• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I've found the 5th Dentist. Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notarat

I lost the AIO on my 4770k system last week due to a seized bearing. Pump locked solid and temps got too high so Corsair Link powered off my computer and saved my mobo/CPU. (Tested both and both are working fine)

I decided to build a new Ryzen 2 based system using the following parts instead of just replacing the AIO on the 4770K:

Asus Crosshair VII Hero (the one with WiFi) X470-based mobo
Ryzen2 2700X
H150i AIO
16GB Vengeance LPX 3600
Samsung EVO 970 Pro
Re-used my 8TB Data Drives, and Titan X

Got the system together (a separate horror story) and loaded up the testing/benching/monitoring software, and found a major discrepancy.

I've used each of the following monitoring applications at some point since Saturday evening to ascertain the operating temps of the board/drives/CPU

RyzenMaster
HWInfo
BIOS
CPUTemp
Corsair Link

Every system monitoring application above says my CPU temps are ~36°C idle and ~68°C under load...Every application that is, EXCEPT Corsair's Link software.

The LINK software shows the idle temps as ~88°C and well over 100°C under any load whatsoever.

I know the standard response about Link is, "disregard/don't use Link. It's 'Glitchy' at best", but that's an alternative, not an answer. Link allows me to set triggers to safely power off
if the AIO dies (which is why my Intel system didn't fry, btw) and I want that safety feature.

Is there another monitoring software app which allows me to set a trigger to power off in case the temps get too high?

That safety feature is also built into the BIOS......... at least on Intel machines.

Is your link software updated? BIOS on the board? What does Corsair have to say about the descrepancy?

That safety feature is also built into the BIOS......... at least on Intel machines(*3).

Is your link software updated? (*1) BIOS on the board?(*2) What does Corsair have to say about the descrepancy?(*4)

Since you asked multiple questions I numbered them and answered them
1 - Link is up-to-date.
2 - BIOS is current as of Friday.
3 - I've not seen anything in the BIOS of the last couple of generations of AMD boards that triggers a safe shutdown based on temps, but I have only used X370 and X470 lately. (Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI and VII)
4 - The Link software turns out to be the culprit. There's a bug in the software. I'm currently using the BIOS to up fan speeds based on temps. I found a post from 4/19/18 on their forum specific to the 2700X and the thread seems to be a couple pages of "#metoo" and vague responses from Corsair. Par for the course...

One good thing about this upgrade is that I have finally decided to destroy the TT Core case. Having to remove the AMD 1600x system on the right side just to run a pair of 8-pin power cables for the 2700x system was the straw that broke the camel's back. Am looking for decent cases which can hold a 360mm AIO so if you have suggestions on cases please share.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I was at Amazon just after making that reply and came across 2 of the 3 you linked above and added them to my wish list. The NZXT H440 seems like a steal for what it offers at that price point($109.99 at amazon). I also came across the 570X. I also like the Phanteks PH-ES614LTG_AG for $149.99.

I'm going to get the H440 definitely and either the Corsair Crystal 570X or the Phanteks PH-ES614LTG_AG ($149.99 on Amazon)

Am looking for decent cases which can hold a 360mm AIO so if you have suggestions on cases please share.

Love my Luxe, and if it weren't for the unattractive tubing in it you wouldn't know it has a 360 AIO in it. There's enough room in the top chamber to mount the fans and rad if I want to.

Last edited:
It's surely the link software but make sure you've upgraded to their new iCue software which will run everything and not Corsair Link. It's basically a combination of two software into one (Cue and Corsair Link) with a bit more stability than before. (Lord only knows what I went through.)

I know they lag when it comes to updating their software for other hardware. Sometimes it could take weeks to months and only ends up breaking a few things while fixing some.

I have a tab open on corsair forums daily and keeping a close eye. Just upgraded to their new version a day or two ago. I usually read what people have to say before I pull the trigger. If it's too negative for me, I'm willing to wait till I see happy faces.

As for cases, what's your case size and budget? I'm a fan of Corsair's cases and somewhat TT's atm even though I feel they copy. lol

Edit: Found a post related to this issue.

Last edited:
1 - I was stupid for thinking the Core P200 would be easy to work with when it came time to do an upgrade
2 - I was stupid to use any fans other than Noctua.
3 - It cost me $725 to replace a $725 case/fans thanks to 1&2
4 - Shoot me.

1 - I was stupid for thinking the Core P200 would be easy to work with when it came time to do an upgrade
2 - I was stupid to use any fans other than Noctua.
3 - It cost me $725 to replace a $725 case/fans thanks to 1&2
4 - Shoot me.

