• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H50, H60,or H70

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wyno

Ok heres the deal. I am getting older and the noiser my rig the more annoyed I am. I currently have my setup in a 6 year old NZXT case. One 120 in the front and one 120 in the rear and a side 80mm fan. Hyper 212+ cooler with original fan.

Current setup is a 2600K at 4.6. I have tried different combinations to keep it cool and also somewhat quiet at the same time. I tried a push/pull setup on the cooler. It was great for keeping it cool but I couldn't stand the flow noise through the cooler. Right now I have the original cpu fan as an exhaust fan on the case plugged into the cpu power on the board. I have a Antec 120mm fan pulling air though the cooler and I have the 80mm side fan intaking air right near the cooler. Its working well for what it is but it is still noiser than I like.

What I plan to do is buy an Antec 300 case since it's bigger and has better cooling than what I currently have. I was also thinking maybe one of the Corsair WC kits. I know the H50 is not that great a performer. I have read the H70 is louder than I most likely will like. I only found a little info on the H60. From what I can gather its a decent cooler and pretty quiet.

What I am looking for is some input on the Corsair H60 and ideas on how to quiet my rig down while maintaing my OC at 4.6-4.8. Right now the CPU hits 70-72C folding. Case temp is 33-34C and Ambient Temp is 23C.

Comments and suggestions please.

If you want low noise and better temps I'd for sure look at a better case. The 300 is pretty good, you could use more depending on your GPUs.

The 50-70 still isn't any better than good air. You got a pretty good air cooler. You might need to move to real watercooling, like a full on quality kit if noise is a concern. It's all about physics, the H50-70 just doesn't have enough raddage to do the job.

Im thinking the case might be my best first choice for all around air flow. That will improve my temps overall comparatively.

Any suggestions on case choices? I was thinking 300 because I can get it locally and its a decent price at Best Buy.

I see people experiences with the H50 and H70 on the forums but I know the H60 is new. Anyone have experience with this new cooler yet.

I will take a peak around and see what I can dig up for a case.

Quick question about the H70, I have a Noctua which might be too big for my RAM. What kind of maintenance does the H70 require? Does the liquid inside need to be refilled every few months?

So the H70 is the successor for the H50 and the H60 is a new line in the series? It looks like I cannot mount the Noctua D-14 with my Vengeance RAM even if I put them in slots 2/4. Of the H60 and 70, which is the better one for my needs? I do very little gaming right now.

With the Q6600 in your sig I take it?

The H60 is new and I haven't read any reviews of it yet as to it's efficiency. The H70 would do you well, but I find it to be kind of pricey for it's performance.

For a couple other alternatives, you might look at a Thermalright Venomous X or TRUE Rev. C and use 2 AP-15 Gentle Typhoon fans on it. That should give you better ram to heatsink clearance than an NH-D14 and cool as good in real world usage.

For what it's worth, I'm a diehard high end air fan but I installed an H-70 On my i7-950 and replaced the stock fans at build time with scythe gentle typhoon 1850s and I'm sitting here with fans under-volted 60 percent and my system is running almost silent at 38c with photoshop,e-mail, and browser open.

The stock fans are loud. Even under-volted 50 percent.

What are you getting for temps full load with those fans. Just curious as I am still thinking I might try an H60 or H70.

It hasn't gone past 68c even in burn-in (prime) with fans wide open. Coolest system I've had so far. Stock clocks though.

The H50/60/70 do a decent job and are good in space constricted builds. They will perform about on par with high end air. If you plan to overclock, you'll need to add some high cfm fans and play with configurations but then you still won't get the quiet or true watercooling performance that they claim. If you get a decent case you could fit something like an XSPC rasa kit in there and eventually add GPU cooling as well.

Just something to think about. Read the stickies in this section if that interests you.

Quick question about the H70, I have a Noctua which might be too big for my RAM. What kind of maintenance does the H70 require? Does the liquid inside need to be refilled every few months?

H50/60/70 require absolutely zero maintenance ever. Obviously you should dust all internal components periodically, though.

I use H50 with push pull fans and works great, stock speeds am working on a oc though. I love the fact of not cleaning out the lines, flush fill that I had to do with my old system. Plus the cost is TONS cheaper.

I noticed that the H70 has two fans, can the rear fan be removed from the radiator and be placed outside of the case?

I think I am going with the H70 and going to use a fan controller on the fans so I can control total fan noise.

Back