• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enter The Matrix: Slice out and get the best part from your hard drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
bing said:
Btw, ICH9R mobo is already in horizon !

hyperasus said:
Really:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Any word on what new treats it will bring to the table? 6 drive Matrix RAID 0 perhaps:attn:

Come on guys... the Asus P5K range is already available and I think the Gigabyte also... both sport the ICH9R if I'm not mistaken. I think the main difference is that it gives about 12 USB ports... unsure on the drive implications tho - still seems like 6 SATA2 ports.

I need confirmation from u guys. If I set up two 250GB 7200.10 as RAID0 and split them into few partition, will the partition manager allocate the fastest part of the disks to first partition and so on? The reason I want to do this is because I want my OS and swap files installed into the fastest part of the hard drive and I want to have all the 500GB of space too instead of doing matrix. Thanks.

hello guys, here my results on Raptors x4:

raid.000.png

raid.001.png

raid.002.png

raid.003.png

what can I say.. loved Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager and Raptors! ;)

wyemarn said:
will the partition manager allocate the fastest part of the disks to first partition and so on?

Yes, any 1st partition created will be allocated to the fastest part a.k.a. outer ring of the harddisk. This apply to raid volume creation as well.

To tasoR:

Wellcome to OcF ! :welcome: :)

That is a great performance you got with that 4 Raptors beast there ! :D
Especially at the avg. seek time and 300MB/s STR, must be feeling snappy isn't it ? :)

johan851 said:
Probably the P5B-Plus. I'm looking for an inexpensive Core2Duo upgrade.

Ok, I guess you must be preparing to do some benchmark for your own in comparing ICH7R vs ICH8R don't you ? :D If you do, please share it here !

tasoR said:
hello guys, here my results on Raptors x4:

what can I say.. loved Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager and Raptors! ;)

Now that right there is a machine!!!!

tasoR... you da man!

Mate... what a flippin awesome setup. I didn't take long enough to look, but what O/S are you using and how long does it take to boot up? (power button on through to desktop appearing)

Oh yeah... WELCOME

anyone... ANYONE HELP ME... how do i create the raid on the abit ab9 quadgt... i just can't get into the damn raid utility... :(

g0dM@n said:
anyone... ANYONE HELP ME... how do i create the raid on the abit ab9 quadgt... i just can't get into the damn raid utility... :(

The Integrated Peripherals menu contains submenus controlling the operation of the onboard and system integrated devices. The On-Chip IDE Device submenu contains configuration settings for SATA 2 ports operated via the ICH8R controller chipset. The SATA Mode option controls the working state of the RAID chipset, with the boot BIOS automatically queued for startup with the RAID setting selected. Note that the Intel RAID boot BIOS will only show on startup with the On-Chip SATA Mode option set to RAID and one or more hard disks attached to the ICH8R controlled SATA 2 ports. The On-Chip PCI Device submenu contains USB 2.0 and audio related settings, while the Onboard PCI Device submenu contains the IEEE 1394, JMicron RAID controller and integrated NIC configuration options. The JMB363 SATA Controller options controls the main operating state of the connected e-SATA ports, while the actual mode of operation of those ports is configured via the Controller Mode option. Note that the RAID boot BIOS loads automatically during system initialization with the RAID setting active.

a quote from here... http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMzMiwzLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Hope that helps

fritzman said:
The Integrated Peripherals menu contains submenus controlling the operation of the onboard and system integrated devices. The On-Chip IDE Device submenu contains configuration settings for SATA 2 ports operated via the ICH8R controller chipset. The SATA Mode option controls the working state of the RAID chipset, with the boot BIOS automatically queued for startup with the RAID setting selected. Note that the Intel RAID boot BIOS will only show on startup with the On-Chip SATA Mode option set to RAID and one or more hard disks attached to the ICH8R controlled SATA 2 ports. The On-Chip PCI Device submenu contains USB 2.0 and audio related settings, while the Onboard PCI Device submenu contains the IEEE 1394, JMicron RAID controller and integrated NIC configuration options. The JMB363 SATA Controller options controls the main operating state of the connected e-SATA ports, while the actual mode of operation of those ports is configured via the Controller Mode option. Note that the RAID boot BIOS loads automatically during system initialization with the RAID setting active.

a quote from here... http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMzMiwzLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Hope that helps
I did set SATA to RAID... and still no luck... I'm on ports 1 and 2 for my two raptors... and my WD320 is on sata4.... :( i don't see instructions in the manual... what the heck? (maybe i'm just losing my mind... happens often)

g0dM@n said:
I did set SATA to RAID... and still no luck... I'm on ports 1 and 2 for my two raptors... and my WD320 is on sata4.... :( i don't see instructions in the manual... what the heck? (maybe i'm just losing my mind... happens often)

It'll be something simple mate... don't sweat it too much.

