• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air 540 WC Build Log

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bamato

This is going to be a slow one, but I'm excited to start it nonetheless. With Christmas around the corner, I'll be purchasing parts at a slower pace than I would like, but I still wanted to start a thread in the meantime.

The case arrived this weekend, and I'm very pleased and excited to see all the room I have to work with.

(on a quick note, do people prefer attached pics hosted by OCF, or photobucket hosted images?) And how do I caption individual images that are OCF hosted? :-/

20131103_174937_zps28acc302.jpg

20131103_175134_zpsb7792a57.jpg

20131103_175259_zps635360a9.jpg

20131103_175445_zpsd6f0aa5d.jpg

20131103_175500_zps45ad4995.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to this, I may buy this thing...

Anyway, I prefer they are attached via the forum with this method (you do not want 3rd party as they go away and some, like me, are blocked at the office: OCFinsertimages.png

Awesome, thank you. I've seen that many times, but never bothered to read past step two (lazy of me).

I should have all my current components migrated over from my CM Storm Enforcer by the end of this weekend (at which time I will also be converting to braided cables). I've enjoyed the case, but it's limited on water cooling options.

Currently (and this could change) I'm going for sort of a black-out look on all the components with the exception of the water lines (which will be rigid UV acrylic or copper) to really offer some contrast. Which brings up a question as well, can you use any old spray paint on heatinks without affecting their ability to dissipate heat well (thinking power section of mobo)?

I broke down and bought one.. it will be on my doorstep today... Not doing a build log as it is just a daily driver.. not epic.

Still looking forward to seeing this when its done! :)

This is my current shopping list for this build (subject to changes ;) )

shopping list.jpg

I'd actually like to do copper lines, but I could see that getting expensive. But who knows, I could still go that route.

Subbed. I am liking where this is going.

I am really amazed at that case. Like the engineering aspect of things. I think it air cools better than the 800D let alone water cool. If I didn't have 3 other cases leftover (Antec from the 1900s century, Antec 1200 and 800D) I would've looked at grabbing this one up. Really like the fact it can be a tower or sit on its side.

I think it air cools better than the 800D
A shoebox cools better than the 800D dude... that thing (800D) has ONE intake on it. Not a HAF case by any stretch of the imagination.

I honestly really liked how well wire management can be done in it. The fact that the SATA cables are almost completely isolated to the other side is very nice.

Thought I would upload some benches on air in my current CM Storm enforcer. Fan setup is as follows:

2x120 CM Sickle flow in the front grill
1x120 CM Sickle flow rear exhaust
1x120 CM Sickle flow side intake over vid card
2x120 Cougar CF-V12HPB top fans (rear fan exhaust, forward fan intake)

23° Ambient

3d mark 7228.png

Prime95 23°C.png

Last edited:
More progress pictures. Sorry for the not so great photos. The girlfriend was cleaning like a madwoman, and she had all the blinds in the house open, and all the lights on.

Out with the old.

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

In with the new.

IMG_1357.JPG

LOTS of space to work in. Especially sine the top grill comes out.

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

The tool-less PSU installation was very nice.

IMG_1361.JPG

I saw no sense in making this look nice. When I swap the loop in, then I'll work more on the back side stuff.

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

Already dusty. The benefit of living in AZ with carpeting.

IMG_1368.JPG

Not sure if I like being able to see directly into the grill like this. It won't be a huge deal when there is a radiator in the front grill, but for now, it looks a bit amiss.

IMG_1369.JPG

I'll post some bench results soon. This way I can compare before and after.

Last edited:
Tiny update. Ordered my pump/res so I can start fitting it. I don't think I'll be able to fit it where I had originally planned in the display side, so it may end up going on the backside.

Goodies came in the mail today....

20131206_222624.jpg

I was surprised to see that the stickers don't come attached to the rads these days. And also pleased at how hefty and well built these are :)

Back