• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Made one of those room a/c's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bioevolve

I got borded and my computer room was getting hot, so I made one of those copper coil/fan a/c's.:D
POORMAN'S A/C!!!
There is a refridgerator (not the main fridge) in the computer room, so I thought I'd use that instead of a cooler for ice water. :thup:
No temp checks yet, waiting for the water to get cold. :shrug:

poormanfridgeac (1).jpg

poormanfridgeac (2).jpg

poormanfridgeac (3).jpg

poormanfridgeac (4).jpg

poormanfridgeac (5).jpg

poormanfridgeac (6).jpg

poormanfridgeac (7).jpg

poormanfridgeac (8).jpg

poormanfridgeac (9).jpg

poormanfridgeac (10).jpg

poormanfridgeac (11).jpg

poormanfridgeac (12).jpg

I don't see how that is going to cool the room since the fridge is just dumping heat into the same room you are attempting to cool. I only see this increasing the total heat in the room. :confused:

Neat concept - but Thiddy is right. Plus, the convection into a small > 1Gallon Bucket in a ~34*F fridge isn't likely to offer much cooling effectiveness IMO. Just think how long it takes for 1Gallon of ambient 70*F water to reach ~40*F in a fridge (hours) - then think how quick that water would heat right back up once you start the loop.

Using the Freezer would help increase the delta - but you need to be careful about freezing if the loop is stopped. And as Thiddy pointed out - the Fridge is spitting all of the heat it "removes" from the loop back into the same room you are trying to cool (plus the additional power the fridge is pulling and also turning into heat). Kind of like running an A/C w/o any external exhaust.

Good luck! :cool:

I don't see how that is going to cool the room since the fridge is just dumping heat into the same room you are attempting to cool. I only see this increasing the total heat in the room. :confused:
I just does.

More importantly why do you have so much milk
I have 3 kids and they like cereal lol.

Neat concept - but Thiddy is right. Plus, the convection into a small > 1Gallon Bucket in a ~34*F fridge isn't likely to offer much cooling effectiveness IMO. Just think how long it takes for 1Gallon of ambient 70*F water to reach ~40*F in a fridge (hours) - then think how quick that water would heat right back up once you start the loop.

Using the Freezer would help increase the delta - but you need to be careful about freezing if the loop is stopped. And as Thiddy pointed out - the Fridge is spitting all of the heat it "removes" from the loop back into the same room you are trying to cool (plus the additional power the fridge is pulling and also turning into heat). Kind of like running an A/C w/o any external exhaust.

Good luck! :cool:
I understand that , but I'm not sweating in my sauna anymore.
It has dropped the room temp 10f, from 89f. The door is always open to that room to help vent some air out.
I already have a ceiling fan, desk fan and a floor fan circulating the room with the central A/C set at 70F daily. I would sweat daily just browsing for 5 minutes on the computer in there, now it's cooler in the room.
I've even added 2 servers, 26" LED Monitor and another computer on top of the other 2 computers, 1 server, 2 monitors, 2 laser printers, inkjet printer, 5 light bulbs burning on the ceiling fan and the fridge lol.
We'll see how it holds out this week. :popcorn:

How is this any different from just leaving the Fridge door open (aside from not cooling the food at that point)? ;)

It does not raise the "temperature of the room". It adds heat to the room. Basically the electricity the fridge uses to run the compressor. The fridge dumps the heat behind itself. The setup is throwing the cool air in another part of the room. If you take a fan and blow the heat from behind the fridge the temperature of the room would rise. That is, the temperature in the middle of the room.

It is a physical law of nature. Heat can neither be created nor destroyed, only moved. You are moving the heat from the main part of the room to behind the fridge. Google the laws of thermodynamics.

Another useful one when creating/designing a HVAC system is that the rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the difference in temperature between two systems. In other words, given two pieces of metal in contact with different temperatures, if they are 100 degrees and 50 degrees, they transfer heat (at the instant of contact) twice as fast as two pieces of metal that are 100 and 75 degrees.

This is why fans are great for cooling. Heat transfers into the air, then the fan blows the newly hot air away. This keeps cool air surrounding the heat source and thus increasing the RATE of heat transfer.

Regards,

DB

How is this any different from just leaving the Fridge door open (aside from not cooling the food at that point)? ;)
Hahahaha true.

It does not raise the "temperature of the room". It adds heat to the room. Basically the electricity the fridge uses to run the compressor. The fridge dumps the heat behind itself. The setup is throwing the cool air in another part of the room. If you take a fan and blow the heat from behind the fridge the temperature of the room would rise. That is, the temperature in the middle of the room.

It is a physical law of nature. Heat can neither be created nor destroyed, only moved. You are moving the heat from the main part of the room to behind the fridge. Google the laws of thermodynamics.

Another useful one when creating/designing a HVAC system is that the rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the difference in temperature between two systems. In other words, given two pieces of metal in contact with different temperatures, if they are 100 degrees and 50 degrees, they transfer heat (at the instant of contact) twice as fast as two pieces of metal that are 100 and 75 degrees.

This is why fans are great for cooling. Heat transfers into the air, then the fan blows the newly hot air away. This keeps cool air surrounding the heat source and thus increasing the RATE of heat transfer.

Regards,

DB
Basically by adding a forth fan I have created enough positive pressure in that room to move more heat out of the room thru the door. :D

Back