But just imagine how much smarter you are now. Some days the little victories are all you get.

One down. One to go.

Got the parts in at ~noon today but was still recovering 6TB of data so I wasn't able to get started on my build until ~5pmCDT. That was one of the things I hated about the Core...modding one side meant powering of both unless you wanted to flirt with FIRE/ELECTROCUTION, either of which would hurt you the whole time you're dying!

Not going to do a review of the build because I'm tired and hungry.

Things I like:
A metric buttload of cable management connectors (where you would zip tie a wire/cable)
As near to dead silent as I've experienced in over a decade.
Color option is nice (I got the Black/Red one)
Rear panel LED (switchable on/off) so if you find yourself behind the thing sorting out cables it is lit up so you don't need a flashlight

Things I didn't like about the build:
It can hold a Strix 1080Ti OC but you give up a HDD slot to get it. This presents additional issues (see below)
It can hold a 280mm AIO in the top of the case. (Just frikkin BARELY!!!!!) You lose another HDD bay because the lines to/from the Radiator intrude into the top 2 drive bays (no 90° connector made me sad)
Because of the odd spacing of the 3 HDDs I installed, I had to use 2 separate SATA Power cables from the PSU, causing un-necessary wiring (my pet peeve)
In order to connect the two CPU Connectors on the top of the motherboard by the I/O plate, you have to peel(separate) the wires from the others so they are easier to twist/manupulate. You have to then feed each connector through by itself and connect it, then hold the wires out of the way to feet the next one, repeat, repeat.
They calll it a "tool-less" case. Lemme tell you something right now, folks...Their idea of "thumbscrews" are screws which strip the flesh off your thumbs. I had to break out my damn 18v DeWalt to get some of these screws out/in and there isn't a single cross-threaded screw in the case...they were just that difficult to work with..

Overall I'm still very happy with the results...I just don't wanna have to build another system in this case.

Edited to add: Did I mention it's damn near silent?! I should have...because it's damn near silent! SRSLY. If it's not dead silent, it's very quietly humping silent's leg.

It can hold a Strix 1080Ti OC but you give up a HDD slot to get it. This presents additional issues (see below)
It can hold a 280mm AIO in the top of the case. (Just frikkin BARELY!!!!!) You lose another HDD bay because the lines to/from the Radiator intrude into the top 2 drive bays (no 90° connector made me sad)

The NZXT H440? I remember checking NZXT's site for water friendly cases, and they really don't do much for the wet crowd. If I ever decide to pretty up my rig with a custom loop I can fit a 420 rad in it, and add a 240 if needed.

The NZXT H440? I remember checking NZXT's site for water friendly cases, and they really don't do much for the wet crowd. If I ever decide to pretty up my rig with a custom loop I can fit a 420 rad in it, and add a 240 if needed.

Well you're definitely right about NZXT not really doing much for the water crowd. I'm happy with the build, but damn that was a tough one. I don't feel like I built it as much as persevered against it.

The Phanteks though...COMPLETE opposite experience.

I woke up at 10:45 CDT this morning and I'm replying from that build while eating lunch. Everything that went wrong or was difficult on the NZXT build went totally right and easy with this one. I'm pretty OCD about how I do my build so it takes me a long time to actually complete one. (build area must be this way...tools must be laid out that way...stuff like that...It really adds to the amount of time I need to do a build.)

This build was actually "done" before I realized it...Once I realized it I had to go back check everything 4-5 more times because I kept thinking, "Nah...this was too easy. I must've forgotten something!" Turns out, I didn't. I finished at least an hour and a half faster than I estimated.

Everything just "fit". I didn't have to use a damn 18v Dewalt Drill to remove/fasten screws. Installing and cabling the HDDs in the HDD trays was easy (though I do wish Phanteks would use mounts which are a little more secure) I didn't have to relocate anything because of the Radiator or Video card...There was plenty of room to work on every little area of this case...and it's only about 1" taller than the NZXT...No cabling nightmares like with the 8+6 CPU cables. Cable retention velcro loops were positioned spot-on and the cable management holes in the mobo tray were equally well positioned.

It was a fun build.

That mirrors my experience building in the Luxe. The only thing I ding it a point for is the front filter access. I live in the town that has the factory that makes the dust for North America, and have to clean out my case every couple months, and the front filter could be easier. Considering how many things I could nitpick about other cases, that's pretty minor.

Back