• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Day Z Mod for Arma II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tokae

I read about this mod on Kotaku last week. I could not get it out of my head and had to try it out. Well I spent the better part of Sunday just running around in this game! Most people wouldn't like that sort of thing but I for some reason do. It seems that a lot of us do, as the servers were packed all weekend.

http://dayzmod.com/

I had never played Arma II before this, but I had read about it. Its a 'realistic' simulator which takes a little getting used to. This mod though takes it further..

Currently the mod is alpha still, and it can be frustating even just trying to get into a server. But once you are in, and comfortable with the controls, its an intense ride.

You are basically thrown into a soviet era world named Chernarus after an infection has killed off most of the population and now zombies inhabit the urban zones. You start off as a Survivor, and if you choose to kill other Survivors, you are then labelled (and your outfit changes) a bandit. Its a giant sandbox game where there are no rules basically.

If you don't feel like walking or running everywhere, you can gather up scrap metal and fix up cars, buses, even a helicopter! You will have to find a jerry can though and refuel the vehicle though!

Life in Chernarus is pretty bleak. I am finding a lot of people are trying meet up with each other to form gangs or packs in order to stay alive. Bandits are always tracking others looking to kill them and steal their inventory and of course the zombies are everywhere and fast!

Anyway, I thought I would pass on the fun/frustration I had with this mod.

:thup:

Stuff:

http://dayzmod.com/

Awesome Map

How to Install Dayz Mod!

Last edited:
They talked about it on Rebel-FM for about 10 minutes on the last podcast, sounds really interesting (although not really for me)

Check out the videos made by some players on youtube if you want to see what its about before buying Arma II and Arma II Operation Arrowhead.

It really takes things to the next level though. Its not like Battlefield where you just die and start back up. You don't want to lose that precious CZ sniper rifle you found in the top of a barn, after killing 3 zombies that caused you to lose half your blood count.

With miles and miles of terrain to scavenge, you will see players off in the distance fighting for their lives against the zombies, and you can help, or kill them, or choose to just sit back and watch it unfold.

Anyway, yeah its not for everyone that is for sure. The servers mimic their timezone and time, so last night at 10:00pm it was pitch black. People were trying to get to safe houses and hunker down for the night. Bandits were out trying to take advantage of the night and steal supplies. Strangers band together, in hopes of fighting off anything or one that is trying to kill you.

Just crazy.

Thanks for making a thread on this, man. This mod looks very, very cool. I love ARMA, and this will just make it so much sweeter. Time to reinstall, methinks.

Thanks for making a thread on this, man. This mod looks very, very cool. I love ARMA, and this will just make it so much sweeter. Time to reinstall, methinks.

No probs! This is the kind of stuff I like and could literally waste days on.

Keep in mind you need Arma II and Arma II: Operation Arrowhead to run this mod.

Currently on Steam they are 40 bucks for the pair. I am sure they will go on sale again though.

If you do have them, there is a really easy guide to follow on how to install and run the mod. Link is below..

Decent video breakdown (nothing fancy, I'm currently at minute 7). First zombie-sighting at about 5:30 I think

Tokae, don't forget you can embed with the yvid /yvid tags here. (with the youtube identifier in between)

ah yes I forgot about the youtube tags.. Nice!

Yeah, currently as it stands, you can find zombies easily within minutes, just walk up to the nearest building and there will be at least 1 usually. The big thing is that you have to find them, because the loot is where they are!

I just really like the open concept stuff like this, and I am a fan of Soviet era disaster stuff (crazy I know).

I've been watching videos of this for dayz now :) The game is raw (understandable since the mod is in alpha and the base game is a couple years old), but the experience I get just from watching the videos is incredible... I'm seriously considering buying Arma 2 Complete Operations just so I can play this mod... This thing is very much like The Walking dead and I like that a lot... I watched about an hour of video last night... A group of 8 guys teamed up together and started making their way North to find the air field... They lost 3 guys to zombies in the first 30 minutes and kept on going with just 5 survivors... They were pretty close to the airfield and one of them made a small mistake and got spotted by a zombie... They had a horde of about 20 of them coming after them in seconds and the guy that appeared to be the leader of the group just turned around and shot the guy that got them spotted a couple times, that slowed him down and the zombies got distracted going to town on him while the other four ran for cover and saved themselves... They were on voice chat and the "leader" guy told the "fifth" guy that he was getting shot for being and idiot and putting them in danger... Very tense moments.

I like this game A LOT!!!!

No probs! This is the kind of stuff I like and could literally waste days on.

