• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom 2 X2 550BE and 250

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That explains it. I'm not sure I'd want to put that much voltage into it 24/7 ... ;)

Yeah that was something that caught my eye but I haven't read anything about AMD's 45nm process 24/7 voltages. Xbitlabs does tend to be willing to crank the voltage for oc'ing in their past reviews. Nonetheless it seems good for everyone that these are likely going to be competitive with Intel 45nm CPUs.

Yeah that was something that caught my eye but I haven't read anything about AMD's 45nm process 24/7 voltages. Xbitlabs does tend to be willing to crank the voltage for oc'ing in their past reviews. Nonetheless it seems good for everyone that these are likely going to be competitive with Intel 45nm CPUs.

AMD spec's 45nm to run @1.55v max i have run mine for months at a time with 1.65v and water cooling (945ES) and it had no ill effects

And it might run that way for 3-4 years - or it may die next year, who knows? But as you can see in my sig I tend to keep rigs around for awhile so I'm a little leery about shoving too much into them. Eh, if I'm wrong or over-cautious it's my loss and I'm willing to take it. Call it an insurance policy of sorts. I expect rigs to run at load at least 30,000 hours virtually non-stop so I'm a little more careful than most. :)

Not that I'm saying anything against anybody else - it's your money, do what you want with it. If you can't have fun with it then what good is it ...??? :D

AMD spec's 45nm to run @1.55v max i have run mine for months at a time with 1.65v and water cooling (945ES) and it had no ill effects

I ran my 2400+ on chilled water 24/7 seti well overclocked as the cooling could take it and all seemed fine for a year when I start to fail rapidly, eventually it wasn't even able to do stock clocks anymore.

But as you can see in my sig I tend to keep rigs around for awhile so I'm a little leery about shoving too much into them.

Well the 939 cpus were epic. I bet if one had to choose the favourite rig of all time it would come out on top.
Went barton > Wilmatte > half a dozen Prescott > 754 > 939 the year those came out. The latter two were not even in the same league. Was a real pity I had mine only for weeks till I moved to UK for my masters.

If I had mine I bet I would have gone opty with it and use it until bulldozer / sandy and stroke it every day telling myself how much money it saved me. That would be 8-9 years on one rig. :eek: Legendary...

Seeing Propus delayed so much along with what two NDA guys are currently saying about Regor, I'm beginning to doubt Propus/Regor are made using a new mask as early rumors pointed out. The die sizes were all community conjectures, even Hans' drawings. It looks like a salvaged Deneb that they are waiting for enough volume to ship as well as when it's financially appropriate for them in terms of maximizing current ASP.

As I pointed out here, there are some inconsistencies. We'll know soon. :beer:

If indeed it is the same Deneb die, then 1/3 the price for 1/3 the functionality of their full die is just stabbing yourself. That is unless they do have poor yields and also unless they plan on shorting supply of these Regor chips as well as limiting them to certain newer MBs to restrict their sales. They should by now understand how attractive such chips really will be in the consumer market. They can just take a look at sales volume numbers of the very stricken K8 X2 chips over the past year to get a feel, and add some.

Kuroimaho: AMD officially advised 1.65v as the max safe on 45nm chips, to run daily, if using supreme watercooling, preferably chilled. The important aspect is temps. Air max was given as 1.55v and 1.85v was then told as LN² max. All officially seeded Deneb reviewers holding NDA docs were encouraged to try this much and to be able to advise this if needed.
Although your point should still stand as a useful deterrence to avoid high volts as much as you can (for daily operation). I ended up severely degrading a 65nm K8, 3x K10 65nm, C2Q 65nm and C2D 45nm last year by overvolting near to their limits, within weeks of daily loaded use. Ara ara!

