• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Loop/Radiator Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

generallee989

Registered
Hello All,

Im new here and just built my first Watercooled system and am now nuts about this stuff and feel that its not enough. I was able to take my i7 870 to a 4.2GHz stable clock with only putting out 48*C under full load for 8 hours.

Now i am going to get a little extreme with this IMO. I want to do this setup all internal.

I will be using:
DD Water Box Plus
2 x Black Ice GTX Xtreme 120 Radiator (one for each loop - Push/Pull system)
1 x Koolance VID-AR697 Radeon HD6970 / HD6950 VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Rev 1.1
4 x Koolance RAM-33 Ram Liquid Block
1 x Danger Den MC-TDX Liquid Cooling Block
1 x EK ASUS P55 Series Full Board Cooling Block Kit - Acrylic
2 x Phobya Balancer 150 Reservoir
2 x Danger Den DD-CPX Pro
2 x Feser One Non Conductive Cooling Fluid (1 UV Acid Green / 1 Blood Red) or (1 UV Invisible Blue / 1 UV Pink)

Basically, I will have 2 loops. 1 will be through the 120 Rad, Reservoir, Pump, Ram, GPU.

The other through Rad, Reservoir, Pump, CPU, Chipset.

Does this sound like it will work or is it not enough radiator?

Thanks all for the input.
Edit: sorry, forgot the radiator in the loop..
Setup1.png

Last edited:
You could probably run that GPU on a single radiator but honestly large single loops are much simpler and are the favor these days. I have several recent build threads if you want to take a peek. Basically I like to recommend 2x 120 radiator space per heat source. You have a pretty hot CPU and a decently hot GPU. I would go with 2x dual 120mm radiators. But 120.3 worth of radiator would be sufficient also.

You could probably run that GPU on a single radiator but honestly large single loops are much simpler and are the favor these days. I have several recent build threads if you want to take a peek. Basically I like to recommend 2x 120 radiator space per heat source. You have a pretty hot CPU and a decently hot GPU. I would go with 2x dual 120mm radiators. But 120.3 worth of radiator would be sufficient also.

Currently I am running a Black Ice XtremeII Radiator 2 x 120 but thought I would try and split them because of the heat. Run a single 120 for high heat + low heat combo. The single loop would probably be more efficient like you said, Im just looking for the looks/performance I have visioned in my head.

I am also trying to get 2 different colors of liquid in there to mix things up a bit.

Thanks for the heads up :D

Last edited:
For the love of god, do not use colored fluid. Just use colored tubing, it looks just as good (some say better) and will not clog your blocks.

Also, what is your total planned raddage between the loops? is it 120.2+2*120.1, or just 2*120.1?

Oh also, why are you using that pump for a high restriction loop?

Oh, also, why are you trying to cool your ram? You know DDR3 generates less than no heat, right?

I think you need to take a step back, scrap your whole plan, do some reading (if you haven't read the sticky, it's a fantastic place to start), and then repick parts.

For the love of god, do not use colored fluid. Just use colored tubing, it looks just as good (some say better) and will not clog your blocks.

1. I prefer to use colored water becuase I will have to opportunity to switch colors around as desired(looks factor). I understand that its more maintenance but thats fine. Im the type of person that usually installs a fresh copy of windows about every 6 months anyways.[/QUOTE]

Also, what is your total planned raddage between the loops? is it 120.2+2*120.1, or just 2*120.1?

2.I will only by using 2*120.1.. 1 for the CPU/chipset and 1 for the GPU/RAM. I have been even looking at adding 2*80.1 to the loop for a little extra cooling(Remember, I am TRYING to fit this all in the case but considering a few minor changes).

Oh also, why are you using that pump for a high restriction loop?

3. Im using this pump because it matches the one I currently have. It is pretty quiet, great GPM and has room for expansion. But this is why I'm posting on the forums... Im asking for advice on parts.

Oh, also, why are you trying to cool your ram? You know DDR3 generates less than no heat, right?

4. I understand RAM doesnt generate much heat... I work with computers every day at Intel. I simply am adding RAM sinks for looks factor... If I have the cash and like how it looks, why not??

