• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my board shot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zephos

I recently RMA'd my video card because I thought it was causing random shutdowns. I got the new card, hooked it up, and no problems at all.

However, after about 2 days, I'm getting a new crash. Where before it used to make odd buzzing noises and just restart, now I'm getting crazy artifacts. Lines of pink and green, and when it's booting even the white/black screens have little lines all all over it.

I heard that if the boot screens are colored, the motherboard is bad. However, one time it recovered from it and I got a message that my graphics driver had crashed and recovered. I updated but it still crashed. I'm going to run memtest86+ next time it dies.

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R1.0
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 2win

The first time it happened it was shutting down, next time I was playing Borderlands 2, next time I had just opened Skype.

Anyone? I reset everything to "optimized defaults", because I was overclocked some, and still I have this problem.

That still sounds like video card to me, not mobo. Look into what tungureanu asked about above (PSU and temps, specifically GPU temps), and I think we'll be better suited to help you troubleshoot your issue!

It's a XFX 850W Pro, and while my H60 loop used to keep my CPU around 35° at load, it's now idling around 45°. All other temps very aacceptable. I've been on mobile, all specs in sig, but now the CPU is at default clock (3.4GHz)

It's a XFX 850W Pro, and while my H60 loop used to keep my CPU around 35° at load, it's now idling around 45°. All other temps very aacceptable. I've been on mobile, all specs in sig, but now the CPU is at default clock (3.4GHz)

How about GPU temps under full load? Can you reproduce the crashes by running stress tests (either CPU or GPU)?

I have some pictures for you, first of the actual glitches. It seems to happen more on my second screen, which is an HDMI connection.

Here it's just a blank screen but with weird pixels on it.
20130617_164535.jpg

This is after I crashed and rebooted.
20130617_190836.jpg

Now this is my temps while playing Borderlands 2.
20130617_192944.jpg

And finally my blue screen reader, with the last few that have happened from this new glitch. I don't totally understand how to read these.
BlueScreenReader.jpg

i've had something very similar to what you have(now that i see what i does) mine only worked with the stock windows driver . I RMA'd the card ( HD7850 ). It had a melted trace on the PCB witch made the connection between the GPU and vram. Maybe get a cheap nvidia card f, test to see if that fixes it, if it does then return the new card, and RMA the old one. That's what i did. :D

Well damn. This is a newly RMA'd card too. I don't think I'll ever buy anything from EVGA again, because their RMA process is complicated, annoying, and it took 2 full weeks from mailing to receiving.

I think I'm going back to work soon, so I'll just buy a really nice card, like a 770 or something.

My guess is , that since they don't make the 460 anymore, the new card is just a "fixed" card they had around the workshop. Why not try the above mentioned procedure?

That first pic (the artifacts on the blank screen) look similar to issues I've had with fried RAM on my graphics cards in the past. The second picture looks almost like a low-color-palette problem, and not a hardware error at all. All of the crashes you've been describing look to be nVidia driver related, hinting at a GPU problem.

Do you have multiple PCIe slots on that motherboard? Try the card in another slot and see what happens. Try removing any other expansion cards too, for troubleshooting's sake.

I know for a fact that it was refurbished. As for your procedure, tungureanu, I'm flat broke...I have nothing right now.

I do have other PCIe slots, I actually have 3x16 slots I think. I'll do it the next time I feel productive.

Ive been waiting for a call about work, whether they need me for the summer or not, for 3 weeks. I'm just gonna call tomorrow.

Back