• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beep Codes for a gigabyte MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greg2601

Does anyone know how to read the beep codes on a Gigabyte Z97-UD3H MB? I cannot find anything at their website. Not sure if I fried it or if it is something else.

A dead CPU, usually impossible for it to even bleep, FYI. (Including CPU failing to respond because of a broken pin.)

And there's also a good chance it won't bleep when there's RAM not making proper contact. (May give symptoms resembling a damaged CPU)

While OTOH, it's real likely to bleep furiously with a fan issue, if the RPM sensor isn't working or working correctly.

Repeated bleeping= Reseat the RAM, just like mentioned on the second line.

1 long and several short bleeps=May just be the fan. (Especially Asus)

1 long and several short bleeps=Some motherboards seem to be real fussy with RAM. More likely with a cheap motherboard.

Based on AMI, which is typical on Intel platforms. (Gigabyte sometimes uses Award, even with Intel CPUs and Dell likes to use Award (and Phoenix) )

(AMD systems, at least the old school ones, typically uses Award.)

Last edited:
faq_q.gif
What does BIOS beep sound mean?

faq_a.gif
1.AWARD BIOS 1short beep :System normal 2 short beep :CMOS Error 1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error 1 long beep and 2 short beep:Graphic card error 1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error 1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed 2.AMI BIOS 1 short beep :Memory Error 2 short beep:Memory parity check error. 3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error 4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction . 5 short beep :CPU error 6 short beep:Keyboard error 7 short beep :CPU interruption error 8 short beep:Graphic card error 9 short beep :Memory error 10 short beep :CMOS error 11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction

Seems like there are already all answers in this thread. Gigabyte is using Award BIOS/UEFI. When CPU is dead then is no sound at all ( on diagnostic display is or 00 or it's not working at all ). When CPU is fine then board is always making some beeps and Robert17 already made a list of codes.

Well, it turned out to be a bent pin under the CPU. Was able to get it to boot with 1 memory stick, but it still just beeps if I try to add more memory. I have a new MSI MPower MB coming tomorrow.

Back