• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X4 945 cause bottleneck for R9 290?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexzai89

Last year, I played my Crysis 3 using my GTX560 with everything low setting. But recently, i brought an Sapphire R9 290 and replay the game. I maxed out everything in the Graphic and the advance graphic area.. The game was smooth until I reach middle of the game that required heavy rendering, the game start to lagging badly. I tried lower the graphic setting to mid setting and restart the game, it still lagging.

My PC Spec
AMD Phenom II x4 945
MSI 990FXA-GD65
Sapphire R9 290
CM GX750 Bronze
Custom cooling loop for processor.

Last year, I played my Crysis 3 using my GTX560 with everything low setting. But recently, i brought an Sapphire R9 290 and replay the game. I maxed out everything in the Graphic and the advance graphic area.. The game was smooth until I reach middle of the game that required heavy rendering, the game start to lagging badly. I tried lower the graphic setting to mid setting and restart the game, it still lagging.

My PC Spec
AMD Phenom II x4 945
MSI 990FXA-GD65
Sapphire R9 290
CM GX750 Bronze

Grab MSI Afterburner and run it. Then open task manager and play your game. When you note you lag, swicth to Afterburner and check the GPU usage %. then check the CPU usage %.

If CPU usage is high. 70+% and the GPU usage is low, I'd say it's the CPU bottlenecking.

My PC Spec
AMD Phenom II x4 945
MSI 990FXA-GD65
Sapphire R9 290
CM GX750 Bronze

What model sapphire r9 290 is it? Reference? Vapor-x? Trixxx? And was this card bought used or new? I've been reading that some people buying Radeon cards used have had problems. Most used Radeon cards used to be mining cards. A card that has been over clocked heavily, and run 100% for months on end while near over heating the entire time starts to screw up just processing normal tasks

You also have to make sure the video card isn't overheating. If it only lags on that specific part, the card might be getting hot enough with all the rendering to start throttling itself. Msi afterburner will also show card temp. If this is the case, most times it is easily fixed with setting up a custom fan curve profile.

Last edited:
What model sapphire r9 290 is it? Reference? Vapor-x? Trixxx? And was this card bought used or new? I've been reading that some people buying Radeon cards used have had problems. Most used Radeon cards used to be mining cards. A card that has been over clocked heavily, and run 100% for months on end while near over heating the entire time starts to screw up just processing normal tasks

You also have to make sure the video card isn't overheating. If it only lags on that specific part, the card might be getting hot enough with all the rendering to start throttling itself. Msi afterburner will also show card temp. If this is the case, most times it is easily fixed with setting up a custom fan curve profile.

Only a stupid miner would let their cards overheat like that. I mine so I know what it can do to cards over time. Most miners keep the cards below 80*C ;)

Anywho Infinite66 is right, if it's overheating that could cause throttling.

Only a stupid miner would let their cards overheat like that. I mine so I know what it can do to cards over time. Most miners keep the cards below 80*C ;)

Anywho Infinite66 is right, if it's overheating that could cause throttling.

Not all miners are dumb I know. But some of the pictures I've seen online made me cringe. The last 1 I saw was a guy who used wooden wedges that looked like doorstops to pry the video cards away from 1 another to allow them to breathe.

Not all miners are dumb I know. But some of the pictures I've seen online made me cringe. The last 1 I saw was a guy who used wooden wedges that looked like doorstops to pry the video cards away from 1 another to allow them to breathe.

Now that's just plain dumb.

There's better ways than that. (Like getting the proper sized motherboard LOL! )

Anyway OP, let us know how the temps and CPU usage are :)

Grab MSI Afterburner and run it. Then open task manager and play your game. When you note you lag, swicth to Afterburner and check the GPU usage %. then check the CPU usage %.

If CPU usage is high. 70+% and the GPU usage is low, I'd say it's the CPU bottlenecking.

I will do this when i get back home.. Working right now :p

It's a R9 290 Reference Card, it a used card. Owner said that he use it to play online game and not for mining. He claim that he cannot utilize the full potential of this card and sold 2 out of 3 of his card.

I'm pretty sure my card wasn't overheat because I use CCC to limit the temperature to 80 degree and set the fan limit to 85%

The card temp on full load is about 70-75 degree with fan speed at 78-81%, and it sound like a going to take off jumbo jet.. lol

It's a R9 290 Reference Card, it a used card. Owner said that he use it to play online game and not for mining. He claim that he cannot utilize the full potential of this card and sold 2 out of 3 of his card.

