• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NZXT Switch 810 Black Case Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can't wait for this case to come out on newegg, getting that so I can mount my black ice extreme III in this bad boy and get rid of most of the noise :D! looks really well built and is extremely usefull

Hum... thank's I guess it could be done. Too bad they didn't do it in the first place...

yeah I know I just saw it there, but I really want the black version, I like the matte finish plus black is much easier to match my system.

However, it's possible to drill out your own holes on the lower bays to allow mounting an ODD further back for using the stealth cover.

Thanks, that's good to know. I can consider the thicker radiators again. I'm considering a 360 vs 420 now just due to lack of good 140mm fans though.

mmMMmm.. I actually like the white one a lot but newegg wants $68 shipping for me :eek:

Come on Amazon prime!

So shipping isn't $15 like it says on their webpage?

I shipped my Switch via FedEx and it was just over $68... Unfortunately, the box was 2" too big to get $40 shipping through USPS, and since it was too big they were going to charge a $66 surcharge on top of the $40 shipping for a total of $106. I walked out of there as soon as I heard surcharge...lol.

So shipping isn't $15 like it says on their webpage?

$15 is probably correct for most people but I live in Hawaii. Newegg will only ship 2nd day air fedex to me for anything. So the lowest shipping I can get is about $26 - even if I just wanted a single case screw. Amazon on the other hand is awesome. I get free 2 day fedex shipping often with them.

The Switch 810 is officially lizard approved!
photobucket-5628-1328210292341.jpg

Just got my black one today, and its a really nice case. Like many, I would have preferred a matte finish, but the overall quality of the gloss paint is pretty good. I have my concerns about the finish near the seems of the door...the way it opens and closes means that you'll create chips and other defects in very short order if you are constantly opening and closing the panel. Though this applies to many cases...I've just been spoiled with previous cases that opened incredibly easy.

For $170, the Switch 810 is a great value...especially if you are like me and have a large WCing setup.

Finished my build...here are my thoughts.

The Switch 810 worked very well...I have a few complaints, but overall its great case and a great value.
What I liked:
  • Tons of room...even though the case isn't very big (relatively :D).
  • Radiator mounts worked perfectly.
  • Upper fan slats really do make a difference in noise (at a reduction of cooling of course).
  • Wire management grommets are placed perfectly.
  • LED I/O back-lighting is actually amazingly functional...something you don't realize you need until you have it.
  • Integrated SD card reader.
  • Fan filters are easily cleaned.
  • Plenty of space for large radiators and push pull fans...though you loose the uppermost 5.25" drive bay if you go push/pull.
  • Spring loaded thumbscrew is a nice compromise for a low cost easy to remove side panel.
What I am indifferent about:
  • PSU was a tight fit...though it could very well be my PSU.
  • 5.25" drive bay hidden faceplate snags on my DVD drive when I try to close the tray....though I rarely use my DVD drive.
  • There are not enough wire zip-tie locations on back of motherboard tray, especially on the side closest to the drive bays.
  • They could have used a touch more space behind the mobo tray for wiring...1/4" more would have been amazing.
  • 5.25" drive bay tool-less mechanisms work well, though there is a slight misalignment if you use a screw on the opposite side.
  • No integrated fan controller (can easily be circumvented by wiring fan-hub for 5/7v operation)
  • Bundled fans aren't the highest quality (2 of the 4 that came with my case have problems, imbalanced and making noises).
  • If you take the side panels off on a routine basis, expect the paint to start wearing and chipping if you aren't extremely careful.

What I didn't like:
  • Overall build quality is a bit loose (what you get for the price). The front fan filter panel on my case doesn't quite line up with the rest of the faceplate.
  • No easy place to lift the case from the bottom due to the fan filters being in the way (when you grab the bottom the fan filters get smashed). You basically have to bear hug the case to lift it.
  • Optical quality of the window is terrible...and it scratches easily.
  • The glossy finish is a fingerprint MAGNET!! Glossy plastic develops swirl marks extremely easily. Overall, I don't expect the exterior finish to hold up if you are constantly fiddling with the case.

