• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC *** READ THIS FIRST ***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow this was an awesome read and a great guide for beginners. Even though I've read all the stickies a thousand times and have set up a few loops, I still learned a few things. I might just start directing people to this article specifically instead of just saying "go read the stickies".

Awesome write up hokie!

Thanks so much!

First time poster and actually joined as a result of this post. These forums have been a great resource to me in the past few months. I have a single 120 loop for cpu only and am looking to expand it in the coming year. Thanks a bunch for this. :clap:

Oh no, another new guy to H20 cooling...

Considering going water-cooling just for cpu...
Current system:
Corsair 600T case
Asus P8P67-D MB
i7-2600k
Corsair Vengeance mem
Sapphire 5870 (will not OC)
Corsair HX850 PS

Son and I are gamers and want a big OC if the cpu cooperates.... @ 4.6-5.0ghz.

Will this case fit the water-cooling components easily?
What am I looking at approximately, cost-wise, for best H20 components setup?

Thanks for any help/suggestions...

Considering going water-cooling just for cpu...
Current system:
Corsair 600T case
Asus P8P67-D MB
i7-2600k
Corsair Vengeance mem
Sapphire 5870 (will not OC)
Corsair HX850 PS

Son and I are gamers and want a big OC if the cpu cooperates.... @ 4.6-5.0ghz.

Will this case fit the water-cooling components easily?
What am I looking at approximately, cost-wise, for best H20 components setup?

Thanks for any help/suggestions...

Should start your own thread. WHat are you looking to cool? CPU only? GPU only? Both? Case is OK, would do fine for a CPU only loop, you'd have to do a bit of cutting (I think) for a dual loop. You're lookin ~$300 for a new CPU loop, but you can easily cut that in half by going used. $500 or so is about where cpu+gpu loops start. It's not cheap. It's a hobby, not a next step from air. There's maintenance, there's setup, there's a lot of stuff that you've gotta do that you don't have to with air.

m0r7if3r...you state...
"WHat are you looking to cool? CPU only? GPU only?"...

My post states "...water-cooling just for cpu..."

So, around @ $300 for a cpu loop with best components?

m0r7if3r...you state...
"WHat are you looking to cool? CPU only? GPU only?"...

My post states "...water-cooling just for cpu..."

So, around @ $300 for a cpu loop with best components?

You should really start your own thread for this, but price is relative TBH. I built one system for ~$600 and another for half again as much...

Only thing that really stuck out in my mind was that you mentioned swiftech a lot when referencing products an had one dead link (the apogee XT testing). You also didn't mention the jingway pump series or talk about the benefits of single vs dual loops (though it was already a PRETTY long guide, so I'm not sure how much you could add)...but that's just me being overly critical.

Honestly most people will NEVER run a dual loop. Heck most of the Dual loops that I do see are absolute overkill and/or set up solely as a bragging item (for lack of a better term).

Great guide! Hopefully it answers many of the common questions or gives a starting point to work from.

I just wanted to post my thanks. I had a few questions about tubing and ID/OD stuff as its been 7-8 years since I ran any water cooling gear.

It's worth it if you're ready to enter the obsession. Looks, silence, performance...it's all there. You just need to be ready to take the plunge. :thup:

Wow. Really, really sweet article. Probably the best how-to Watercooling article I've ever read. Seriously. Covers just about every little thing from components to planning,corrosion, and radiators. My hat's off to you good sir. :thup:

It's worth it if you're ready to enter the obsession. Looks, silence, performance...it's all there. You just need to be ready to take the plunge. :thup:

Yea, thats what I am most concerned about. The maintenence, and the time. I am not sure I f am ready to commit to that yet.

I mean, the payout definitely seems worth it. But it is a bit frightening. Also a little expensive.

I have just recently started reading and learning about water cooling and I have a question about the guide. Why do you have to rinse out the radiator multiple times? What is there to be cleaned out of a new part / old part? What would happen if it was not rinsed out?

Back