• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing cooler for M4A89GTD Pro/PII X2 555

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caviman2201

I'm trying to choose a new cooler for my new M4A89GTD Pro/PII X2 555 BE combo. I've successfully unlocked all 4 cores on the processor and it seems to be a decent overclocker, but I need better cooling than my current Arctic Cooling Freezer 64. At less than 1.4v, the processor is peaking at 57C and I know how PII's hate heat. I am looking at a Xigmatek S1283, but i'm concerned about clearance.

Those of you with this board or one like it, what coolers are you running?

Thanks in advance

I'm trying to choose a new cooler for my new M4A89GTD Pro/PII X2 555 BE combo. I've successfully unlocked all 4 cores on the processor and it seems to be a decent overclocker, but I need better cooling than my current Arctic Cooling Freezer 64. At less than 1.4v, the processor is peaking at 57C and I know how PII's hate heat. I am looking at a Xigmatek S1283, but i'm concerned about clearance.

Thanks in advance

I have used the True Rev C and currently running a Coolit Vantage. The True is BIG but very effective. My only issue was it covered the first two ram slots. Not a big deal for me at this point, but I will be adding 4 mor gigs at some point so soemthin ghad to give. Enter the Coolit. Love this thing. Great performance and no issue with the ram slots. And it adds a little 'Bling" factor as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on this board, wouldn't covering the "first two" - aka the closest two slots to the CPU socket - be bad thing because of the alternating channels? That would cover a slot from one channel and a slot from the other meaning you'd have to use the two slots farthest from the CPU socket and therefore each stick would be running single channel.

1h43tl.jpg

Maybe someone will chime in here with that board but there are a couple of options that would probably fit because they both have front-back mounting instead of up/down. The TRUE Rev C (the Rev C is important) has it's own mounting system but is flexable so you can mount it up/down or front/back. The Sunbeam CCT 120mm mounts to the existing AMD stock tabs and is also front/back. Either way the heatsink itself doesn't overhang the socket a lot. You still have to fit the fan in there but both heatsinks allow a fan to be mounted on either side (and on some TRUE's you can mount a fan on each side) and most likely the fan would fit above the MOSFET heatsink or there would be a way to slightly move the fan to fit above standard-height RAM sticks.

No guarantee in either case since I don't have that board to test them on but that's my best guess. ;)

Edit
Sunbeam: 125(L) × 104(W) × 155(H)
1-3/4" from center to non-fan side; 1-3/8" from center to fan side (not counting 1" for the fan); bottom of fan is a little over 1" from the board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207006

TRUE Rev.C: L63.44 x W132 x H160.5 mm
just over 1-1/4" either side of the center plus 1" for the fan, whichever side you put it on; bottom of fan is 1-1/2" from the board
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thulbledrec.html

From that information you should be able to do a little measuring to figure out if they'll fit ... :)

Last edited:
I was putting together the m4a87td evo today with the artic cooler also and the fins are rubbing my g.skill ripjaw memory (right at the top/side of card). So I had to move the memory cards to the black slots.. I'm not sure if letting the fins of the heatsink touch the card barely would cause any damage but I moved them back just to play it safe until I can find more information.

I turned off my rigs and made some measurements for you - then edited the above post to show dimensions from the center of the processor to left and right plus a distance from the bottom of the fan to the motherboard. If the 1" clearance of the Sunbeam fan isn't enough for your RAM or your heatsink I'm sure the 1.5" for the TRUE is - if you need to worry about those at all ...

Thanks so much, Quiet... I wonder how much of a difference there is between the 92MM Sunbeam and the 120MM...

Thanks in advance

I have the same board and the same cpu unlocked (sometimes) to B55 as well. Altho i just have a mild oc on 555 mostly, i have opened it up to B55 on occasion and have temporarily(skeered :eek:)pumped it up to 3.99ghz b4 stopping(that boards power phase helps). Here's the cooler i use and it does a great job with clearance for all sticks and air flow all aroud. Hope it helps.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=1623&product_id=2984

If your considering it, i can post a pic. My ram is about the same profile as yours i believe http://oc.adata.com.tw/1_product_detail.asp?pid=AD31600GU2K , the sink does not extent over the nearest slot. and there's about 1/2 inch between the top of the stick and a clip tab that holds the sink fan on which is very easily removed.

Last edited:
How good are these boards at overclocking? I'm planning on buying the M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 and hoping to get a 1055T to 4GHz.

Before water I used a Scythe Ninja Copper on it and it fit fine. It covered the two and probably the third ram slot as well if I recall right but it has a good height clearance so my G-Skill fit under it fine.

I am assuming the layout is the same as the FX which it looks like.

Back