Keep in mind you need Arma II and Arma II: Operation Arrowhead to run this mod.

Currently on Steam they are 40 bucks for the pair. I am sure they will go on sale again though.

If you do have them, there is a really easy guide to follow on how to install and run the mod. Link is below..

I have both, Idk if it will make a difference, but my ARMA 2 is a boxed copy, and my ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead is on Steam.

I have both, Idk if it will make a difference, but my ARMA 2 is a boxed copy, and my ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead is on Steam.

Yeah you need to have both. Under steam you have to run it as 'combined operations' I believe its called.

I bought both just for this mod.

Seebs LOL, I have been watching videos also, its like watching a show! Its definitely cool. I cant wait for the mod to be polished a bit and hit beta..

Yeah you need to have both. Under steam you have to run it as 'combined operations' I believe its called.

I bought both just for this mod.

Seebs LOL, I have been watching videos also, its like watching a show! Its definitely cool. I cant wait for the mod to be polished a bit and hit beta..

So I have the non-Steam Arma 2, but the Steam version of Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, so will the Steam version read my non-steam Arma 2, or do they both need to be either the boxed or Steam vers to work?

So I have the non-Steam Arma 2, but the Steam version of Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, so will the Steam version read my non-steam Arma 2, or do they both need to be either the boxed or Steam vers to work?

I am not too sure zitnik, click start on the steam one, and see if you can run 'combined forces'

After that, you need to follow the instructions in the youtube video I posted originally, it shows how to install the mod and run it..

*Edit: Combined Operations is option to choose. Sorry!

Last edited:
I saw this thread and watched some youtube videos last night. I am impressed. This seems like a great idea. Now to find some people to play with!

I saw this thread and watched some youtube videos last night. I am impressed. This seems like a great idea. Now to find some people to play with!

The servers are full non stop! It would be nice to join a server with a bunch of friends and really go at it though..

I am currently running a 2nd character who is a bandit. I am out to kill everything and loot everyone. :snipe:

I am heading waaay up north to devils castle to see whats up..

i have arma II on steam is it still possible to apply the patch to a steam version and do i need a expansion?

Also the reason i never played ARMAII properly was because of the insane mouse lagg. Aparently it was attached to vsync. This wasnt due to the realism aspect but rather was an issue with the game.

Its a bad vid but you can see what i mean :s

Apparently he solved it bu taking off mouth smoothing. Maybe i didnt look into it enough tbh!

Can anyone supply a download link for me to get the mod from?

Hey Xander,

You do have to have Arma II Operation Arrowhead as well as Arma II to run the mod..

Yes I turned off VSync as well because of that mouse lag issue, it runs great now!

I have a link to the mod in first post..

Hey Xander,

You do have to have Arma II Operation Arrowhead as well as Arma II to run the mod..

Yes I turned off VSync as well because of that mouse lag issue, it runs great now!

I have a link to the mod in first post..

oops my bad will have a look :) darn i need the expansion. Wonder how much it is on steam :p

I bought em both on there for 20 bucks each!

The youtube link shows how to install the mod also :)

Also how do you download the Mod? It seems like i have to download all the files individually! I'm probs just being stupid

ah ive just looked at the swedish mirror not the US they seem to have different files, there is also a "installer" and "old" parts which confused me lol

Last edited:
Yeah you have to download each file separately... Once you do install them, keep checking that site for updated files!

It is somewhat of a pain but, I am still enjoying the game. :)

Last night I wanted to try to make some progress, and when I joined the servers, it was around 9:00pm EST, it was complete darkness. On top of that it was raining like CRAZY. It went on like that for about an hour or a little more.

I just gave up trying to get gear in the cities and proceeded to run north. 1.5 hours later, I am finally up near the big airfield. I stopped along the way to check out the Green Mountain, which has a huuuge antenna on it. No buildings I could enter though, aside from climbing halfway up the tower.

After sightseeing there, I began my trek northward again, upward. Here is my take on this:

You will notice in the chat that a lot of new comers are meeting at the 2 big cities, cherno and electro. Bandits are there waiting for them and sniping everyone. I gave up on going there and I am checking out the rest of the map.

I suspect the 'real' players are up north in the woods and NOT using the in game chat. They will be using direct chat, or their own voice system like Vent or TeamSpeak.

I have seen some videos of groups who are nowhere near the big cities, with jeeps and helis hidden in the forest. It takes time to find the parts and rebuild them, but now they are a fully mobile force. I aim to either steal their stuff or make my own jeep/car/bus etc.

This game is incredibly deep!

Group of Bandits with a chopper!

Last edited:
Back