Kuroimaho: AMD officially advised 1.65v as the max safe on 45nm chips, to run daily, if using supreme watercooling, preferably chilled. The important aspect is temps. Air max was given as 1.55v and 1.85v was then told as LN² max. All officially seeded Deneb reviewers holding NDA docs were encouraged to try this much and to be able to advise this if needed.
Although your point should still stand as a useful deterrence to avoid high volts as much as you can (for daily operation). I ended up severely degrading a 65nm K8, 3x K10 65nm, C2Q 65nm and C2D 45nm last year by overvolting near to their limits, within weeks of daily loaded use. Ara ara!
Well that makes a big difference! Looks like I'll be really cranking up that 940BE once it's under water ... :)

And it might run that way for 3-4 years - or it may die next year, who knows? But as you can see in my sig I tend to keep rigs around for awhile so I'm a little leery about shoving too much into them. Eh, if I'm wrong or over-cautious it's my loss and I'm willing to take it. Call it an insurance policy of sorts. I expect rigs to run at load at least 30,000 hours virtually non-stop so I'm a little more careful than most. :)

Not that I'm saying anything against anybody else - it's your money, do what you want with it. If you can't have fun with it then what good is it ...??? :D

i swap chips quite often thanks to AMD and a couple other people so i guess its not as big to me but the only chip i have actually had die on me was a retail 720BE that i pushed 3.5v through the vdimm chip lasted 3hrs and didn't post again.

Only CPU I have had die on me due to voltage was a Q6600. Tried real hard to hit 500FSB on that thing. *sigh

I agree with Kuro about 939 being favorite setup though. My single core 3200, 2GB of Geil running 2-2-2-5 at 250MHz, *sigh, that was one peppy little setup. I do not reember my max clocks on that chip unfortunately 2.8 sounds right, but that might be a little high...

These new chips certainly look interesting, AMD is really making strides again lately and I am glad to see it, I am real happy with my current setup though so I think I might actually make it 6 months without upgrading :eek: (Technically I have had my rig almost that long already, but was not complete till last month, waited on PSU so I could crossfire the 4850s).

Xbit Labs conceded that the information they propagated about Regor was false, unconfirmed and simply based on nothing from AMD but some phony gibberish. They've retracted that the information they posted was wrong and that the Athlon II X2 is indeed a new native dual-core die, not like the Phenom II X2. Check the comments (expand threads): http://xbitlabs.com/discussion/5528.html

Which makes my interest in Regor spark back but also has messed their credibility. These guys were posting without having any real info to get early hits and without NPRP NDA info from AMD which all seeded reviewers get... in the reviewers credibility factor, that gets a -10 for spreading FUD. That also means their review CPUs are highly likely not supplied by AMD. Let's see what they have to say in their article by next week.

QuietIce: like I mentioned, highest-end WC and DICE has those limits for people who want to tread within the known safe guidelines. Regular WC or in hot ambients will have lower volt limits. Everyone I personally know that OC'd a Deneb tried this much being the first to move over to it before giving their opinion on how well it OC's. AMD's 45nm and 65nm process have the same voltage limitations.

Xbit Labs conceded that the information they propagated about Regor was false, unconfirmed and simply based on nothing from AMD but some phony gibberish. They've retracted that the information they posted was wrong and that the Athlon II X2 is indeed a new native dual-core die, not like the Phenom II X2. Check the comments (expand threads): http://xbitlabs.com/discussion/5528.html

So they did concede :eh?: :thup: . I wonder who on the team was intelligent enough to get the theory of adding L2's together.

I am sad X2 250 is not BE, which might make clocking on 785G/SB710 a bit more difficult. And Fud says the price tag will be $87, a tad higher , given the fact that X2 550 BE is for $102. I hope it will wear down quickly to sub-$70 levels like its Kuma brethren. Power consumption will also be a focus area, I wonder if it can be good for a mini-ITX HTPC.

Not sure about USD price but I know the UK price touted by a major distributor is 2 pounds less than the current Kuma X2 7750 price for that Regor. I hope it does launch for that little. They don't have any Callisto in stock to say and the ordering database reads availability as "unknown".

Yep, Regor is definitely a new design. It looks almost definite that I'll be replacing my 3 week old Kuma with it (within a mATX MB, micro case).

It's rated at 65W TDP but you'll be able to use tools like AOD/KStats to tweak MSRs and drop power if required. I just hope it undervolts well since I need it to fit within an all passive, small, crowded system. The K8 Brisbane could run fine passively upto ~40W being a 118m sq. die, so in terms of cooling, if it can fit <40W, it'll work fine.

IMO these CPU's are going to be the absolute kings of budget gaming boxes. With these babies and 4gb ddr2, you can build smoking fast budget gaming boxes for practically free.

I mean, already you can do a gaming box for stupid cheap with say an X3 720 BE, but with X2's the power reqs will be low enough to use any cheaper AM2+ board that doesn't support the power reqs of the X3/x4's.

