• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP Pavillion Max memory question. Am I really limited to 1GB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The mobo may be limited to 1gb, 2x 512; then again it may not. Only real ways to find out are to google around for peoples specific results trying to add more memory to that specific box, or to just try to put more ram in and see how it goes.

It's very unlikely that it's actually limited to 1GB... the chipset certainly supports more than that.

I expect it's probably a simple case that 512MB was the largest capacity module available when the specs were written, and that it will take 1GB sticks without a problem.

Thanks for the reply. I tried the google method but seems not to many people bought this piece of junk, except me. :bang head I am just going to buy some 1 gb sticks as they are cheap and try it.

Unless it uses a prepriotary memory stick I would suspect that you would be fine with anything. I believe it is the cpu which controls how much addressable memory the computer has, which in the case of a 32-bit system is about 3-gigs.

I would agree that 512s were probably the biggest stick available at the time.

I've tried to put 4gb into Toshiba before, they wont even post at any thing over 3.. its complete BS. Don't know if the same applys to hp.

I've tried to put 4gb into Toshiba before, they wont even post at any thing over 3.. its complete BS.

Were you using a 32 bit OS? That only registers 3.4 but sometimes it rounds itself down to 3.

As for the ram, the chipset on the mobo says that it can handle up to 2 but there could be other limitations due to the mobo. Just take the side case off and read the mobo model number. Report it back here and I'll have a lookski around for you.

Were you using a 32 bit OS? That only registers 3.4 but sometimes it rounds itself down to 3.
What does a x86 OS have to do with the PC not POSTing w/ >3GB of RAM installed?

As for the ram, the chipset on the mobo says that it can handle up to 2 but there could be other limitations due to the mobo. Just take the side case off and read the mobo model number. Report it back here and I'll have a lookski around for you.
The 752n uses an ASUS P4G-LA MB (845GL chipset), which can only utilize up to 1GB of RAM, and supports up to PC-2100.

You may get lucky. It all depends on the chipset/mobo, not the CPU. Dell C640/840's have the "1GB max" spec but they can actually take 2GB. I would recommend either Kingston or Crucial RAM if your going to give it a shot as they seem to be compatible with a wide range of laptops.

The 752n uses an ASUS P4G-LA MB (845GL chipset), which can only utilize up to 1GB of RAM, and supports up to PC-2100.

But once again, the published specs don't necessarily mean that's the max it'll take.

FWIW, I looked up that model number, and ran across a mention of somebody running 1.2GB of RAM in one, using a 1GB stick and a 256MB stick.

What does a x86 OS have to do with the PC not POSTing w/ >3GB of RAM installed?

Basically an x86 OS only registers 3.4gigs of ram. It's the only real advantage of 64x OS's is the access to near limitless amounts of RAM (I think it's way over 128GB of RAM =P)

FWIW, I looked up that model number

It's not a model of a motherboard I'm afraid. I'm not sure what it is =P Take a picky of the motherboard after removing the GPU and other cards like wireless card and sound card. I can probably find what I'm looking for from there. If you can't be bothered to take it all out just write down everything that's on a motherboard. Every motherboard I've ever seen or had has always had the model number on it so yours should be the same. It'll be something like Gigabyte GA-EP41-UD3L or something.
It could be very short (mine is XFX 780i SLI so pretty short) or could be longer. But it probably won't say Gigabyte beforehand.

Hope you can find it. After you found that out as long as it's not some obscure motherboard no-one knows about then I can find out the max ram capacity.

He was trying to tell you post happens before the OS it has exactly nothing to do with x86 or x64 so your question is irrelevant.

Basically an x86 OS only registers 3.4gigs of ram.

But that has nothing to do with the POST process. Whether the OS recognizes a certain amount of RAM and whether the motherboard itself recognizes it, are completely separate things.

It's not a model of a motherboard I'm afraid. I'm not sure what it is =P

What on earth are you talking about? The model number of the motherboard is P4G-LA.

What on earth are you talking about? The model number of the motherboard is P4G-LA.

How did you find that out?

Anyway if the P4G-LA is the mobo that you're using then apparently 1gb is the max you can use. Looks like you're limited to the one.

i have a similar box 865glc it has 2 gig ram in it ....
most of theese boards have limitations as to the size of the chips on the mem modules and also single sided or double sided....

How did you find that out?

Anyway if the P4G-LA is the mobo that you're using then apparently 1gb is the max you can use. Looks like you're limited to the one.

Seriously? Did you not read any of the other posts this thread? Redduc900 found the model number of the board (which is easily confirmed by Googling "Pavilion 752n motherboard"). And when I looked up the model number of the board, I found mention of somebody running more than 1GB in one.

While one guy's report of having 1.25GB doesn't guarantee that it will accept 2GB, that at least shows that there isn't actually a 1GB limit, so 2GB should work.

Isn't it just a different color lipstick on the same pig?

Perhaps, but it's a much prettier color. :D

Seriously? Did you not read any of the other posts this thread? Redduc900 found the model number of the board (which is easily confirmed by Googling "Pavilion 752n motherboard"). And when I looked up the model number of the board, I found mention of somebody running more than 1GB in one.

While one guy's report of having 1.25GB doesn't guarantee that it will accept 2GB, that at least shows that there isn't actually a 1GB limit, so 2GB should work.

After that we found out the exact motherboard model number and as far as I could tell there wasn't anyone who had gone over 1gb.

If he can find the RAM cheap enough then he should go for it but older RAM seems to cost more than DDR3 =(

Back