I d/l the manual and looked there before I checked some other sites, and couldn't find it either. I take it for granted there isn't a line or something that quickly flashes up on the screen on the way thru? Nah... that would be too easy.

With the Asus boards, it's Ctrl+I from memory... Abit isn't the same by chance?

Okay, whether I overlooked something or not... this is a BAD TASTE in my mouth for Abit's board already... this is the most annoying thing I've dealt with... 2 hours to figure out how to get to raid utility... jerks... couldn't spare another 2 sheets of paper for a nice Raid Setup Guide.

I tried disabling IDE MASTER (w/e that does) too...

I tried setting SATA to RAID... tried to set to that other option too... tried other sata ports... I just don't get it.

And now it's almost too late to spend time on this... I've been dying to get this thing finally going and now I can't...

How hard is it supposed to be to freakin' raid0 my raptors... it was a CINCH on other boards...

what the heck???

is this a WEIRD FLUKE??? I disabled the JMicron SATA Controller, and now I finally see the prompt for the Intel matrix raid setup...

WHAT THE HECK? It didn't show it before... odd, no??

Great to hear you managed to get thru the Intel's screen ! Now, we're expecting your benchies SS here ! :)

Btw, wellcome to the club ! :D

g0dM@n said:
Okay, whether I overlooked something or not... this is a BAD TASTE in my mouth for Abit's board already... this is the most annoying thing I've dealt with... 2 hours to figure out how to get to raid utility... jerks... couldn't spare another 2 sheets of paper for a nice Raid Setup Guide.

I tried disabling IDE MASTER (w/e that does) too...

I tried setting SATA to RAID... tried to set to that other option too... tried other sata ports... I just don't get it.

And now it's almost too late to spend time on this... I've been dying to get this thing finally going and now I can't...

How hard is it supposed to be to freakin' raid0 my raptors... it was a CINCH on other boards...

You probably looked at this [ http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=124040 ]while you were in the other QuadGT thread here that I saw... but I would drop that tech at the bottom of page 1 a PM and see if he can sort you out. Clearly he has the experience.

SCREW THIS BOARD...

This is so RETARDED.

So I FINALLY build my raid... and my DVD Burner won't boot until I enable the JMicron controller (okay, maybe that makes sense)...

So... I go to boot from the DVD Burner as 1st boot device... it boots and says "Entering Windows Setup..." or something like that... THEN THE COMPUTER REBOOTS!!! It keeps doing this.

Talk about a piece of junk motherboard... and I was excited initially about Abit.

g0dM@n said:
SCREW THIS BOARD...

This is so RETARDED.

So I FINALLY build my raid... and my DVD Burner won't boot until I enable the JMicron controller (okay, maybe that makes sense)...

So... I go to boot from the DVD Burner as 1st boot device... it boots and says "Entering Windows Setup..." or something like that... THEN THE COMPUTER REBOOTS!!! It keeps doing this.

Talk about a piece of junk motherboard... and I was excited initially about Abit.

Bummer mate that it's giving you so much grief.

If you decide to ditch it... it looks like the P5K-Deluxe is the way to go. There are a few good threads at XS & a couple here, but they are all getting really exciting results.

Here is the best thread so far... http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=144199&page=1

the one thing that will suck about having to get a new mobo is...

first, i already STUPIDLY sent in the $30 rebate for this mobo... maybe newegg will just charge me 15%... second, i'll have to rewire everything... and gonna have to somehow manage with my watercooling... don't wanna take it apart again. :(

i will have to redesign the wiring b/c i run them behind the mobo SPECIFICALLY to match up perfectly... oh well.

so when it says "SETUP IS INSPECTING YOUR COMPUTER'S HARDWARE CONFIGURATION"... it instantly reboots.

Back