• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phenom matches yorkfield clock for clock!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think so but he has a few people I'm sure around that way.

But the difference was unganged vs ganged. if you look

Still something to look forward to.

I make me a server out of a q6600 but hopefully my april my b-day amd might have there snit together.

I'm and AMD fanboy and I don't think that's a good bench yet. We need to get more CPUs out and BIOS updates before we can qualify it.

As they quite rightly stated, the Yorkfield does at least 4GHz+ on air...and that Phenom is overclocked pretty much to its highest right now.

But still great news that clock:clock they are competing! Hopefully now AMD can catch up!

I thought he works for AMD's chipset division check the vids he made about the overdrive, anyway hopefully then B3 can do 3G but would be great if he could post some RL benches crysis, Universe at war, SC, EP2 whatever, couldn't care less about the 3DM score but better than nothing.

Won't OC as well as the Qs but if finally they can make it work with AM2 a lot of ppl would settle with it.

As they quite rightly stated, the Yorkfield does at least 4GHz+ on air...and that Phenom is overclocked pretty much to its highest right now.

But still great news that clock:clock they are competing! Hopefully now AMD can catch up!

This is good news to a point and I hope AMD makes a come back...but I am enjoying my QX9650 for teh time being....i think they have greatly underestimated thw "on air" oc'ability of the yorkfield (atleast when it comes to QX9650s)...but that is another topic.

Ahem, that doesn't reflect the whole performance spectrum, not to mention the real CPU peformance. I wouldn't get any false illusions.

dan

I would like to see some competition...right now I think AMD just has its price going for it (it is what won me...$100 for a clock unlocked proc...hard to pass up). I just hope that AMD can sort out the whole errata ordeal and get some solid hardware out there that makes intel sweat a little. i think that that would be good for everyone...intel and amd fanboys and girls alike...competition is good for everyone, especially in an industry that moves at the breakneck pace that it does...

You cannot say X > Y at the same clocks based off of one benchmark (with no CPU tests run). The 2 people involved (the ones who submitted those screen, macci and Sampsa) are both notorious benchers, they tweak systems till they can't be tweaked no more, and then they tweak them some more.

I can make a comparison using 5 mins of googling and the same bench (3Dm06) that shows Phenom getting beaten at the same clocks.

In this at XS, KaZzZu runs his 9500 at 2.69ghz and get a CPU score of 3689.

In this review, done over a year ago, a QX6700 at stock, 2.66ghz, gets a CPU score of 3923.

Take single screens with a grain of salt is all I'm trying to say.

so you're saying they tweaked the hell out of the Phenom, but not the yorky?

Where did I say that? I said they BOTH tweak the hell out of their systems, this is hardly what one would call a scientific experiment. There are far too many variables. Come on man, you know what I was saying and you know I'm right too. ;)

macci works for AMD

The compare is accurate (but remember that it's 3DMark 05 only ;))

Phenom won't be doing 4GHz anytime soon on comparable cooling.

macci works for AMD

The compare is accurate (but remember that it's 3DMark 05 only ;))

Phenom won't be doing 4GHz anytime soon on comparable cooling.

2 rigs setup and configured as closely as possible would be more accurate.

From the sounds of the thread, they were having a 'tweak' competition privately, and then posted the results. I could be totally wrong there.

Also, I didn't realize it was for 05...oops.

Talk about cherrypicking a single benchmark and then using it to form a 'conclusion'. Phenom has always been relatively fast (clock for clock) at 3DMark05 CPU...

3dmark2005_cpu.gif

What happens in 3DMark06 CPU though?
3dmark2006_cpu.gif

Interesting isn't it? Is it a coincidence he chose 3DMark05 over 3DMark06? I think not. ;)

Talk about cherrypicking a single benchmark and then using it to form a 'conclusion'. Phenom has always been relatively fast (clock for clock) at 3DMark05 CPU...

Yeah, it's pretty sad how some people can be misled by a pair screenshots.

Real world applications tell the truth even clearer.

Concerning your graphs, I think it's pretty amazing how K10 and C2D demolish K8 in the single threaded CPU tests in '05, we thought K8 was unbeatable around a year and a half ago. How things change :-/.

dan

Back