• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my eVGA 8800GS - Results w/ E8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

This is with stock cooling, no volt-mods... right out of the box.

E8400 @ 3.9:
E8400.JPG

Stock speeds of 550/1375/800

3DMark2005:
Stock05.JPG

3DMark2006:
Stock06.JPG

Overclocked speeds of 730/1782/1070

3DMark2005:
OC05.JPG

3DMark2006:
OC06.JPG

I'm pretty happy, all for $110 shipped AR. I'm pretty amazed by the memory OC, it'll go up to 1080/2160 with no artifacts whatsoever, maybe even a tad higher. eVGA definitely seems to be the brand to go with for the 8800GS, the XFX's memory doesn't OC anywhere near as well. The eVGAs have 1.0ns chips. My 20" LCD has a resolution of 1400x1050, so this is a great choice for lower-res gaming (1680x1050 and below). If I upgrade my monitor I'll likely upgrade my video card also (wouldn't be very soon, at least after the next gen cards are released). For the time being, with the cost and performance, it's hard to beat.

Also, keep in mind this is with a dual core processor. If I had a quad core, I would easily break 13k in 3DM06. I also could up my E8400 to about 4.4 or so, but I don't really care about the numbers and just kept it at my 24/7 speed.

Right.... :rolleyes:

I'd like to see you find a $100 card a year ago which would do even 6k in 3dmark2006.

The 8800GS is an amazing card for the price. Period.

lol 200 bucks wouldnt even get you these kinda scores a year ago. takes my 500 dollar 8800gts 640 to grab 11k and i got that 1.5 yrs ago.

Im personally not a big fan of 3Dmark. Its very CPU intensive. The only reason the scores are so high are because of that E8400. The games is what you'll play on it in the end. Not 3Dmark. And that is where the huge difference will come surely. But still its not that bad for the price.

Im personally not a big fan of 3Dmark. Its very CPU intensive. The only reason the scores are so high are because of that E8400. The games is what you'll play on it in the end. Not 3Dmark. And that is where the huge difference will come surely. But still its not that bad for the price.
Of which one? If you look at his 06 scores, you will see his CPU score is far under his 3D score.

Pretty much every score.

How would you explain my 8800GT, core 2 duo E6550, 3gb RAM scoring 11k in 3DMark06?!?!? CPU bottleneck!! So yeah, although these scores might seem impressive, they will not directly give you an idea of how well the games will perform.

I dont know what you're talking about. My E6550 or the E8400, both stock. But all im saying is that 3DMark06 is not the way to go when you are testing your GPU, or even CPU. Since the results in the games are what matters, and its not a good measuring stick as to how the games will perform. Thats all.

Thank you! :)

It really is a heck of a card for $100 if you look back 6-12 months ago in comparison. It apparently can hang with G80 GTS's, at least in 3DMark but I'd like to see a quick run-through of something with AF or AA enabled. FEAR has an easy to use built-in benchmark. The biggest hindrance on this card is the memory bus, otherwise it has equivalent shader power to the G80 GTS's and just lacks some ROPs or TMUs otherwise I believe, plus less memory.

NV really has a card every ~$40 or so, it makes a decision tough because it's enough of an increase to give slight pause but not a large enough amount to dismiss the next step easily.

I dont know what you're talking about. My E6550 or the E8400, both stock. But all im saying is that 3DMark06 is not the way to go when you are testing your GPU, or even CPU. Since the results in the games are what matters, and its not a good measuring stick as to how the games will perform. Thats all.

Thank you! :)
At default settings, I can completely agree :)

If you have the full version, you can run it at your native resolution, then it moves heavily onto the GPU :beer:

Ok...never had the full version so didnt know that.

My 8800GT SLI works very slow @ 1920x1080 (1080i) on my TV using S-Video to the RGB adapter that ships with the card. Any idea why? And I mean just the Vista Aero effects.

Ok...never had the full version so didnt know that.

My 8800GT SLI works very slow @ 1920x1080 (1080i) on my TV using S-Video to the RGB adapter that ships with the card. Any idea why? And I mean just the Vista Aero effects.

i think it would be best to start ur own thread on this so this thread does not get jacked.
your answers will come a lot faster too.

Back