• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low End A64 bargains to be had for the adventurous!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Detective

OK as most of you know the 1 way Opterons have migrated to socket 939 - if you check the price list for the low end Opterons namely 144 (1.8GHz) and 146 (2Ghz) and compare them to a 1.8GHz Venice and 2GHz Venice you will see they are actually cheaper and have double the L2 cache!!!!
The 144 costs $125 compared to the 3000+ Venice at $149 and the 146 costs $183 compared to the 3200+ Venice at $194!
Anyone prepared to gamble on this chips?
According to AMD the difference between the 1way Opteron and a normal A64 is that they are manufactured, tested and validated to the same specs as a 2 way or 8 way Opteron - everything else is the same (e.g. BN stepping same as San Diego)

What about overclockability of the Opterons? I have my Venice at 2.7GHz, can I push an opteron this far? I've never used an opteron before, so what are your thoughts on the maximum performance exctractable on air?

Any issues with ECC memory being mandatory? As a package (CPU+MoBo+RAM) which do you forsee as being more economical?

It no longer requires registered or ECC memory - simple unbuffered will suffice now. As to overclockability that is anyones guess. But perhaps an Opteron 148 @ 2.6GHz would be better in performance terms than a Venice at 2.7GHz?

An excellent find you've come across Detective. Here is how I see this, unless for whatever reason these are poor overclockers they're easily much better buys than any low end Venice or a 3700+ San Diego. The problem at the moment seems to be finding one where you can be sure of what you're getting. So lets take a look at some CPU codes. The only two sites I found with the updated pricing are:

http://www.nowdirect.com/direct/partDescSearch.tsb?description=SEARCH&mfg_name=AMD

OSA144CEP5AK
OSA146CEP5AK

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...ore_Code=M&Product_Code=120847&AFFIL=FRG&NR=1

OSA146CEP5AK

I know I'm lame for not decoding these myself but I've got to run to work :p Newegg isn't selling the 1 series Opterons that I could find.

Well it looks like those chips are all 1.5V AKA Clawhammers. It doesn't seem like the new San Diego are available for purchase yet. I can't find them anywhere anyway. Will the s939 San Diego Opterons be 1000 HTT parts? I'm sure they will be.

Interesting... If I wouldh ave seen this earlier I would have considered trying one of these instead of an E6 Venice.

Do they also have SSE2 and SSE3? I will buy once if that is so and test how OCable it is. I just need about 40 bucks more :).

EDIT: IF i can find a place that sells them in canada.

Edit #2: Ok found one...but they are asking 204 USD for it.

Last edited:
Im thinking on getting a 3200+ Venice in the near future but if these Opterons do better for cheaper, I guess ill have to get one of those instead.

Not to jack the thread but would a 3200+ Venice perform better than my 3400+? Itll be on water and I will OC it.

LoneWolf121188 said:
Why am I not surprised... :rolleyes:

:D

Can't wait for some results! Air and phase, if you would be so kind ;) .

Someone has to take the plunge ;)

If i can scrape together money, i'll try to grab one. Need to sell a PSU before that's possible.

Somebody point me to the Rev E form and I'll take one for the team :)

I think the Captain should lead from the front, :thup: Sucka!

Last edited:
Back