• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*** T32 Lost & Found ***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1. Are you kidding? The people here are great. I have been on the folding team for almost 3 years, and not once has one of my questions gone unanswered. We are almost like a brotherhood here. We do everything we possibly can to help eachother out.

2. I understand that there have been a few of us here that have felt the same way. From what it sounds like to me, a lot of the people have been really aggravated the way the points system has been going. If you take the members that have been folding for this team since day one, starting out at only 1 point per WU, from what I understand it was, and then a points adjustment, and having to borg 10 rigs just to maintain 1000 PPD. Then the SMP client comes out, and now a single computer can put out up to 5 times as much as 10 did just a couple years ago. I can see how this could be frustrating. It is not that one client is more important than the other, but technology is headed in a new direction, and the science needed to follow, to possibly get faster and better results.

It may not be the same as it used to be, but would you be willing to give us another shot?

I don't think he means the people and project are bad, just that they are different. When I started folding there were various different names that I haven't seen around for ages who were leading and/or part of the team (eg Ploaf, Roadwarrior, flitoxide, arkaine etc)

Hi guys,

Checking in to let you know I'm still alive. Never got set up and going again since I moved, been too busy batting away bits of falling sky with a tennis raquet ever since. Dead cars, long term sick relatives, raising their kids, fixing problems with the house ... my one machine I've got set-up is glitchy and neglected enough I can't really fold on it, haven't had time to sort just this one out. Hopefully getting some time over the next couple of months to get my old rigs set up and workshop sorted out. When everything is humming along and deglitched, I'll borg 'em again. Likely to be MIA a lot for most of this year still though.

Road Warrior

RW :) Nice to see you.

(For those that don't know, IIRC RW used to be the king of resurrecting old hardware. I'm sure he had a few K6-2s folding for Yatta back in the day)

*cough cough wheeeeeze cough* man, dusty rigs all over.

No, haven't been folding for a while, but that certainly doesn't mean I'm entirely lost.

Well... maybe I am, sorta. But I'm still waiting for the right opportunity to raise a new wave of CPU's... having had too many singel rigs here and there, was taking up too much time, and since my current position doesn't leverage my former CTO status, I'm yet to see any serious borging :D

Cheers People,

Flix

Welcome back mate :) Get your home PC(s) going and soon the addiction will take hold again ;).

Granted our biggest producers seem to be those with godlike[/] sysadmin powers.

backish

And slowly rebuilding the farm.

Welcome back :)
\
I demand a farm-building-in-progress thread complete with pics :D

I don't think he means the people and project are bad, just that they are different. When I started folding there were various different names that I haven't seen around for ages who were leading and/or part of the team (eg Ploaf, Roadwarrior, flitoxide, arkaine etc)

I think I may have posted in a way that made it sound differently than I had hoped it to. I do understand that he meant the people and the project are different. Nothing seems to stay exactly the same as time goes on. It just seems to be something inevitable.

The older names that I have heard much about, like Fishy, Wedo (may still be folding or just unchanged client.cfg files from the one click), flix, RW and many of the other leaders from the past really helped build this team. Too see the amount of points and WU's these people had put out without SMP, GPU and PS3 clients is really amazing and shows dedication that I wish we all had.

Hey guys, havent been folding for a while as most corp environments I work in wont allow it anymore. Beyond that I've grown rather power conscious in the last few years. Since I've just recently acquired a new Radeon 4850 I may put it to work for a while to test how it goes.

Great you found Silver, I can remember once upon a time we were neck and neck for months then he upgraded and pulled ahead....

Just checked my stats and I'm absolutely amazed. It would appear that I've still got some systems somewhere out there folding. Its amazing that they're still running after all this time.

Cheers.

Matty

Last edited:
Great to see you mj!!! :beer: How can I forget the wicked smiley avatar? :D

You'll love the new GPU2 Folding... much more solid than the first incarnation. Get that 4850 pumping out some WUs!!! :)

Great to see you mj!!! :beer: How can I forget the wicked smiley avatar? :D

You'll love the new GPU2 Folding... much more solid than the first incarnation. Get that 4850 pumping out some WUs!!! :)

lol, I love my evil smiley tennis ball..... For whatever reason I always thought it amusing/funny. My weird sense of humor I guess. :screwy:

Does GPU folding really perform that much better than folding on CPU alone?

Matty

lol, I love my evil smiley tennis ball..... For whatever reason I always thought it amusing/funny. My weird sense of humor I guess. :screwy:

Does GPU folding really perform that much better than folding on CPU alone?

Matty

Yep, you can get nearly 5K PPD from an 8800 GT 256M card. With some of the newest cards you can get 8K PPD.

Yep, you can get nearly 5K PPD from an 8800 GT 256M card. With some of the newest cards you can get 8K PPD.

Wicked, will do so sometime. Just have to try get my cards temps down. It always seems to be sitting at 82 degrees C...... A little worries about having it folding at those temps, if only I could find a dual slot cooler! :bang head

I will be returning soon...with my 2.9ghz c2d and a brand spankin new 8800gt! Just need to figure something out for teh interweb. :D

Found. Lost all computers in a flood. Moved out, owe someone some cash, but I'm around here somewhere. I may begin folding again once winter hits, lower bills for me that time of year.

Just a little update. I'm currently unemployed so I'm not able to fold but on a couple of machines. I've killed off the client on my machines at home but I have a couple going at my parents. If I find that my power bill doesn't drop a bit, I may start it up again anyhow. Otherwise I'll be on hiatus for a few months.

Edit: It seems to have saved me $20 total... I'm not sure it's totally worth it.

Last edited:
Hi there.

Computer's in bits an awaiting parts to get it going again, but may get back into folding once this is all sorted. It's a 3.6 Ghz single core though so i have no idea what it can do...

Our "fighting" moderator - yep, WarriorII, is back, and has asked me to post this up.

I suppose we'll have to behave ourselves, now! No?

Would you believe we'll behave ourselves Monday through Friday, then?

Would you believe we'll behave ourselves between Monday at 0500 hours through 0501 hours, because we're still sleeping?

:D :D :D

Welcome back, Warrior! :beer: :beer: :beer:

This is something I need to get back on... oh where to find the time? ;)

I second that... :welcome: back WII :attn:

I have noticed that Shiggity has been MIA lately. Both in the Folding Forum and on EOC. I think getting this going again would be a good thing. Maybe we can get some of the old team back together.

Yeah, it's been on my long term to do list for a while now... I've just got too many other things going on that I've considered asking someone else to take it over. I have a slew of old PMs from the previous rounds I've done on this... I looked at them the other day and most of those names on those PMs would qualify for a "Lost & Found" PM again.

Anyone interested in taking this over? I'll send you the list of names I've PM'd in the past. Otherwise, the big thing here is the time it takes to identify old "lost" members and then put together the PMs to those folks... in the past I've browsed EOC stats... looking for inactive names I recognized... or looked through my thread history for names I recognized. Again it can be time consuming... and I just haven't "manufactured" the time to do anything with this.

Back