• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New 8800GTS 640 is still a G80 core...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lordkosc

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/13494

The revised 8800 GTS 640MB cards are, in fact, based on the G80 GPU, and they simply have an additional SP cluster enabled internally, giving them 112 SPs and a little more texturing capacity. Because they're based on the G80, these cards do not have the VP2 decoding engine, doubled texture addressing capability, or power consumption improvements found in the G92 and the GeForce 8800 GT.

:bang head

Looks like limited revised goodness.....

yes my assumptions are that this slight revision is to get rid of excess G80 cores... and then come out with a total refresh of a 8800gts 640 with the g92 core.

also lets just hope its a bios flash to get the extra 16sp's... then all of us people with an original gts will be happy!

I am surprised that you guys did not see this article from Anandtech:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9474

Since it comes from Anandtech, a major tech review website, the info has to have some credibility!

At least, that is my opinion.

If there will indeed be a Revision 2 of the 8800GTS 640MB based on the G92 core, I would be a very, very happy camper, because I have one a la EVGA. I have until the end of this December to step up.

Currently, with the 8800GTS 640MB, Crysis SP demo suffers. I only get about 20 fps with everything on high. With everything on medium, I get about 35 to 40 fps.

Also, slightly OT, when I run Crysis's built-in GPU and CPU Time Demo, Cryengine crashes after four runs at the end of the test. The error message says that the system cannot find the specified file, or something to that effect.

Both the GPU and CPU time demo have crashed at the end of the test. Googled, but did not find any answer.

yeah if the revised cards were G92's they would only have 256bit busses, which would mean 256, 512 or 1gb of ram. So if it has 640mb ram, i can't be a g92 core

yeah if the revised cards were G92's they would only have 256bit busses, which would mean 256, 512 or 1gb of ram. So if it has 640mb ram, i can't be a g92 core

That's my thinking as well. If they come out w/ another GTS based on G92 I think it will be 256 or 512-bit bus. I wouldn't think it would be capable or designed to support 320-bit as well.

However, the G80 can do 320-bit and 384-bit, so I'm not exactly sure.

Possible scenerio for G92 based gfx cards (just guessing):

GT 256-bit bus, 256, 512, 1024MB RAM, 112SP
GTS 256-bit bus, 512, 1024MB RAM, 128SP
GTX 512-bit bus, 1024MB RAM, 128+SP

Since it comes from Anandtech, a major tech review website, the info has to have some credibility!

If there will indeed be a Revision 2 of the 8800GTS 640MB based on the G92 core, I would be a very, very happy camper, because I have one a la EVGA. I have until the end of this December to step up.

Currently, with the 8800GTS 640MB, Crysis SP demo suffers. I only get about 20 fps with everything on high. With everything on medium, I get about 35 to 40 fps.

Also, slightly OT, when I run Crysis's built-in GPU and CPU Time Demo, Cryengine crashes after four runs at the end of the test. The error message says that the system cannot find the specified file, or something to that effect.

Both the GPU and CPU time demo have crashed at the end of the test. Googled, but did not find any answer.

I think you'll be in good shape considering you have till the end of December. You can always step-up to the "new" G80 based GTS if you have to. 16SP for free isn't a bad deal. I think nVidia has more up their sleeves, though, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I get better fps than you in Crysis w/ my 320, but I also run at 1280x1024 on my CRT. You are kind of stuck w/ a higher resolution b/c of your LCD monitor. I can run w/ most things on high, rest on medium w/ no AA and get decent fps (40ish).

I have the same issue w/ the CPU/GPU tests. Says it can't find the file. Let me know if you find an answer please, and I'll do the same for you.

:beer:

Is the gpu and cup time demo on the crysis sp demo... how do i run it id like to see what i can get with my system.

Go into the bin32 or bin64 folder where the crysis.exe file is. There are 2 batch files; 1 labeled CPU_Benchmark, and the other labeled GPU_Benchmark.

