• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What can I clock a PIII 450 to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1oldfart

First I want to say hello, I'm new here.
This is what I Have, where can I go?
Cpu-Z Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cpu-Z version 1.15.

Number of CPUs 1

Cpu Name Intel Pentium III (Katmaï)
Specification Intel Pentium III 450MHz
Family / Model / Stepping 6 7 3
Extended Family / Model 0 0
Package Slot 1 SECC2
Core Stepping kC0
Technology 0.25µ
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE
Cpu Clock 451.0 MHz
Clock multiplier x 4.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 100.2 MHz
Bus Speed 100.2 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 Kbytes, 4-way set associative, 32 bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 16 Kbytes, 4-way set associative, 32 bytes line size
L2 Cache 512 Kbytes, 4-way set associative, 32 bytes line size
L2 Latency 8
L2 Speed 225.5 MHz (1/2)
L2 Location On Cartridge
L2 ECC Check enabled
L2 Data Prefetch Logic no
L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Motherboard manufacturer Creative Technology Ltd.
Motherboard model M003 Intel i440BX AGPset, 2A69KH2E
BIOS vendor Award Software International, Inc.
BIOS revision 4.51 PG
BIOS release date 10/21/99
Chipset Intel i440BX/ZX rev. C1
Southbridge Intel 82371 (PIIX4) rev. 2

RAM Type SDRAM
RAM Size 256 Mb
RAM Frequency 100.2 MHz
CAS# Latency 3.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 2 clocks
RAS# Precharge 2 clocks
# of memory modules 2
Module 0 SDRAM PC133 - 128 Mb
Module 1 SpecTek Incorporated SDRAM PC133 - 128 Mb

AGP Status enabled, rev. 1.0
AGP Data Transfert Rate 1x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 Mb

Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Workstation Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

If that isn't an Intel motherboard you have in there, you might make it to 550. 600 would be the upper limit I'd say. If you do have the Intel motherboard, things will be significantly more difficult if not impossible.

Hopefully you can find some jumpers on that machine to change the fsb. If not, maybe you will have a bios that allows overclocking of the fsb. Maybe you could give us some more info on the mobo and we can help.

You're also going to need some extra voltage to that chip to get much more than 50MHz+ out of it. Good cooling on both the chip and the off-die L2 cache is an absolute necessity. The L2 is what holds those older Katmai chips back in almost every case.

If you can get the heatsink off of there, notice what latency the L2 is. Anything at or below 4ns is desirable.

you should get 558 out of it, much beyond that, is going to take some radical thinking....BTW, I think the board you have is made for or by EMPAC (now defunct)...that is the motherboard for the BlasterPC.
I think the highest fsb you can get is 133, but I'm not totaly sure.
I had a 450PIII that would do 558 and no more, and my freinds would do 630, and both were from the same batch/week and we were both using Alpha P3 125s heatsinks.
Cooling is key if you can keep it under 38/40c and still give enough voltage(not exceeding 1.95v), then you have a chance.
Good Luck

Thanks to all and yes MadClocker, it is in a blaster PC and the highest fsb is 133. I'll have to work on it maybe this weekend, I have to work today. Again, thanks.

Not exceeding 1.95 volts!?? You sure? I would have sworn that the default voltage of the Katmai's was 2.0V. I must look this one up.

Dave

LOL I used to have an old P3-450 at 558 too. Clocked it up without voltage increase and with the stock Intel cooler + pad... and NO casefans! Worked fine and it's still doing it's duty today (beit at 450Mhz in an Intel board).

Yeah, I checked at the Intel site. The 600MHz Kats had a default core voltage of 2.05V; otherwise, the default core voltage was 2.00V.

Dave

It might do 600 @ 133 with 2.1v if you stick some coolers on the L2 cache chips.

- JW

Sorry about miss quoting the voltages...I was thinking of my current chip which is a coppermine, Dang, my brain is going...I seem to think the old katmai was 1.65 default, but that must be the coppie....which has never seen a default volt, or fsb.
I still wouldn't push the volts too much on the old 450.
Cooling the cache chips is a very good idea, because the cache is what holds the cpu from clocking very high on those slot ones.
I always thought that a slot one gorb with the "wings" cut off would allow the air from the gorb to flow over the cache chips, but I think there is one or two on the backside.

Those Kats were 2.0v default and would usually do ok up to 2.2v if you have better than average cooling (maybe 2.3v with excellent cooling). The trouble with the 450 is that with it's 4.5X multiplier, trying to run 133 FSB so you can use the 1/4 PCI divider is often very tough to do. But, using 112 FSB is an easy overclock that can usually be done without any extra cooling or voltage increases. That would give you 504 MHz and a noticeable performance gain (assuming you have FSB settings between 100 and 133 on your mobo). Those P-II Kats had 512k of cache which was great, but since it was not on the die, the L2 cache also hindered overclocking somewhat unless you did special cooling mods.

Last edited:
Back