• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 300W enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
I have an 8K3a+, XP1800, one HD, a CD Rom, and a floppy. I'm not getting anything when I hit the power button. Fans go, little LED lights up, but no post on the screen or on the LED panel.

I was wondering if the Antec sx830 w/300watt ps might be the problem...

Any ideas?

Wedo

The wattage is probably not the problem. I have a 8k3a with a Tbird 1.4 @ 10.5 X 147 (1.800 vcore), Geforce4Ti4200 (280/500), 7200 RPM HD, sound card, NIC card, two CD drives, one floppy drive, five 80mm fans (two with LEDs), one 60mm CPU fan, two 8" neons, and two small 12v blue lamps that I use for "headlights". All this running fine on an Antec 330-watt power supply. My fans are wired to a baybus, and it runs fine when they are are toggled to the 5v rail also.

My previous rig was almost the same (lights a little different) and it ran fine on a generic 300w PS that came with the case.

In my opinion, the overclocking forums are infested with people who have power supply fetishes. I'd be willing to bet my rig would run fine on a 250-watt power supply also.

I have the same problem with one of my machines... Actually, it worked great for about a day, then when I shut it down, it wouldn't boot up, and has the same symptoms you described. It is an 8k3a+ with XP1900, one hdd, one floppy and one CD on an Antec 300Watt. I have an identical system that is running perfectly... I haven't yet swapped PS's to see if that is the problem, but sure seems like that is what zonked out on me.

Back