Link to a preliminary review of the "new" G80 based 8800GTS 640MB w/ 112SP's at hardwarecanucks.

Edit: Another link stating that this "new" G80 based GTS will be short-lived. G92 based GTS will be coming soon w/ standard 512/1024 configurations & 128SP's.

Last edited:
So Would it be wise to get the 8800gt or the Newer 8800gts when they come out???

Well, it looks like you haven't purchased a gfx card yet, correct?

If this is the case then I would say you should wait and see. Normally it's best to just get whatever's best at the time you want it, but considering that ATI is about to bring out some things, and nVidia may answer back w/ even more horsepower it is a very good time to wait.

Black Friday may be a good time to get something for someone in your shoes. By then reviews will be out on the newer offerings, and some bargains should be available.

Link to a preliminary review of the "new" G80 based 8800GTS 640MB w/ 112SP's at hardwarecanucks.

Edit: Another link stating that this "new" G80 based GTS will be short-lived. G92 based GTS will be coming soon w/ standard 512/1024 configurations & 128SP's.

my thoughts look like they are true... imean think bout it ... why would you buy an old 8800gts 640 when the 8800gt is better for less... so this way they are bringing it closer to the 8800gt so it will sell off all the old g80 cores... then they will do a refresh with the g92's

ooo a gts with 512bit memory... and maybe 512/768/1024mb of memory... ohh god

as for buying a gfx card right now... is NOT the time to buy... give it a month or so to see the new stuff comming out

If you're always waiting a month...you'll never get anything.

I say if your video card is 2 generations behind or 1 generation and not cutting it for you...then upgrade.

If you're always waiting a month...you'll never get anything.

I say if your video card is 2 generations behind or 1 generation and not cutting it for you...then upgrade.

well yes this is true... but when you know that ati is comming out with new stuff on the 17th (i think) and nvidia is going to release mostlikly a 8800gts with a g92 core here before xmas why buy now... wait till xmas

My pure speculation based on the first product pictures and speed specs was right, it's G80-based. I just have to pat my own back for that :) Obviously they're clearing out G80 cores.

The new GTS will be very nice if it ups the memory bus width over the GT. I'm thinking of how NV would do that architecturally on the same core but they've been tighter with the G92 core breakdown than they were with G80. They've either added SPs to each SP-unit and that's how the GT has a higher SP:bus width ratio or they can add memory paths to the crossbar mem controller independently of the SP-units unlike G80 which had set ratios of SP-unit to memory bandwidth. The easiest thing to do would be to add additional SPs to each SP-unit so that for example, 6 G92 SP-units = 7 G80 SP-units in terms of total shaders.

If it doesn't add memory bandwidth it will be an odd GPU, having excess shader power for the memory bandwidth won't help it in memory-intensive and -limited AA/AF situations. Perhaps newer games will be able to use the shader power for things that aren't affected by the memory bandwidth but that still doesn't help it do AA/AF better and that would be nice as well. It will be a killer card if it does have a 320-bit or higher bus though.

Also I've got to think the GTX refresh will be on a new core, I can't see them spanning the same GPU from the GT to the GTX/Ultra that wouldn't be cost-effective even on 65nm.

So Would it be wise to get the 8800gt or the Newer 8800gts when they come out???

Either sell off your old GTS asap if you can suffer without a card or a backup card for a few weeks. Get a GT soon but make sure you get a good price on it, that way if you feel a new GTS would be good you won't lose much or could possibly break even on the GT.

If you can't deal with not having a good card in the meantime and you need high-ish AA/AF at over 1600x1200 you may just have to wait til the G92 GTS. The G80 112SP GTS is not a very good buy imo unless it hits ~$300 but GT prices should be ~$220 at that point after all the new-ness price hiking wears off and by that time the G92 GTS may be imminent.

Could always get an EVGA 8800GT now, then upgrade to the new GTS if they're worth anything (and, if it's within the EVGA 90-day limit...)

Back