• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ivy Bridge (3770K & 3570K) Results and Discussion thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What board you using?

The one in my signature Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3 F11 bios. And now it also is crashing i'm probably going to put my 2500k back in it runs fine at 5.0 GHz can I return the IB to microcenter, it's not worth a motherboard for me.

Last edited:
Damn a lot of you are like drag racers.

You just want to make your PC as fast as possible, even if you do blow stuff :p

Damn a lot of you are like drag racers.

You just want to make your PC as fast as possible, even if you do blow stuff :p

Thats my mission "IT ALL BLOWED UP" :)

Running 3 3770K's starting tomorrow LN2 Gig and Asus boards and IMOG all weekend same same!!!

On DICE

6GHz_DICE_CPUZ_VAL_SCREEN.JPG

I feel the speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddd

need more SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

CPUz_64.PNG

Yeah BABY FRY FRY FRY

Thanks wish i would have seen that article.

Can I return a CPU to microcenter a get money back?

I have returned them said that it didnt work problems! You may want to look into getting a Gig Z77 UD3H great board cheap! sell your other set up maybe just a thought :shrug:

I've returned a sealed CPU box to microcenter, they claim they don't accept returns on open box CPUs unless defective... However I bought an open box CPU there once, so they certainly do accept returns. Of course, then that same CPU had several bent pins when I took it out of the box, so I returned it again - and got awkward looks like they questioned if I was the one that bent them (they didn't really give me a hard time, but I felt as though I did something wrong - I didn't). 2 trips to microcenter in 2 days, 4 hours driving - I wasn't a happy bunny.

The one in my signature Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3 F11 bios. And now it also is crashing i'm probably going to put my 2500k back in it runs fine at 5.0 GHz can I return the IB to microcenter, it's not worth a motherboard for me.

I have a Biostar Z68 motherboard that has the same IB bios limitations. I'm hoping that an eventual bios update will resolve this issue.

I have returned them said that it didnt work problems! You may want to look into getting a Gig Z77 UD3H great board cheap! sell your other set up maybe just a thought :shrug:
Thanks yea i have been looking at boards and that's all i need is a cheap Z77 board.
I've returned a sealed CPU box to microcenter, they claim they don't accept returns on open box CPUs unless defective... However I bought an open box CPU there once, so they certainly do accept returns. Of course, then that same CPU had several bent pins when I took it out of the box, so I returned it again - and got awkward looks like they questioned if I was the one that bent them (they didn't really give me a hard time, but I felt as though I did something wrong - I didn't). 2 trips to microcenter in 2 days, 4 hours driving - I wasn't a happy bunny.

Thanks sounds like if i don't get a new board i will have to sell the CPU.
I have a Biostar Z68 motherboard that has the same IB bios limitations. I'm hoping that an eventual bios update will resolve this issue.
There is more than just the oveclcocking problem with Gigabyte. After I was using the IB for a while the PC would lock up and i would have to restart then after restart the screen would say you have a hardware problem, it did this many times then i reinstalled my 2500k and it's fine now.:eh?: I will wait 30 days to see what Gigabyte will do for a Bios update.

So I'm in the process of overclocking my 3770k right now, so far got to 4.6 stable and trying to hit atleast 4700. I'm getting worried when my temps get in the 85-90 C range when doing Prime95 on all 8 threads. Should I be? TJ Max is 105 yes but will the processor not get damaged unless it goes over that point?

If you guys think it's fine to be in the 90's I can push this a little further, and chances are I'll never come close to the 90's on regular use anyways, even playing games.

I'm on H100 cooling.

If you can get it to run stable at that temp you should be fine. I wouldn't suggest running higher than 90C for 24/7 use. At stock voltage you could run at 104C but given extra voltage TJmax starts to be less accurate of a guideline for temps.

So I'm in the process of overclocking my 3770k right now, so far got to 4.6 stable and trying to hit atleast 4700. I'm getting worried when my temps get in the 85-90 C range when doing Prime95 on all 8 threads. Should I be? TJ Max is 105 yes but will the processor not get damaged unless it goes over that point?

If you guys think it's fine to be in the 90's I can push this a little further, and chances are I'll never come close to the 90's on regular use anyways, even playing games.

I'm on H100 cooling.

Same chip and same cooler here. I was able to get to 4.5GHz fairly easy, a bump in voltage and temps for 4.6, but the jump in required vCore and temps to get 4.7 was staggering. I cant really see you keeping it under 90c unless you have some 50db crazy loud / high CFM fans.

Or you de-lid the chip and replace the stock TIM.

Thanks yea i have been looking at boards and that's all i need is a cheap Z77 board.

Thanks sounds like if i don't get a new board i will have to sell the CPU.
There is more than just the oveclcocking problem with Gigabyte. After I was using the IB for a while the PC would lock up and i would have to restart then after restart the screen would say you have a hardware problem, it did this many times then i reinstalled my 2500k and it's fine now.:eh?: I will wait 30 days to see what Gigabyte will do for a Bios update.

Sounds like the OC wasent all that stable, I have had a chip I could OC and even run benching then reboot and wamo. thats usualy a sign of OC failed.

On the other hand I will shoot a e to Gigabyte on your board to see if theres any plan to revise the microcode in the bios for unlocking the multi :)

Sounds like the OC wasent all that stable, I have had a chip I could OC and even run benching then reboot and wamo. thats usualy a sign of OC failed.

On the other hand I will shoot a e to Gigabyte on your board to see if theres any plan to revise the microcode in the bios for unlocking the multi :)

I am using with no overclock default settings and i also tried turning off turbo and it still locks up regularly.

I did ask gigabyte if they are working on a bios update and this is what i got back for a reply.

QUOTE: Dear customer,

cpu clock ratio could be adjusted up to x38 in bios under M.I.T advance frequency setting. So far that’s the limitation of Award BIOS on Ivy bridge processor.

And setting to 3.8GHz does not work correctly it will only go to 3.6GHz with prime 95.
The article link you gave said they had the same problem.

I am using with no overclock default settings and i also tried turning off turbo and it still locks up regularly.

I did ask gigabyte if they are working on a bios update and this is what i got back for a reply.

QUOTE: Dear customer,

cpu clock ratio could be adjusted up to x38 in bios under M.I.T advance frequency setting. So far that’s the limitation of Award BIOS on Ivy bridge processor.

And setting to 3.8GHz does not work correctly it will only go to 3.6GHz with prime 95.
The article link you gave said they had the same problem.

Sounds like you need to make a choice? sell your current system if you want IB or keep what you have.

Well I am in between tests and I have decided to take a break and play with this since the next step requires insertion of a video card, a multimeter and my kill-o-watt:( Time to work now; playtime is over!

anyone got the 3570k to run 4.5ghz stable daily with a 212 cooler? Mine is coming in the next few days and I like to get it to that limit.

Back