I'm pretty sure my card wasn't overheat because I use CCC to limit the temperature to 80 degree and set the fan limit to 85%

The card temp on full load is about 70-75 degree with fan speed at 78-81%, and it sound like a going to take off jumbo jet.. lol

Well if you have the cash, I would grab the accelero extreme triple 92mm fan cooler for that card. Seems to be the go to choice for making those reference r9 290's shut up and still stay cool. It could possibly be a bottleneck, or just crysis being crysis. Unoptimized and bloated. Do as Silver_Pharaoh said and check gpu usage. Might be time to grab a new CPU.

Found your issue. (look below for answer)

Well if you have the cash, I would grab the accelero extreme triple 92mm fan cooler for that card. Seems to be the go to choice for making those reference r9 290's shut up and still stay cool. It could possibly be a bottleneck, or just crysis being crysis. Unoptimized and bloated. Do as Silver_Pharaoh said and check gpu usage. Might be time to grab a new CPU.

This is your answer. The reference coolers are known for being so hot u can cook on them. If your CCC is pushed to the limit and your doing heavy rendering then whats happening is that your GPU is downclocking itself to keep from frying. Classic issue but solved by a better cooler. If you have the cash there are a ton of cool and useful mods you can do to make it better. overall the reference pcb is great but the cooler is and was the fly in the soup. As far as a Phenom II x4. It shouldn't be the issue unless your thermo paste is applyed to heavy or to light.(how old is it btw, did you OC it and if so @ what volts) If so then same idea. TOO hot it downclocks to keep temps optimal. which will slow the overall gameplay. Most people with loops who got reference just got a block and added it in on the loop and should solve some of the issues. But My money is on Heat as the issue. Check thermo pads under the cooler on the VRM, check thermo paste for spread (or reapply better paste), use After burn and please SCREEN SHOT and post. We are detectives but cant do nothing without evidence.

If it happens to be a CPU issue. Luckly your MOBO is awesome. Get a fx6300-$110, fx-8320-$160, or fx-8350-$180 on sale, In that order is Good, Better, BEST cuz you are running a custom loop. or if your rich get the 9590 (about $250-300) cuz that this is nice but hot

Last edited:

I was planning to add the R9 290 into my liquid cooling loop, but before that I need to make sure what is the problem lies.
Will go and check the CPU and GPU usage when I back home later.:thup:

Found your issue. (look below for answer)

This is your answer. The reference coolers are known for being so hot u can cook on them. If your CCC is pushed to the limit and your doing heavy rendering then whats happening is that your GPU is downclocking itself to keep from frying. Classic issue but solved by a better cooler. If you have the cash there are a ton of cool and useful mods you can do to make it better. overall the reference pcb is great but the cooler is and was the fly in the soup. As far as a Phenom II x4. It shouldn't be the issue unless your thermo paste is applyed to heavy or to light.(how old is it btw, did you OC it and if so @ what volts) If so then same idea. TOO hot it downclocks to keep temps optimal. which will slow the overall gameplay. Most people with loops who got reference just got a block and added it in on the loop and should solve some of the issues. But My money is on Heat as the issue. Check thermo pads under the cooler on the VRM, check thermo paste for spread (or reapply better paste), use After burn and please SCREEN SHOT and post. We are detectives but cant do nothing without evidence.

If it happens to be a CPU issue. Luckly your MOBO is awesome. Get a fx6300-$110, fx-8320-$160, or fx-8350-$180 on sale, In that order is Good, Better, BEST cuz you are running a custom loop. or if your rich get the 9590 (about $250-300) cuz that this is nice but hot

My processor is running on stock setting without OC which is @3.0Ghz, AVG temp is at 40+ degree, full load is about 60+degree.
And yeah, this MOBO is Fantastic. Change to this mobo last year when the power surge fried my Asus M4A78T-E and CM UCP700.:mad:

If the cause is from my processor, Then I will get either a FX8350 or FX9370. FX9590 is abit too expensive :bang head:bang head

Last edited:
My processor is running on stock setting without OC which is @3.0Ghz, AVG temp is at 40+ degree, full load is about 60+degree.

When working with users in the AMD Cpu Forum section over the years it has been found that some/many/enough of the P2 processors begin to have some errors at around 55c. I don't know if you mean loaded in your games you see 60c on the cores, but if you do that can be an issue.
RGone...

When working with users in the AMD Cpu Forum section over the years it has been found that some/many/enough of the P2 processors begin to have some errors at around 55c. I don't know if you mean loaded in your games you see 60c on the cores, but if you do that can be an issue.
RGone...

Also considering that he's hitting 60c on a custom loop too. Seems that its becoming more and more of a CPU issue.

Back