• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which motherboard should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't like the nividia chipsets for overclocking and I don't think MSI makes as good a product these days as Asus does. With the MSI board you are paying more for the onboard video.

Well, the user base for nvidia chipset bords in recent years has dwindled drastically. Look at the huge number of board offerings on NewEgg that have AMD chipsets compared to nvidia. One thing that tells me is the board manufacturers are focusing their attention on making AMD chipset boards. It also seems to me that (back last summer anyway) we were getting an awful lot of posters on this forum who were having problems with nvidia chipset boards. Having said all that, if you are wholeheartedly committed to running SLI video you have no choice but nvidia. SLI is proprietary nvidia technology. Crossfire is the AMD equivalent. However, if you are intending to run only one video card it will run just as good on an AMD chipset board as it will on an nvidia board.

I also prefer amd over nvidia ever since the nforce 4, always seems to be a bug or limitation with nvidia chipsets that never seems to happen with amd. I prefer nvidia gpus but I would rather sacrifice sli than use another nvidia chipset and be the victim of those problems that always show up on them boards.

On good AMD chipset boards the X6's will usually OC to 4.0 GHz and maybe more depending on how good the cooling is. X4's will clock easily to 3.8 GHz and often to 4.0 GHz with better cooling. If you look for M4N98TD Evo reviews I'm sure some will have overclocking results you can compare ...

On good AMD chipset boards the X6's will usually OC to 4.0 GHz and maybe more depending on how good the cooling is. X4's will clock easily to 3.8 GHz and often to 4.0 GHz with better cooling. If you look for M4N98TD Evo reviews I'm sure some will have overclocking results you can compare ...

I'm still trying to find a mid priced Asus board that is a proven overclocker (stable 4GHz with an X6). I don't really care if it's an AMD or nVidia chipset. I was looking at the Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 with the 890GX chipset.

I apologize for hijacking the thread.

Back