• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making money out of programming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

hi, i know Qt java C++ avr python ect but i just want to know how and where to start and how to get ready for getting a job and making money out of it ! a little thing : i don't know any database managements like SQlite or... , it's like, lets i have lets say 9-10 months of programming or 8 Months of programming for 8-10hours a day ,

sorry if its a stupid question ! i have no ideas how jobs are! or what else to learn !

Start making a portfolio of applications. Try to get an internship somewhere.

Start making a portfolio of applications. Try to get an internship somewhere.

I got like 1000 of them :D deleted 90% of them, But anyway i also made few Qt widgets and libraries , like i made a pie chart Qt widget :D only requires PieChart.addPie(percent,Color); :)

But the prpblem is my apps are so simple to get a job, i think i need to learn more, i completed many short and long tutorials like cplusplus.com tutorialspoint.com ect but still i feel like my knowage it small for a job,i mostly like practicing and reading tutorials but i see if i can get a internship, its 2am i tell you tomarrow :D (99% i cant)

Last edited:
If you know Java, start making Android apps. aybe you can be the new Flappy Bird Guy.

GOTE=Bobnova;7702305]If you know Java, start making Android apps. aybe you can be the new Flappy Bird Guy.[/QUOTE]

:D belive it or not i had EXACT same idea of minecraft when i was 10, i thought a good game doesn't only needs graphics,! The only difference i had with current minecraft is the name and that i didn't thought of any zombies are dungeons !!!
( im 15 so when i was 10 or 12 it wasnt long ago ;D ) i can make flappy bird (i guess! But i know what it wants,) i don't know anything about 3d graphics but I'm planning to learn openGL!!! Sorry i typed on phone :S im now just making apps and middle of making apps i face many challenges and i Google my problems and learn more, but a little q, what exactly ppl do on a programming job that they make money out of?! :D im learning android but the problem is dev.google is forbidden here :( i made a game which theres a ball that randomly mkves around ghe more you keep your finger on it you get more score and u have 10sec :D its simple but fun(i guess only because i made it, it seems fun to me)

Whatever the company they work for wants to do.. programmers make it happen.

:eek: cool. I thought it's a little different, i can think of it now, like my fathers company tells me we want a app to manage our sells ect then i guess only thing i can do to get better for now is to make apps for myself, anyway i see if i can get a project, ask my cousin for help :)

To be brutally blunt, you're probably not going to get a job at a firm without a piece of paper saying you went to school for it.

Your best bet to "make money" is to make a mod on an existing title, make some clever game thats easy to make (goat simulator anyone?), or make android games.

Grunt "programmers" don't make a ton of money, the developers and owners of the games/applications are what make the money. Whens the last time you think Bill Gates coded anything? :D

To be brutally blunt, you're probably not going to get a job at a firm without a piece of paper saying you went to school for it.

Your best bet to "make money" is to make a mod on an existing title, make some clever game thats easy to make (goat simulator anyone?), or make android games.

Grunt "programmers" don't make a ton of money, the developers and owners of the games/applications are what make the money. Whens the last time you think Bill Gates coded anything? :D
ok, i mainly mentioned making money because i know im ready when i can make money out of it! im just getting ready from now ! but ok i will keep making apps and gaining experience !

The key, really, is to push yourself.
Don't play with what you already know in Java (AVR, Python, whatever), go deeper into it.
I would focus on one language and really learn it. Not just do exercises, but go deep.

Make a Windows program that can scan through and communicate with things on the SMBus, read registers and write registers on them, and you'll make some people very happy.
Take that program and expand it to turn those read register values into a display, ideally both a live number and a graph of the numbers over time.
Add to that a few sliders or number boxes with up/down arrows, that write their data to specific registers on a given SMBus address.

BAM, fan controller software.
The hardware fan controllers on most modern motherboards are connected via SMBus, so at the very least you can control and log those fans.
Better yet, if someone (you, me, ameel, anybody) makes an addon fan controller with a SMBus link you can control that too.
Plus, of course, most GPUs use SMBus to communicate with their onboard voltage regulators to set core/ram voltages.
There're a ton of things connected to the SMBusses in modern computers.
As a note, SMBus is a slightly modified i2c. I'm not sure what has been modified, but for the most part the two seem to be compatible.

Alternatively if you're feeling adventurous you could take on the task of writing a USB stack for TI Tiva-C MCUs to use in the Energia IDE. I know that would make people extremely happy, I'm one of them.

Alternatively, look for what people want and/or what people need, and write that program.

I know a guy who would desperately love a version of notepad (the basic windows program) with a spellchecker (that puts the red lines under misspelled words) and a quick and easy way to change the font and text size it uses to display the raw text input.
Saves in raw text, just like notepad, it's just the display font that you change.
No clue if he'd pay for it, or if it'd even be legal for him to send you money (international trade laws are not my area of expertise), but I know he'd be excessively happy.

What I've learned from experience is that learning the basics of a language is easy. Actually learning a language less so. Learning enough of a language to actually make money off it is much harder.

I guess my message to you is the same as my message has always been to the benching team: If it seems easy, you're not pushing hard enough. Push harder, go further.

Make me a windows program that speaks RS232 via a COM port and will take numbers entered into four text boxes (0-100) and send them as CSV, and then populate eight displays with CSV formatted data (four 0-100, four 0-9999) that comes in from the COM port and I'll be happy. That'll be able to talk to one of my fan controllers.
That seems like a decent start.

The key, really, is to push yourself.
Don't play with what you already know in Java (AVR, Python, whatever), go deeper into it.
I would focus on one language and really learn it. Not just do exercises, but go deep.

