• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Going copper(using copper pipes inplace of tubes)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TonyMc

Disclaimer:
I want to make it clear that I am not claiming that this is my idea or something new.This has been done by others with great success.
There is a plethora of info and pictures of other copper pipe builds on another site if you want to "google" it.
Everything I'm doing here I gleaned from another thread from another site... It's where I got the idea in the first place...
:)

Goal:
As I stated above I stumbled across some copper pipe builds and instantly wanted to try it. I have a touch of OCD(who of us doesn't right?)and loved the looks of the straight lines, the symmetrical bends, and the copper color.
I had to do this. :drool:

Getting Started:
I knew it was going to be hard. Math was never my strong suit and the bends have to be spot on... It was a guessing game for me, trial and error. I went through about 30' of copper to get about 5' +/- worth of bends :rolleyes:

Parts List:
Tube bender: http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-Tube-Bending-Tool-Lever-Style-T074/100160683#.UYnUycoZxmM
Tube cutter: http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-104-Tubing-Cutter-32985/100021967#.UYnVCcoZxmM
Copper tube: http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-8-in-x...-Pipe-D-06020PS/202287075?N=bqew#.UYnVbcoZxmM
Push in fittings: http://www.ebay.com/itm/260453196642?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

On To The Pics:
Copper tubing, tools, and fittings...

These are a push-in type fitting sold on ebay. These are really meant for nylon tube and to be used for air lines, but WCing doesn't produce high pressures so they're OK for WCing. They have a little teeth inside that grab onto the copper pipe and kind of work like Chinese hand cuffs. You can pull the pipe out unless you push and hold the blue ring in.
I posted the link to these if anyone is interested.
100_0372_zpsfe3e1335.jpg

The copper tubing I bought at Home Depot. It's 3/8" OD annealed for refrigeration. It comes in 10' or 20' rolls. I also bought the tube bender and tubing cutter there. I posted the links above.
100_0369_zps3952bd60.jpg

Last edited:
Pipe bending 101:

This is a copper tube cutter. It uses pressure to cut the tubing. You can see the little wheel(the cutter blade) and the rollers.
If you get one you'll see it's pretty self explanatory, but all you do is place the tubing on the rollers, tighten it down with the knob, but only use enough pressure so the blade just grabs the pipe. don't over tighten or you will crush the tubing and not be able to do the next step. Now turn the entire cutter 2-3 times around the tube. Tighten the knob again and repeat 2-3 turns. Keep doing this until it's cut.

100_0436_zps9f8b1e16.jpg

100_0437_zpsb4b3fed4.jpg

Here's what the cut will look like after the first coupletwists.
100_0439_zpscd7a5ca8.jpg

The cutter will taper the end of the pipe like so.
100_0445_zps8ef271ed.jpg

You want to mark your tubing where you want the bend. I found that the bend from 90° to 90° measured 23mm. I also discovered on this particular bender that the R(right) marking put the bend center.

100_0418_zps9fa1a605.jpg

Start off by lining up the 0 marks. Use nice even pressure and don't stop until you get to your desired angle.
100_0420_zpsd864256a.jpg

You should have a nice clean bend like this:
100_0421_zps4200e65d.jpg

Last edited:
could you get a close up of the reservoir particularly at the bottom?

Looking REAL good btw, grats on the build. Cant wait to see the polished.

Wanting to see the piping orientation, in/out. Also what brand is it? I was initially wanting to pipe mine with all connections at the bottom but changed mind at one point and now thinking of changing mind again. That's all.

Tony, no need for extra pics on res, I could see them in other thread.

Last edited:
Aesthetically pleasing, nothing more other than the challenge of doing it and the looks.

This^^. Nothing more than just looks and the challenge of doing it...:thup:

I'll get a close up of the res tonight for ya Daag. Anything about the res you need to know before hand?

Dude,

This is awesome, congrats!!!!! Send more pictures plz and describe more details of the experience. How long did it take? How hard was it? I imagine making the tubes the right length and bend them in exactly the right position and angle may be a big challenge.

You the man!

Dude,

This is awesome, congrats!!!!! Send more pictures plz and describe more details of the experience. How long did it take? How hard was it? I imagine making the tubes the right length and bend them in exactly the right position and angle may be a big challenge.

You the man!

I've got quite a few pics to go through and I'll get them posted...
I'll do a little "how-to" with pics on bending the pipe too.:thup:
It took me 10hrs +/- to complete and yes, it was very hard. Very frustrating at times. I went through about 30' of copper tubing to get 5' of bends. Trigonometry is not my forte so it was challenging to say the least. I actually did that big, multi bend from CPU to the top rad on the first try, but the small bend going from GPU back to res was the one that gave me so much trouble...:bang head

Looking good! Nice bends and hoping your temps are good.

I did take some before idle and load temp screenshots. I'll do the same for after.
I wish I had a way to check flow rate. I have a flow meter, but it's just a visual paddle wheel. No real readings...

That looks amazing. may i ask what case your useing?
also have you considered nickel plating the outside of the copper tubing. that would look like a million bucks imo.

I've seen guys nickel plate them before and it does look nice, but I prefer polished copper. I just need to pick up some 1000 grit sandpaper and get to it...:)
The case is a Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24...

could you get a close up of the reservoir particularly at the bottom?

Looking REAL good btw, grats on the build. Cant wait to see the polished.

Wanting to see the piping orientation, in/out. Also what brand is it? I was initially wanting to pipe mine with all connections at the bottom but changed mind at one point and now thinking of changing mind again. That's all.

Tony, no need for extra pics on res, I could see them in other thread.

For you Daag.
100_0394_zps7ade3e7a.jpg

100_0395_zpsbc15d761.jpg

Last edited:
Back