• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hallen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks all- It's like the Tour de France when you get to wear the yellow jacket for a day.

I don't know what's happening with benz4140. He was just a day or two away from making the top 1,000 world wide.

I can't see making his numbers but as XP prices are coming down I can still improve and come a little closer from time to time. Maybe make him spend a million for another of whatever cruncher he is using.

Harvey

Yeah, I was just about to congradulate hallen on doing nearly
100WUs consistantly. Dude, your just 3 or so shy of breaking
100!

Tune one or two of your machines!!

I have to ask you though, could you please list out more
detials then your sig file says? I mean, what all do you have
in there, and HOW THE THE HELLL DO YOU POWER IT ALL!

Lonely Raven said:
HOW THE THE HELLL DO YOU POWER IT ALL!

Raven- I have 5 power outlets in my living room.

Each has a cluster of two to four mother boards and power supplies and a single display. No cases.

When I want to work on a system I just move the display connector to the display adapter and then figure out which mouse and keyboard belongs to it.

Nothing fancy for the network connection either. I have a BNC cable with 4 connectors with a 3COM 3C900-Combo NIC on each motherboard.

When time comes to connect I just plug in, do my send/receive and move to the next one. If everything goes well it's about a 45 minute job each morning.

When I find something good I try to buy lots on eBay and keep everything standard:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2010444810

I've gone from 462KWH to 963KWH but the electric bill has so many fixed charges the total has only increased by half.

Harvey

Last edited:
Congratulations hallen! Your making quite the effort for this team, and its obviously showing :D

Your rigs are stacking up more LOL!

Congrats My Friend!

CONGRATULATIONS Harvey!

Sorry I've been out of circulation for the past couple of days and am kind of late with this but you know how things are with me and my health sometimes. Anyway mighty fine crunching there my friend!

SkyHook
:)

Raven- Here is a picture with two Asus A7M266's in the foreground along with two Iwill XP333's in the background. All clustered around a 9 inch "eBay Special" monitor.

The A7M266's with Crucial DDR have been workhorses but I just got a new BIOS (3/14/2002) for the XP333's yesterday and the wu numbers look great.
They have 1GHz Morgan Duron's (still unlockable with a pencil) and Kingmax PC2700 @ 177MHz fsb CAS2.

Got through the night without a hangup so there is more work to be done. VCore goes up to 2.09v and VDimm 2.9v.

O/C.com 6 page special on XP333/XP333-R here:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles497/index02.asp

I haven't spent any money on "fit and finish" but this spread out arrangement lets my experiment with an array of computers. Latest project is Virtual Network Computing:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html

Eventually I'd like to clean things up and produce a marketable product. Seti is a great testing lab.

Keep crunching.

Harvey

hallen said:
Latest project is Virtual Network Computing:

Harvey

Originally suggested by TC, I've been using VNC for a while now. It's a great little program for monitoring your farm as well as keeping an eye on exactly what the kids are up to without "looking over their shoulders".

By the way the kids know I have this program and one of the conditions of their free reign on these computers is that I reserved the right to monitor their use at any time. The alternative would be very restricted use along with some sort of "Net-Nanny" and URL blocks at the router. This arrangement has been working out well for all involved.

VNC is easy to set up and use, there are a few quirks such as you cannot use the ctl/alt/del comand, this command will be taken by the host computer, also VNC does run a bit sluggishly with some lag after inputs and the screenshot refresh is slow.

Good Luck!

FRANK said:

VNC is easy to set up and use, there are a few quirks such as you cannot use the ctl/alt/del comand, this command will be taken by the host computer, also VNC does run a bit sluggishly with some lag after inputs and the screenshot refresh is slow.

actually, you can send a c/a/d frank. i forget exactly where it is, and i don't have a machine with vnc on it right here to check. sorry.

try right clicking on the window's title bar. there is a menu option to send a c/a/d sequence to the remote computer.

i know its there, because we use it all the time at work...

Thanks for the observations on VNC. I had planed a quiet weekend playing with it but ended up destroying two boards and frying two processors. All for the sake of trying to keep an XP333 alive. Should have RMA'd it right away but too late now. I still think the XP333 has possibilities and plan to beat the remaining one to death finding out what the board will do.

No sense in replacing anything right now until the Thouroughbread picture becomes clear.

VNC interests me as I can get some cheap commercial space and plan to move the hardware there next month.

It's quite warm and cozy here right now but soon the sun will start heating things up and I have no intention of using A/C.

VNC should let me remotely monitor things and together with KVM equipment
http://www.startech.com/kvmswitches/kvmswitchesfaqmain.htm

I should be able to build up, using shelving in a nice high ceilinged warehouse.

Now if I could only figure out some paying proposition for all that MGHZ.:)

Harvey

edit: I just checked price on the above KVM link. This is more of what I'm thinking:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2011544289

Last edited:
Darn Hallen!! What did you fry? Iwill board, and Epox? 1.2AXIA and which else were fried. How'd it get fry though, never relealised the smallest thing can cause a big problem.

Yodums said:
What did you fry?

Yodums- It started with a XP 1700+ in an XP333. No smoke but hot, hot undeneath the socket. Not believing the XP dead, I tried it in an 8KHA+ which just gave me an FF at power on, then on to an A7M266 which just sort of blinks.

Not knowing enough to quit I repeated the process over again with a T-Bird 1200. Then again with a Duron 1.0GHz only this time fortunately in reverse and stopping before the XP333's turn.

I thought the Duron was a goner for a while but it's back to life on the ChainTech 7SID I pulled out of storage along with your old T-Bird 800 now crunching in a A7V133.

The two boards I haven't given up on yet. The 8KHA+ gives me a C1 now while the A7M266 still just blinks.

Don't know why the whole thing happened. Maybe I didn't connect the fan. Maybe Artic Silver on the bridges that I didn't clean properly.

It was funny the XP333 would do fine everytime I put the T-Bird in but didn't like the Morgan Duron. I went back and forth several times.

Then of course I had to try the XP. As the XP333 BIOS mod says "It's BOO HOO time", only in spades.

Harvey

Back