• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10k vs 7k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Will you notice a biggg difference between a single raptor compared to a single 7k rpm hd???
The 10k would be "snappier", as in it would load small files really fast. I don't think it is worth the noise though, I'll do raid instead :-/

Keep in mind that there is at least one thing that a 10k disk will do better than a 7k disk, 100% of the time-random seeks. If the data you need has just passed the head before the head looks for it, it will take less time for a 10k platter to bring the data to the head again than it will a 7k disk. In fact, this will apply no matter how far away or close to the head the data may be. In real life I think you'll see a somewhat snappier machine.

I would choose WD Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drive at $119.99 :attn: over that pimpin looks Raptor X 150GB Hard Drive $199.99 :(, and especially with mobo like in your sig, will upgrade later with another same drive for raid or matrix raid. :D

I know you work at CompUSA, but for $120 you can almost get (2) of the 250GB Seagates mentioned above. Too bad CompUSA doesn't sell that model.

2 of the 250's in RAID0 will give you much better performance than a single 500GB drive.

Edit: If I had to choose I'd get the WD.

Copy,paste it in Google.
Yes, but you could have taken 5 seconds to type "because it has a firmware issue" and that saves me 10 minutes of trying to figure out what you were going to say ;)

Get #3 for the cheapest price and good performance. Maxtor is second rate hard drives based in my experience and the Samsung is overpriced. Forget Matrix, RAID as it has nothing to do with your purchase questions.

Yes, but you could have taken 5 seconds to type "because it has a firmware issue" and that saves me 10 minutes of trying to figure out what you were going to say ;)

I don't think that's the one w/ firmware issues. I think he's saying if you get the single platter 250GB model you will have performance similar to the Raptor, but a lot cheaper.

The 320GB model has firmware issues if I'm not mistaken.

I don't see how my computer would be snappier. The 10k rpm drive spins about 1.39 times the speed of the 7.2k rpm drive. The thing spins around 120 times a second for the 7.2k and 167 times per second for the 10k. Can you really tell the difference in the amount of time it takes them to spin around? That difference is only .0023 seconds. That is only 1/435th of a second. I don't see how "snappiness" is anything outside the head of the user.

just to be a jerk- look at how a filesystem is laid out sometime... that single file might be in 20 different locations, and that drive might have to make 20 revolutions to get it- unless it misses the data due to a seek timing thing, and has to make another round.

just saying.

myself, i'll always choose a higher density, cheaper drive over a more expensive 'faster' drive, you get more bang for the buck with a high density drive because its peak throughput is typically about the same as a higher rpm model. (at least in the desktop computing world, from what i've seen)

Back