The case is a nice value for $170. However if you don't plan on stuffing this thing full of watercooling gear, there are better options for less money...the regular Phantom full tower being one of them. Because of how thin the panels are and how loose fitting everything is, I feel like the case is going to fall apart when I try to move it. The paint is also suspect...I really don't think its going to hold up to constant use.
All that said, I really do like the case and am extremely happy with my purchase. Not many cases would accept my water cooling setup as easily as this case did, and still have tons of room for all my other gear. NZXT made some compromises for keep the price down, and if you really start looking you'll spot them. But at the end of the day, this case is a great starting point for an awesome system. And without further ado, here is what I was able to accomplish in a few hours. I would have taken pictures of the back panel, but I'm too scared to open it with all the wires ready to pounce lol :p

Bad Connection - nice! Thanks for the pics. It gives me some ideas on how to set mine up when it comes in.

How did you mount your res/pump?

How much room is there between the top of your video card and the side panel? Think I can fit a 2" diameter reservoir there?

Could you just pull out the bottom filters if you need to lift the case from the bottom?

I have to say I'm a bit unhappy with NZXT at the moment. I ordered the case from them yesterday morning after canceling my Amazon order (since amazon won't have them for over a week). After putting in my address it gave me the option of fedex ground for $32 (over $100 for 2 day air) - ok, I'm used to paying shipping for Hawaii.

Check the site today and it has no record of my order. I call them up and the guy who answers says they don't ship to Hawaii. I give him my order number and then he says they can ship but it's ~$80 fedex ground. I say nah, cancel the order - I'll order it from amazon with free shipping (just gotta wait for them to have it in stock). He said they had already canceled it.

Why didn't I get an e-mail that they had canceled my order? Why did the website tell me one price for shipping and then they more than double it?

edit:
I just re-ordered from amazon. With Prime I am getting fedex overnight for $12.99. Now I just hope they get in them in next week like another nzxt rep told me..

Last edited:
Bad Connection - nice! Thanks for the pics. It gives me some ideas on how to set mine up when it comes in.

How did you mount your res/pump?

How much room is there between the top of your video card and the side panel? Think I can fit a 2" diameter reservoir there?

Could you just pull out the bottom filters if you need to lift the case from the bottom?

A 2" diameter res would fit perfectly between the video card and the side panel, as there is roughly 3" of space there. that is actually where I was going to mount mine, but I chose a different location for various reasons.
I ended up mounting my pump to the back of the mobo tray with a large zip tie. There was a small cutout out there making it easy to do...I put some foam between the pump and the mobo tray to reduce vibration. I have a large heatsink epoxied to the bottom of my pump, making it a bit more difficult to position then your standard DDC. All in all, I chose this mount because it offered the easiest tubing routing and allowed me to use all my special rotary fittings. I could have just as easily mounted it on top of the PSU right next to the video card...though doing so would make adding extra video cards for crossfire/sli hard to do.

If you remove the rear fan filter, there is a nice solid piece of metal to lift the case with. On the front, not so much. Behind the fan filter is a hole for mounting the bottom fans and a small metal cross-brace that simply isn't strong enough to support a fully loaded system. If you try and lift from the very front panel, it flexes. You have to grab the case from the bottom mounted feet...and this is hard to do when the case is resting on them :p. So the best way is to just slide the front towards the edge of your desk and grab the feet as they become exposed.

The case is easy enough to move, it just feels awkward because its a bit flimsy. Everything flexes and creeks, and it doesn't inspire confidence if you get what I'm saying. My system is probably heavier then most due to the radiators and lots of hard drives, but my last case (steel Chieftec full tower), which was even heavier, was a lot easier to move because it simply felt solid in my hands.
However I'd imagine any case with bottom mounted fan filters and open fan cutouts would have this issue.

Is it me or are they're no speaker on this case?

What is the male sata power coming from the case for?

Last edited:
No beep at start if there an error then ? That s****....

It cost me all of $2.50 to go down to my local electronics store and buy a case speaker. In all honesty I just thought MattNo5ss forgot to ship it with the case :p....guess NZXT found a way to save money :D

Back