• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPUTIN and Core Temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ishadowcore

I have an AMD Kuma 7750+ BE right now OCed to 3GHz at 1.4V on Asrock 960GC-GS FX, running AMD heatsink, the one from 6000+ (with the copper heatpipes). HWMonitor reports CPUTIN temp idle at 45C, 58 full load, while core idles at 30 and goes up to 46 full load. Why are these so different and which one should i pay attention to? I want to go a bit higher on the CPU speed but the temps confused me. Speedfan showed pretty much the same thing.

CPUTIN is the temperature socket on the motherboard. Keep that under ~70°C and you're good to go :thup:

The core is the actual CPU temperature. Keep that one under ~60°C.

I have an AMD Kuma 7750+ BE right now OCed to 3GHz at 1.4V on Asrock 960GC-GS FX, running AMD heatsink, the one from 6000+ (with the copper heatpipes). HWMonitor reports CPUTIN temp idle at 45C, 58 full load, while core idles at 30 and goes up to 46 full load. Why are these so different and which one should i pay attention to? I want to go a bit higher on the CPU speed but the temps confused me. Speedfan showed pretty much the same thing.
Hi, welcome to OCF. What is your ambient temp. of the room? What kind of case do you have & no. of fans in the case? Most of the time when the socket temps are high it is do to bad air flow in the case.

If you could download HWMonitor & post a screen shot off it so everyone can see what's going on will help.

Last edited:
7e4fa7b1bc15f1eb.jpg
Ambient temp is around 27C now in the summer. I have a really old fujitsu siemens scaleo p case, 1 exhaust fan in the back.

Your better to have the cpu under heavy load, and then look at your temperatures. Idle temps only tell part of the story.

The maximum operating temperature for your cpu is 70c. Likely it'll loose stability at 65c while overclocking.

Most likely your temps are caused by lack of air flow in the case. Try removing the side panel & if you have a portable fan in the house try blowing that into the side of the case. Let's see how much if any that will improve the temps.

Your temps are O.K. under load but let's see if they will improve.

It was common with AMD CPUs in that era to report higher socket temps than core temps, especially when good aftermarket coolers were employed. All my AMD systems from that era with good aftermarket cooling showed that pattern. A good cooler moves heat away from the processor pretty efficiently but heat transfer in the socket get's impeded by the seam between the processor and the socket. The socket is also picking up heat from the VRM components adjacent to it.

Back