I think you need to take a step back, scrap your whole plan, do some reading (if you haven't read the sticky, it's a fantastic place to start), and then repick parts.

5. I read the sticky. One problem I have though is I am more of an hands on trial and error type of learner. The sticky has great info and with the knowledge I have, I feel it might work as I vision in my head.

So if I add 2 80.1 Rads to the loop it will look like this. Apologies, I forgot the Rads in the loop picture. Should I have the Radiators before or after the pump? I have seen both ways.

Setup2.png

Looks like too little raddage too me, but then again I used a 4x120 for just my i7 920 :)

Thats what im afraid of. I dont plan on really OC'ing much as this is really fast enough. The only major difference you will see with OC'n the CPU is with stuff like movie format conversions and such. Games dont really need all that. and even an OC'd system still isnt going to make a huge difference. at least from my experience.

Can you cool a CPU with a 120.1 YES you can but you are going to need high speed fans to be any better than plain old air cooling. The same goes for your GPU. 80mm radiators are sooo old.....

What case are you trying to fit this in? Were trying to help but honestly without alot more information we aswell as you are just taking shots in the dark.
IMO its going to be easier to install 2 larger radiators rather than fiddle with so many little(and old, poorly designed) radiators.

Can you cool a CPU with a 120.1 YES you can but you are going to need high speed fans to be any better than plain old air cooling. The same goes for your GPU. 80mm radiators are sooo old.....

What case are you trying to fit this in? Were trying to help but honestly without alot more information we aswell as you are just taking shots in the dark.
IMO its going to be easier to install 2 larger radiators rather than fiddle with so many little(and old, poorly designed) radiators.

Hmm, I am trying to get this into a DD Water Box Plus. Its pretty cramped as it is right now. I dont want to mount anything on the outside but I might end up doing so.

So radiator wise, dont the GTX 120's provide a little better cooling then most other 120's or am I mistaken? What is the best 120 rad out there?

The real question is do you already have this case?

1. I prefer to use colored water becuase I will have to opportunity to switch colors around as desired(looks factor). I understand that its more maintenance but thats fine. Im the type of person that usually installs a fresh copy of windows about every 6 months anyways.

Long as you're aware of the risks and what not. If you're going to use any dyes, use mayhems dyes, not Fester. They look better and they're less likely to break down (and mayhem is straight with the community about exactly what the dyes do and don't do...which goes a long way in my book)

2.I will only by using 2*120.1.. 1 for the CPU/chipset and 1 for the GPU/RAM. I have been even looking at adding 2*80.1 to the loop for a little extra cooling(Remember, I am TRYING to fit this all in the case but considering a few minor changes).

as far as I'm concerned, this is much too little.

3. Im using this pump because it matches the one I currently have. It is pretty quiet, great GPM and has room for expansion. But this is why I'm posting on the forums... Im asking for advice on parts.

check out skinnee's review of that vs the ddc and d5 flavors. The choice is pretty clear to me

4. I understand RAM doesnt generate much heat... I work with computers every day at Intel. I simply am adding RAM sinks for looks factor... If I have the cash and like how it looks, why not??

What do you do at Intel, if you don't mind my asking?

The primary reason not to is that most every ram block out there is highly restrictive. If you wanna do it for looks without a significant flow hit, check out MIPS blocks.

5. I read the sticky. One problem I have though is I am more of an hands on trial and error type of learner. The sticky has great info and with the knowledge I have, I feel it might work as I vision in my head.

What sorta stuff in there are you not sure on? We can pretty well explain every last point in there and why it is the way it is :)

Long as you're aware of the risks and what not. If you're going to use any dyes, use mayhems dyes, not Fester. They look better and they're less likely to break down (and mayhem is straight with the community about exactly what the dyes do and don't do...which goes a long way in my book)

as far as I'm concerned, this is much too little.

check out skinnee's review of that vs the ddc and d5 flavors. The choice is pretty clear to me

What do you do at Intel, if you don't mind my asking?

The primary reason not to is that most every ram block out there is highly restrictive. If you wanna do it for looks without a significant flow hit, check out MIPS blocks.

