• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z97 with i7-4790k Build question(s)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MPSAN

Registered
Hello all:
I have built systems for use at home and, although we do NOT game, I build the best I can, and OverClock them. This is why they last us a long time.

Anyway, I am now considering an ASUS Z97 Pro WiFi AC with an i7-4790K and an SSD and Win 8.1 Pro. However, some have said that very little can be gained trying to OC this CPU. If so I wonder about the following..

1. I want 16GB of RAM (2X8). Does it make sense to get anything faster than 1600 with a low CAS? Is 1866 better? And, why do some people use 4x4 for 16GB?

2. IF it is true that this CPU does not OC very much is it OK to use the stock fan and not buy thermal paste? I suppose it is BEST to get a cooler and thermal paste from the start and to not have to play later with removing the stock fan. Also, would it be worth it to consider a 4770k?

3. Although we do not play games, web graphics, etc can use resources. Is it that bad if I try to get away using the Graphics of the CPU and NOT get a Video Card? I suppose I can try this and add a GPU later if needed.

I know this is a lot to ask, but some of the choices do not add much to the final build price, but I do not want to throw $$$ away if there will be no benefit.

Last edited:
What do you intend to use the PC for? And what's your budget?

Budget not too much of an issue...below $2,000 or so. Also, although we do not game Spreadsheets and web browsing can take a toll on the system, along with Quicken. I know I can get away with a far less expensive system, but soon memory is taxed as bigger software packages take over. My P4 2.4GHZ system OC'ed to 3.3GHZ and 1 GB memory is now almost unusable as Flash and Shockwave, not to mention Norton make it VERY slow!

List your system specs; that would be helpful. Although it's fun to build a new system yours may be fine, just need a bit more RAM to make it Snap!

get a 4690k instead of the 4790k, it'll be more than you will ever need.
leave the 4790k cpu's for those of us that really need them or just enjoy waisting great gobs of money.

List your system specs; that would be helpful. Although it's fun to build a new system yours may be fine, just need a bit more RAM to make it Snap!

Well, I looked into that and just do not want to add >$100 into this old system. I could keep it as is and use it for Ham Radio stuff.

get a 4690k instead of the 4790k, it'll be more than you will ever need.
leave the 4790k cpu's for those of us that really need them or just enjoy waisting great gobs of money.

I hear you but both the 4790k and 4770k are at about $329. The i5-4690k is $234, so for $95 I can go up to the top.

I'd stick with your guns and the 4790k. You won't be overclocking it a ton. It's essentially the same chip as the 4770k with a "factory overclock" up to 4Ghz (4.4 w boost).

If you did OC, it would likely land in the 4.6-4.7 ballpark, pretty close to the 4.4-4.5 4770k typical max.

Since you won't be needing to OC from the get-go, may as well start with the intel cooler and see if it's too loud for your tastes. If so, grab a better cooler (true spirit 140 is reviewing great and is quite reasonably priced).

Do you need the builtin AC wireless capability of that mobo? If not, I'd grab a z97 extreme 6 and save $50. It will probably be a better board in the end as well. And you can always add a PCI or USB AC adapter.

You probably won't notice an increase in ram speed over 1866, but ram is so overpriced right now that you might as well go for 2133 or 2400mhz. You probably don't need 16gb, but you also may as well get 2x8 now instead of 2x4 now and another 2x4 later. Using two modules instead of four will put less stress on your IMC and let you OC more if/when you do.

Just use the onboard graphics of the 4790k until you decide you need something better. They should be more than enough for your needs.

Do you have any issues with going small form factor on this?

You could easily go mITX with this to save some serious space unless you need a ton of HDDs or add-on cards.

Check out this build, it's all in a 12"x12"x6" case.
You can remove the GPU if you feel you'll be fine on the iGPU.

Thank you all. Great suggestions. Case looks nice but is 500watt PS really enough any more? I may add the CPU cooler so I do not need to remove the stock cooler at a later time. Also, NO, I do not NEED the WiFi and Bluetooth of the ASUS Z97 Pro WiFi, but it costs very little more, and can not be added later as they do not sell it! Also, I have used ASUS for several builds and like the BIOS, so may just get it with the i7-4790k.

I may just get 16GB of 1866 RAM but with a low CAS. Still not sure any higher would do me any good. AND as stated, I can just go with the onboard Graphics and add a GPU later if needed.

Thank you all. Great suggestions. Case looks nice but is 500watt PS really enough any more? I may add the CPU cooler so I do not need to remove the stock cooler at a later time. Also, NO, I do not NEED the WiFi and Bluetooth of the ASUS Z97 Pro WiFi, but it costs very little more, and can not be added later as they do not sell it! Also, I have used ASUS for several builds and like the BIOS, so may just get it with the i7-4790k.

I may just get 16GB of 1866 RAM but with a low CAS. Still not sure any higher would do me any good. AND as stated, I can just go with the onboard Graphics and add a GPU later if needed.

500W is plenty for any single GPU system, especially in an ITX form factor.
Take an i7 and 780Ti, overclock them to the moon, and you're still short of 500W. By a lot.

I do believe that I will stay with the ATX MoBo and case.

1866 Cas9 will be perfect.

Since you have the budget, I'd bump to a 500GB SSD. I'd also go up to a 2TB WD Black for storage but if you don't do a lot of big downloads, movies, music, etc 1TB blue will fine if you even need that, if 500GB is enough don't bother.

I'd just get a 212 Hyper Evo now. There cheap, good coolers, and the stock intel is really a pos. It will come with some paste, not the greatest but good enough.

PSU, 500w modular gold range. This one looks well priced for this setup.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

Since your staying ATX, as for case I'd stick to Corsair and NZXT as most of their models are very well made and have the nifty features.

Great guys. This is shaping up. I do see that a 750 watt EVGA is $94 and Corsair is $89. I see what you mean about a 500GB SSD at this point. Looking at EVO. Should I still plan on trying the Intel builtin graphics?

Last edited:
The onboard is not bad for usual windows use. As said before a video card is easy to add later.

The onboard is not bad for usual windows use. As said before a video card is easy to add later.

Great, but IF I decided to go with a card, what one would be good for this build (ASUS Z97 Pro WiFi and i7-4790k) that would give me a GPU with good performance but would be a good price point?

Great, but IF I decided to go with a card, what one would be good for this build (ASUS Z97 Pro WiFi and i7-4790k) that would give me a GPU with good performance but would be a good price point?

750Ti is ~$150 and will handle 3 monitors.
1080p gaming at moderate settings is easily doable with that GPU also.

Back