• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any benefits of two fans on a rad @ 7 volts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Fopr someone that has no equipment or time to chase around looking for a right sized heatercore and then spend time at a harware store looking for the correct parts.........then D-Tek is a steal. I mean I calculated the cost of Danny's operation and Im amazed at the great prices he sells the heatercores with shrouds in particular.

Like DV said before, if you go out and buy a heatercore locally or order one from autozone, it will cost you $27.00
Then add the cost of the barbs $4.00 + cost of tools (ie. torch , solder, flux , ) $20.00

Then if you want and make a nice shroud as Danny makes.....then that will cost you:
-sheet metal $7.00
-metal scissors $13.00
-brake (for bending sheet metal) $40.00
-adhesives (solicone and the likes) $8.00

So you see all the do-it-ur-self stuff is fun, but for a average Joe with no tools nore skills, the $50 he would pay for a ready to use-no hassle heatercore with shroud from Dtek can easily turn into a + $100 project.
So instead of trashing a hardworking business, you should be thanking Danny for providing such a great service.

FYI Guys I really came off the wrong way on their actual products and I do apologize to who ever it may concern. Don't avoid them like the plague; it's just a personal issue. Just like some people don't use Eheim pumps because they're more expensive, so it's the same for me about D-Tek’s heater cores and shrouds.

Their products seem to be of good quality so don't let me come across otherwise.

quote:
I was gonna run ducting from the area behind my case to the top and have fans on each end pulling the air through

Well you can never have too much planning so! How exactly do you mean with the ducting? Are you talking have the heater core installed in the tip top of the case with a duct running along the top of the case to be back? Also I'd like to know if this is the case, then the reason behind it. Are there special considerations that you have to do this because of?

Btw Dodge Viper that's one of the best ones of all time. I wish more people would use it. We use to each his own and a few more on the UA drumline all the time <=)

-Toys

Edit:
My math still stands, it costs $18.18 (16.99+ local 7% sales tax) to drive to a local Autozone and buy any heater core. If it's not in stock THEY WILL have it in a timely manner. I assume yall are talking about ordering one online and having it shipped?

Last edited:
Basic suggestions

1)
run two 120's but not at 7 volt off your power supply,
feed them with a walwart transformer
2 X .63 amp 120mm fans on 200ma 12v transformer is just about perfect for quiet.

2)
the height of the rad is zero in most cases. if inlet and outlet in whatever form are immersed. Once the water goes up the first time gravity pulls down on half (<edit gravity pulls on both sides) of your loop. Sucking the water behind it (ala siphon) therefore 0" head.

3)
join all 120 volt lines to a power bar, cube or junction. Results in "all on" or "all off"

Last edited:
Wow, lots of posts since I last looked.

I have read the comments about dtek, but seeing as I am in UK it doesnt really matter.

Ill explain a little more about the ducting/case thing.
My current chosen case is a Lian-Li PC70. In the back of this case where the PSU goes, there is a gap above the PSU of about ~6" I was going to put the rad there, with a fan behind it and run a little bit of tubing up to the top of my case with another fan.

Coldmop: This is my fault entirely, but I dont understand a word you said! Your gonna have to put it in PLAIN English :) !

Note: I just took a look on Dtek site and there are a few things i like, and converting the dollars to ££, the prices are about the same as stuff over here anyway, mostly cos its all imorted anyway!!

Thanks for the tips guys.

Also, can I just check with people.. Can the Eheim 1250 pump be submersed in water? I am asking only because I have seen a pump by Eheim that sez Submersible in the title...

Ok I understand what you mean now. Brain fart on my part. Yea! Sevrial people here have done that and it seems to work very well. Yes the Ehiem's are submersible.

-Toysrme

LOL@ the brain fart!!

ANd also after reading through coldmops suggestions again I understand point 3, about having all the power cords in one socket so when its switched on everything come on...

yeh that's the one. It is the easiest way to make sure your don't forget pump/and fans without setting up a relay. Kind of like tying a string around your finger to remember something.

A walwart transformer is the kind that is the little cube that plugs into the wall. They are used to power answering machines, battery chargers, or a thousand other things. Find the right one and your fans can have their own dedicated power supply which is nice.

I gave an example of 2 120mm 12 volt .63 amp fans running off of a walwart transformer which is rated 200milliAmp @ 12 volt.
This just happens to be one set up I could see at the moment.
It provides a nice mass of air very quietly.

The rad position comment had to do with the fact that once the cooling lines are filled they don't have voids in them. Therefore they reside in a primed state and the pump dosen't have to lift the water to the height of the rad because the siphon action caused by the return part of the loop assists it. If you had just a pump and a hose it wouldn't matter if the hose was verticle or horizontal the flow would be the same or at least close. So unless you set up some unconventional cooling loop the rad or pump height might be considered a non issue.

Cool, Thanks for clearing that up coldmop.

Im almost set now. Just need to remortgage the house so I can get all my new stuff and Im off!

Couple of requests: does anyone have a guide on making a clear res?

and

Does anyone have a guide to making a 12 to 7 volt curcuit for tunning fans?

Thanks a lot, Mark

This is a pretty good guide to making baybuses.
.cliff's guide
Cliff makes most of the schematics very clear so just follow them closely and you'll have a baybus in no time

I recommend making the 12V/off/7V circuit with dual LEDs. I'd stay clear of the rheobuses.....atleast for your first project, most fans run very quietly at 7V.
GL

Back