What sorta stuff in there are you not sure on? We can pretty well explain every last point in there and why it is the way it is :)

Hi m0r7if3r,

Sorry about the delayed response, Ive been busy but read this the other day.

Mayhem has some really cool looking liquids... especially the Aurora series. Too bad its only really good for looks :( Im not sure where to buy them in the US as the seem to be out of the UK :confused:

I did take your advice on the radiators though, and I thank you for that. Im going to run 2 x 240's (2 x 120.2) just to be safe and mount one on the backside of the case.

Im not too sure where Skinnee's review is exactly :cry:

For the past 2 years, I have been building employee spacific systems to their spec, onboard video testing of future boards, Initial "power-on" tests(get to see new boards and make sure they work before we send them out for testing), and BOIS testing/chip replacement. Two weeks ago, I transfered to a new department where I am creating Runtimes for the new Medfield cell phone.... Its pretty damn sweet too. we have a few that are fully functional and a few guys walking around using them. :D

On the RAM blocks, Im going to take your advice on that too. How do you feel about Y splitters? I was thinking I really love the look of the RAM-33 blocks... Can I possibly put a Y fitting in the line before it hits the CPU and run it to the ram without hindering the flow of the CPU? I would still get some fluid to the RAM but with its restrictions, it would allow the fluid to travel mostly to the CPU I believe. I might just take it out completely though.

I viewed the DDC and D5 charts and understand them a little but Im confused, am I getting it right that a DDC with a top reservoir is better then a separate pump/reservoir? Also, are pressure release valves good to have?

Thanks

Last edited:
Thats correct about the DDC pumps. The thing to take note of with those charts is that the added pressure generated by the DDC variants actually overcomes the higher flow rate of the D5 series in high restriction situations. Given the highly restrictive nature of most cooling blocks its pretty easy to say that the DDC variants are superior to the D5's.

Thats correct about the DDC pumps. The thing to take note of with those charts is that the added pressure generated by the DDC variants actually overcomes the higher flow rate of the D5 series in high restriction situations. Given the highly restrictive nature of most cooling blocks its pretty easy to say that the DDC variants are superior to the D5's.

Some might argue that the d5's have a better noise profile, which is why I usually ask people if they have a reason rather than insisting that the ddc is better :)

OP: http://www.skinneelabs.com, behold it in all its glory.

IC, I actually just got my first DDC up and running. I have to say that it does have a noticeable hum to it(note I am referring to a DDC-1T). If the 655 indeed has a better noise profile it could make a difference in some builds which are extremely noise oriented.
However, in a purely performance oriented evaluation Im sure you agree that the DDC is the better pump. Not to mention the smaller footprint.

IC, I actually just got my first DDC up and running. I have to say that it does have a noticeable hum to it(note I am referring to a DDC-1T). If the 655 indeed has a better noise profile it could make a difference in some builds which are extremely noise oriented.
However, in a purely performance oriented evaluation Im sure you agree that the DDC is the better pump. Not to mention the smaller footprint.

No doubt...personally I can't hear my 35X because of the ambient noise from my fans and also because I don't have it mounted, just suspended from the tubes that connect to it...I really think it's the best way to mount them (noisewise)

Mine is connected to an XSPC dual bay res+top. I actually am using 1 ch on my rheosmart to dial it down a touch. I find even a very very small adjustment down from 12v decreases the noise profile significantly. The 35x is im sure quite a bit quieter in general and the PWM control helps that and heating even more.

On the RAM blocks, Im going to take your advice on that too. How do you feel about Y splitters? I was thinking I really love the look of the RAM-33 blocks... Can I possibly put a Y fitting in the line before it hits the CPU and run it to the ram without hindering the flow of the CPU? I would still get some fluid to the RAM but with its restrictions, it would allow the fluid to travel mostly to the CPU I believe. I might just take it out completely though.

I viewed the DDC and D5 charts and understand them a little but Im confused, am I getting it right that a DDC with a top reservoir is better then a separate pump/reservoir? Also, are pressure release valves good to have?

Thanks

I don't think that splitting it is a good idea...I can't say it wouldn't work, but it adds an element of unpredictability to the whole thing.

Not sure why you would need a pressure release valve

Back