Make a Windows program that can scan through and communicate with things on the SMBus, read registers and write registers on them, and you'll make some people very happy.
Take that program and expand it to turn those read register values into a display, ideally both a live number and a graph of the numbers over time.
Add to that a few sliders or number boxes with up/down arrows, that write their data to specific registers on a given SMBus address.

BAM, fan controller software.
The hardware fan controllers on most modern motherboards are connected via SMBus, so at the very least you can control and log those fans.
Better yet, if someone (you, me, ameel, anybody) makes an addon fan controller with a SMBus link you can control that too.
Plus, of course, most GPUs use SMBus to communicate with their onboard voltage regulators to set core/ram voltages.
There're a ton of things connected to the SMBusses in modern computers.
As a note, SMBus is a slightly modified i2c. I'm not sure what has been modified, but for the most part the two seem to be compatible.

Alternatively if you're feeling adventurous you could take on the task of writing a USB stack for TI Tiva-C MCUs to use in the Energia IDE. I know that would make people extremely happy, I'm one of them.

Alternatively, look for what people want and/or what people need, and write that program.

I know a guy who would desperately love a version of notepad (the basic windows program) with a spellchecker (that puts the red lines under misspelled words) and a quick and easy way to change the font and text size it uses to display the raw text input.
Saves in raw text, just like notepad, it's just the display font that you change.
No clue if he'd pay for it, or if it'd even be legal for him to send you money (international trade laws are not my area of expertise), but I know he'd be excessively happy.

What I've learned from experience is that learning the basics of a language is easy. Actually learning a language less so. Learning enough of a language to actually make money off it is much harder.

I guess my message to you is the same as my message has always been to the benching team: If it seems easy, you're not pushing hard enough. Push harder, go further.

Make me a windows program that speaks RS232 via a COM port and will take numbers entered into four text boxes (0-100) and send them as CSV, and then populate eight displays with CSV formatted data (four 0-100, four 0-9999) that comes in from the COM port and I'll be happy. That'll be able to talk to one of my fan controllers.
That seems like a decent start.

:eek: ok, i believe the same! (when its easy your not ...)

i have no idea whats SMBus but im googling it!
thanks for help:) if i want to choose a language i will chose C++, i love C++ + i feel really good coding with C++ compared to java or ect!

let another journey begin..... xD,
EDIT: only thing i found on the net was that SMBus is, no tutorials or anything about it, i have no idea how to communicate with c++ using SMBus, can you give me a link or anything to start with it?!!(if you have time to :|) i couldn't find anything

Last edited:
I believe Bobnova is referring to: The System Management Bus (abbreviated to SMBus or SMB) is a single-ended simple two-wire bus for the purpose of lightweight communication. Most commonly it is found in computer motherboards for communication with the power source for ON/OFF instructions.
You would need to use Microsoft Visual Studio SDK to make the windows app.
I really like IntelliSense in this IDE :)

I believe Bobnova is referring to: The System Management Bus (abbreviated to SMBus or SMB) is a single-ended simple two-wire bus for the purpose of lightweight communication. Most commonly it is found in computer motherboards for communication with the power source for ON/OFF instructions.
You would need to use Microsoft Visual Studio SDK to make the windows app.
I really like IntelliSense in this IDE :)
i know, but any guide how to cummunicate with it? like to change fan speed ect!

Create the Win app first, then start working with it, make sure you write the "DIM" to include fan speed. You'll have to work it out :)

Great idea Bobnova, I might give it a shot when I have more time :)

Create the Win app first, then start working with it, make sure you write the "DIM" to include fan speed. You'll have to work it out :)

Great idea Bobnova, I might give it a shot when I have more time :)
whats win app :O? i got Confused

Last edited:
It's the GUI for Widow Applications that you would make. Create it first then start coding it.
Tip:The polynomial to use is x8+x2+x+1, initialized to zero.

It's the GUI for Widow Applications that you would make. Create it first then start coding it.
Tip:The polynomial to use is x8+x2+x+1, initialized to zero.
hmm.i never heard about it. , i make GUI apps with Qt,

Tip:The polynomial to use is x8+x2+x+1, initialized to zero. i dont know what you mean by this,

i dont know how to get the i2c recived data in C++!

im confused ! what do you mean :?

Last edited:
You'll need Microsoft Visual Studio, make a storyboard, write the pseudocode then start creating your Windows Application, its what we do as programmers we create.
Tip: Use a Wire library, Wire.begin() or Wire.begin(address) must first be called to start any I2C communication using the Wire library. The Wire.begin() method sets the Wire library's internal read and write buffer indices and lengths to 0, then readies the hardware with the twi.init() function call. Google "Wire library" :) End of tips.
Have Fun :)

You'll need Microsoft Visual Studio, make a storyboard, write the pseudocode then start creating your Windows Application, its what we do as programmers we create.
Tip: Use a Wire library, Wire.begin() or Wire.begin(address) must first be called to start any I2C communication using the Wire library. The Wire.begin() method sets the Wire library's internal read and write buffer indices and lengths to 0, then readies the hardware with the twi.init() function call. Google "Wire library" :) End of tips.
Have Fun :)
i dont use visual Studio, and for my small apps i dont make storyboard :)
im gonna learn about the Wire library!

damn it Wiring is from Google and Google devstuff is banned here :(

Last Tip: Syntax for C++
DXGKDDI_I2C_RECEIVE_DATA_FROM_DISPLAY DxgkDdiI2CReceiveDataFromDisplay;

NTSTATUS DxgkDdiI2CReceiveDataFromDisplay(
_In_ PVOID MiniportDeviceContext,
_In_ D3DDDI_VIDEO_PRESENT_TARGET_ID VidPnTargetId,
_In_ ULONG SevenBitI2CAddress,
_In_ ULONG Flags,
_In_ ULONG DataLength,
_Out_ PVOID Data
)