I of course would not use them with anything but a 790*/sb750 mobo, but I expect to see some killer combo deals on newegg shortly after release.

The third and fourth cores still aren't used much if at all in games, and for regular desktop work a 3-3.2ghz dual core runs everything more than fine. I also expect the little bit***s to fly to/near 4ghz quite easily.

When you think about it 3-4 3+ghz cpu's is really massive overkill for 99% of what normal people use their pc's for. I love mine so much tho, however I anticipate going thru these P2 X2's like mad for customer builds. I have been telling everyone
"real soon new amd dual cores are coming out that are going to be stupid cheap and smoking fast". Totally true considering most of these people are still using old single core P4's and A64/32's with 1/2-1gb ram. Rarely do I even see custies with anything as good as a c2d.

IMO intel should have dropped c2d prices to around 100 bucks awhile ago. I hope very much amd gets a slew of business from people and OEMs who would have bought a reasonably priced top end c2d for budget machines awhile ago.
I mean compared to what amd offers for the price, or what i7 offers for the price, Core2Duo's and Quad's are insanely overpriced. The better C2Q's with lots of cache still cost more than the flagship 955BE, which is a MUCH more impressive item to buy right now than an old c2q (new socket that will be in use for like 2 years or more, and ddr2+3 support, + unlocked multi and cheap mobo's; versus old fsb style sys bus, outdated socket never to be used for anything new again, higher latency northbridge mem controller, oh and not even a true quad core). People still buying em are either folding or losing out on more for their money with an i7 or Phenom 2.
Don't get me wrong C2Q's hold their own against P2, only the new 955 can really be said to be faster than the C2Q's, but you get a lot more future expandability/upgradability with a new P2 than a near extinction core2q. What happens down the road when say USB3 or some other new tech hits? Not going to be getting new core2 chipsets and mobos.
C2Duos still have their place, as until the P2 X2's come out AMD has nothing that can compete with them in the dual core category. X2 P2's look to be faster than the C2's and will be way cheaper.

Last edited:
From the performance I've seen (not in any public link yet), the Regor 250 sits around the C2D E6750. Sometimes above, sometimes below, sometimes equal. Power however seems to be very low. Forget the TDP numbers. It's lower than my 4850e by a good margin, at least under any real workload.

I was kinda disappointed regard to Athlon x2 250 performance vs. Phenom II 550BE considering that there was a 1 MB L2 cache vs. 512 kb. I suppose the L3 cache is fairly important these days. Otherwise, I would choose a x4 unless I have to build a quiet PC.

First post upadated with some reviews.

IMO these CPU's are going to be the absolute kings of budget gaming boxes.

I would rather pick a Q6600 with DDR2 for an extra 50$, the difference is even less if compared to the DDR3 550 combo the reviews are benching.

:bang head: In this economic environment some people don't HAVE the extra $50. That's why they're called budget boxes. :bang head:

And there's just nothing quite like spending more money for a dead platform ... :screwy:

Ah yes the AM3 has a bright future ahead of it, I am sure you can advise on an upgrade to it with some opterons. ;)

A 50$ more for the Q6600 will pay off when the rig would be upgraded to a quad unlikely one will find one for 50$, even for AMD fanboys the 710/720 is better than the 550 at this price. Compared to both the E6300/K8 6000 neither of these worth it as an upgrade unless someone comes from XP, P4 rig.

Yes, a 250 or 550 could very easily be upgraded by simply dropping in a 955BE - or whatever the latest quad is then - when one has the money to upgrade. That's the whole point, which some people seem to miss. $50 is a whole day's pay to some ...

Regor will be a decent upgrade for my 4850e, although price is higher than I had expected. Not sure why our distributor is charging nearly 2/3 the official price. I can snag one for 58GBP which is 10GBP higher than the 4850e, same price as the 6000+. No new >65nm CPU comes close for such needs. Toliman 2.1GHz is close in price but too hot, too low clock and too much power in comparison. That said I'll still wait for a lower clocked model. 2.4-2.6GHz is my maximum realistic requirement.

EDIT: Good short compare of Windsor vs Brisbane vs Kuma vs Regor vs Callisto: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/phenom-athlon-ii-x2_6.html

Last edited:
Back