• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What was your first computer upgrade and the first system you built from scratch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

I think this could be interesting.

My first computer upgrade that I did by myself was 4mb to 8mb of RAM with a 2.4k to 9.6k modem. I think it was like 300.00 for both.

My first system I built from the ground up was a P166 I think. I screwed the motherboard directly to the case with no standoffs. :)

Well, I was given my first computer and learned about software first at a young age (8). I think my first upgrade hardware wise though was installing a 14.4k external modem lol. Well, thats the first I can remember. I know I played w/ HDD's and ram, I just have no recollection really! That was 20 years ago lol.

Also, the first system I completely built was an AMD K6 200mhz I believe. After that, I made the HUGE jump to a 1ghz Athlon when those came out (I remember scoring one for $200 on ebay, that was dirt cheap then!).

i am around the same corner. my first upgrade was the chip for the commodore c64 and my first build was an amd k6 233mhz on a shuttle board.
goodtimes

My first upgrade was when I was in 5th grade, I bought a CGA videocard at a Garage sale to replace the monochrome videocard in my 8086 rig. I had Megaman on 5 1/4 floppies and it was cool being able to play it in color after that.

The first computer I built from scratch was an AMD K6-2 450 with 64megs PC133, 17.2gig hard drive, and a 16MB 3dfx voodoo banshee. Though I had a Packard Bell right before that where I upgraded pretty much every piece possible.

Last edited:
my first computer upgrade was around 2005 when i upgraded a Celeron D rig from 256MB to 1GB of ram. i suppose compared to a lot of the rest of you i'm a fairly recent addition to the community.

my first hand-built from the ground up system was a pentium D rig with 1GB ram and a 7600 GT. some humble beginnings.

Well apart from upgrading Amiga's and doing some tinkering with 486's (I was all for Amigas back then, didn't like PC's much) The first system I built goes something like this:

PentiumII 350
64MB SDRAM
something like a 6GB HDD
and if I remember right, a TNT2 M64 32MB

All hooked upto a 17" CRT that weighed about the same as a small car, lol

Wow you guys are old! :p My first upgrade was a pink biostar mother board with an overclocked amd sempron, 512 ram, and a 256mb agp video card. I remember saving up a lot of money to do that upgrade. I think that was back in 2002 I was 15 at the time. Brings back memories.

i havn't completely built a homemade system yet but i replace a mobo and processor on a old compaq i used to have, i think it was a asus spv-something and a old 200mhz intel pentium with mmx i think.

edit: there was an s3 virge in it, just looked at it now lol, worst card eva.

Wow you guys are old! :p My first upgrade was a pink biostar mother board with an overclocked amd sempron, 512 ram, and a 256mb agp video card. I remember saving up a lot of money to do that upgrade. I think that was back in 2002 I was 15 at the time. Brings back memories.

Hey, Who you calling old? I'm only 23! JK :p

the first comp I used as a Commoredore VIC-20, I must have been in nappies. lol. After that was a C64 but after my Dad got a Amiga 500 I fell in love with them. Didn't start getting into PC's until about 1997

My first system that I built myself... Hrm.

AMD Athlon XP 1600+
Some cheap Shuttle Motherboard
40GB Maxtor Internal IDE HDD
Some random CD-RW
256mb of some off brand DDR 266Mhz, I think.
Ah... A cheap case with an even cheaper power supply. I didn't know better.
(Coincidentally, the PSU failed quite early. I replaced it with a 450 watt Coolmax, that's still running strong. It's running my server, actually.)

Damn. That seems like eons ago. But, I guess it was only about 5 years ago or so. This was the first computer I had ever put together myself, with parts I ordered. I'd had a bunch of old P2 servers laying about that I'd been Min/Maxing for years before this, though.

The first upgade I did was to a Atari 400, bumped the ram from 16K to 64K, cost me big bucks too, I think the chips were about a buck-fifty at the time, that was a lot of money when your in College and have two kids.

My first build was a IBM Clone 8086, had a memory card that would take the base 640K to 1 meg. Two 5 Meg hard drives, one was MFM and the other was RLL so I had to have two seperate hard drive controlers. (The only bought parts were the processor, motherboard, memory, and the case) I worked at a Computer Rental Company and when something died if the Boss said toss it, I would toss it in my car, then I would try to fix it. Invaluable experance. Oh yea, had a CGA monitor that was tossed also.

:)

Hey Daddyjaxx, like your avatar!

first upgrade would have to be the ram on my computer now, a dell dimension 3000. went from 256MB to 1280MB. same computer i still have right now... :(.

first computer from scratch was a build for my friend a few months ago... AMD based.

my first upgrade was in my dads old compaq 5900z, we changed the video card. i started with pcs when i was 4. i just started building my first custom build. bu then again im only 14.

First upgrade was to add 8 MB RAM to a system that had 4 MB already.

First build was for my mother. AMD slot A 600 MHz.

my first build is the second one listed in my sig, with a few upgrades now.
I screwed the mobo in without stand-offs the first time, took me a month to realize why everything was misaligned. :D

First build is in the sig. First hardware upgrade (for this rig) was my 720 from a 5200+, but in general, we upgraded to a linksys router! Woo woo!

My first upgrade was to double my ram in a 386 desktop machine I had, using those stupid SIPP TO SIMM converters.

My first ground up build was also my first water cooled machine. An AMD 400 with 2x256 ram and a Matrox G450 dual head video card.
I built the water block, used a Danner pond pump and a Ford heater core...you couldn't buy water cooling yet except for a few handmade blocks.
I totally tricked out the case too with a glass side window, led spot lighting, paint, blow holes, and a relay system to start the pump, and it all sat on a box I built to house the cooling.

7 months later, I found OC forums and have been here since. :thup:

*edit: And I'm not old! I'm 6.29 (I count in dog years...it's appropriate).

Last edited:
I guess my first build, rather not my build, but got it built from a hardware guy, it was a Pentium 4 i guess, around the 1997's, the second day i ripped it to components and assembled it again, after that it was a breeze and then went on to build some 15+ pcs for my friends and make some pocket money too :). It was during my engineering college days.

I guess my first build, rather not my build, but got it built from a hardware guy, it was a Pentium 4 i guess, around the 1997's, the second day i ripped it to components and assembled it again, after that it was a breeze and then went on to build some 15+ pcs for my friends and make some pocket money too :). It was during my engineering college days.

Um.. Pentium 2 was out in the 1997..p3 in 1999 and P4 in 2000 i think? etc. You must've been ahead of your time gahahahaha.

@op:

My first computer was given to us i think.. was a celeron 800 mhz, 128mb of SD ram, with some crappy 64mb geforce MX 2 lol. Barely handled warcraft 3/diablo 2 XD. Then we went to a store to get a newer system, 3500+ with 1gb of ddr 400, and 6600gt128mb GT.

Then all builds after that I built myself. Went to 2gb ddr2 with a 4400+ 2.2 ghz, with a 8500GT (replaced 2 weeks later by a HD4850), thennn upped to a 6400+ (waste of time/money), and now finally the rig you see in my sig. I'm more of an upgrader rather than 'obsolete' system then 'brand new' system person XD.

Back