• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crosshair iv formula O/C questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

=XAF=AfterShock

just got this installed and trying to learn about these extra settings since my other board only had the very basics. Do I have to tinker with voltages like CPU VDDA, NB, SB and there was one more called NB 1.8v. I will edit this and include a bios shot of what I'm using for a stable 3.9ghz o/c. thats about as far as I will prob get with a 47c cpu temp and 56c max core temp. Def need to find a better cooler that will fit in an antec 900 case, I already had to pull my side panel fan because of clearance issues.

If anyone has suggestions on what could be changed as far as voltages go I'm all ears I just gave everything a slight bump over stock just for good measure.

img44

Last edited:
Sometimes it helps to increase the VDDA to 2.6v. I've read that some people have luck increasing the NB or SB voltage but, honestly, I'm not sure how that could help unless the cpuNB is way up there. I've never seen anyone change the NB 1.8v value ...

I put the nb and sb back to the lowest settings and just manually set the nb 1.8 to 1.8v. I'll try the 2.6 vdda and see if the voltages do antyhing do anything different compared to 2.5, so far the vcore sits at 1.425v at idle or low loads and only goes to 1.43v in prime so thats a nice change over my old board.

the cpu/nb voltage seems sorta weird now that I can actually see what voltages are using probe and everest. It sorta has a mind of its own, I have it set to 1.20v and it runs at 1.22 - 1.26v unless I set it to 1.25v then it just hangs around 1.26 - 1.27 so I'm not sure if thats normal or not but I have both LLC options enabled like suggested at every site I've been to.

yeah lol I wasn't worried as its been much higher like if left on auto or I use the TurboV program now I just need to ask around about replacing my cooler with something that will fit in my case without looking like a smoke stack.

Smoke stack! That's great - LOL!

If you mean the 120mm tower coolers those should fit your case and won't cost a fortune but if you want something that doesn't look like that the only other good solution is an H50/H70 or something else along those lines ...

I have about 175mm maybe a tad more for clearance if I don't use a sidepanel fan, I wouldn't mine something like the Hyper 212 style but not the triple fan double wide trailers lol my remaining budget is about $125 <saved some to keep the h70 an option if its worth it> The only hard part is guessing on what to expect for my chip when all the reviews are done on i7s which still show temps that would kill a phenom ii.

The TRUE is still one of the best air coolers out there (and is the best with some fan combinations), though it is a little more expensive than the Hyper 212+, and the TRUE isn't really a monster at all - in fact it's not much bigger (if any) than the Hyper 212+. I like the TRUE Black Rev.C because it's got clips for two fans if you end up needing the second fan or want to run a pair of quiet ones. The TRUE Rev.C is a little cheaper with only one fan clip ...

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thulbledrec.html
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thulexrevc.html

I like the black rev.c and i would def run it in a push/pull config. Is that price just for the heatsink not including fans and if so does anyone make good fans with the 4 pin power plugs.

Just for you own information, I can fit a NH-D14 in my Antec 900 case but I had to remove my side fan. The side panel closes with about 5 mm clearance between the top of my cooler. I just ended up removing the mesh all together for better air flow.

I was really shocked on the size of this cooler when I got it, I meant it is truely bigger than you expect. However, it is easy to install (maybe 20-30 mins) and does a good job.

how much clearance is there between the heatsink and your mem? I'm pretty sure that would fit on my crosshair since you have ripjaw sticks which are probably a tad higher than my mb heatsinks and how the heck do you get imageshack pics to resize on here, everytime I upload pics or link to imageshack they always show up at full res?

how much clearance is there between the heatsink and your mem? I'm pretty sure that would fit on my crosshair since you have ripjaw sticks which are probably a tad higher than my mb heatsinks and how the heck do you get imageshack pics to resize on here, everytime I upload pics or link to imageshack they always show up at full res?

I uploaded some new pics, resized. I can not tell you for sure, but there is enough room for me to remove my ram, though I have to tilt them a bit. The fan itself is actually a bit bigger, that is the reason I have shift it up a tad. I would have to say off the top of my memory a good 5 mm space.

I uploaded some new pics, resized. I can not tell you for sure, but there is enough room for me to remove my ram, though I have to tilt them a bit. The fan itself is actually a bit bigger, that is the reason I have shift it up a tad. I would have to say off the top of my memory a good 5 mm space.
Do you think that heatsink would block any of the pci-e slots on the corsshair, with my cooler I have about 2 inches of clearance between the heatsink and my vid card in the 1st slot.

Yah! I'll take that 2°C drop (at best!) and stick with my TRUE Black ... :)
what fans are you using with your true? are the fans shown on that site you linked me any good?

Back