• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aftermarket coolers for the 8800gt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hypertek

so what coolers are out or fit this card?
Ive read that the thermaltake v2 works..

so is it important to put cooling on those diodes and smaller resistors near the power area?

i was gonna remove the nv silencer 5 from my 7900gt onto this one, i even took it off and looked like it would work, but i was worried about the vrem chips needing cooling and didnt think about a solution for em, so i left the nv5 on the 7900 and handed it over to my friend for $100 in I.O.U money :)

but reading other threads, i guess anything that mounts to a 7900 may fit the 8800.. so i might go wiht the nd1

hmm debating if i would have enough comfortable room for that in my rig.. i know you can mount it the opposite way from what they picture it mounted and all...

or i could jus go with a gpu waterblock and throw it into my loop... hmm

there is no official cooler for the 8800gt yet, although many work but without cooling all the proper areas of the board

I posted in another thread somewhere that I bought this cooler , I installed it an hour ago (took about 20 minutes) and this cooler has blown me away.
I know it's kinda pricey but the performance is not bad at all.

Card - eVGA 8800 GT Superclocked

On stock: (650/1900/620)

load, auto fan......GPU temp 90 C :mad:
idle, auto fan.......GPU temp 59 C

load, 75 % fan......GPU temp 74 C (Fan just short of whining)
idle, 75 % fan.......GPU temp 54 C

load, 100% fan......GPU temp 68 C (Fan sound like a jet turbine)
idle, 100% fan.......GPU temp 51 C

Zerotherm Cooler and OC to > SSC specs (750/2000/1728)

load, fan on auto.......GPU 55 C
idle, fan on auto........GPU 34 C

Fan is super quiet, my 3 case fans are 3 times noisier...

I use EXPERTool to set speeds and monitor temps, I also used rthdribl to load GPU.

Last edited:
Heheh nice overclocks, can you control the speed of the fan via software as well?

Ouch man your GPU ran warm. Was that including a reseating of the stock cooler as well?

hmm my 8800gt loads about 59-60c while playing crysis for about 2 hours

im still going to pick up a hr-03gt when it comes out :D

Heheh nice overclocks, can you control the speed of the fan via software as well?

No, it comes with a manual little speed regulator, I just leave it on max as you can hardly hear the fan running.

deathman said:
Ouch man your GPU ran warm. Was that including a reseating of the stock cooler as well?

I just took the stock cooler off and replaced it with the Zerotherm cooler, I did notice the paste on the core chip was not evenly distributed, could be cause of the high temps, who knows, I'm keeping the Zerotherm on for now untill I can put water on it

hmm .. without the shroud, wouldnt that affect its design efficiency?

Got a MCW60 block on mine with EnzoTech ramsinks, but they just don't want to stick on the mosfets on the right side of the card. I'll have to buy better sticking ramsinks or get some better thermal tape.

Try some AS5/C or MX-2 and a two tiny dabs of super-glue in the corners.

If you are doing ramchips yes, 2 TINY dabs of superglue work.

On the mosfets...you probably want to use the smallest dot of superglue you can muster for each of the parts. I had a ton of trouble getting mine off when I superglued them, but I believe I used too much glue in the first place.

i gave my volt modded 7900gt with nv5 to a friend for $100..
l_38f3f45315cb89bbce6f5e80a2181265.jpg

well due to the size of the cooler on it, he had to remove the sb live i gave him and is rocking onboard sound, and also had to downclock his system cuz his power supply isnt suffiecient enough, i might see if i can grab the cooler off it and de-mod the card and put the stock hs back on it if he doesnt mind....

so i may throw it on, but also im thinking about throwing a waterblock on it

Back