• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Get a new mobo or just a better Graphics card/GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

civicexcoupeman

Registered
I didn't know where to put this so I put it here. Anyways heres my question:
I currently have a
Asus m2n-sli deluxe that has 2 PCI-E x16 (1.0) slots and I have a single Nvidia gts 250 1GB in their right now. My dilemma comes here is that I have my cpu over clocked to an amazing value and its extremely stable and I'm very satisfied with my setup just the PCI-E 1.0 creates a small con to my setup. So I dunno if its worth it for me to upgrade to another motherboard that supports over clocking such as another ASUS motherboard which will give me more expandability in the future such as faster ram, Higher max amount of ram, and PCI-E 2.0 . Or just get another better graphics card such as the 260 GTX and keep my current setup since I'm VERY satisfied with it besides the graphics..

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Well, upgrading to an x16 slot would definitely make your GPU more efficient. I dunno really. I think either way you would get a good boost in performance, it just depends what you want to upgrade first, seeing as both will need to be upped eventually.

I would personally go with a better GPU now. The 16x 1.0 slot won't hurt anything noticeably even a 5870 so it will give the best boost. a now motherboard might help in the long run but for now I'd go with a gpu witch will go with watever you decide to upgrad later.

Well, upgrading to an x16 slot would definitely make your GPU more efficient. I dunno really. I think either way you would get a good boost in performance, it just depends what you want to upgrade first, seeing as both will need to be upped eventually.
He will not get a performance jump with going to a pcie2.0 slot...

OP - Get a better GPU, like 4870 or gtx 260 216 like was suggested on your current mobo until you can afford a more significant and worthwhile upgrade.

Or pick a cheap gts 250 and sli. Key word "cheap"..

I own a gts250 1gb...

And for sli on my board will run at x8

not worth it imo

slow as balls
2 x PCI Express x16 slot at x16, x8 speed
Support NVIDIA®SLI™ technology (both at x8 mode)

Im debating the gtx 260, 4870, 4890,5830 ...but in reality my question was either keep this motherboard since I Love how my cpu overclocked and im happy with it vs new motherboard and have pci-e 2.0

Last edited:
I own a gts250 1gb...

And for sli on my board will run at x8

not worth it imo

slow as balls
2 x PCI Express x16 slot at x16, x8 speed
Support NVIDIA®SLI™ technology (both at x8 mode)

Im debating the gtx 260, 4870, 4890,5830 ...but in reality my question was either keep this motherboard since I Love how my cpu overclocked and im happy with it vs new motherboard and have pci-e 2.0
If you choose SLI, you will likely not have much if any performance loss b/c of the slot... THose cards arent blazing on their own so a 8x 1.1 slot is likely fine.

Back