• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE z77x-UD5H vs. ASRock z77 Extreme 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enforce

Registered
Hi,

I would like some help choosing between these two motherboards for an
i5-2500k setup and Radeon 6850 with maybe possible mild overcloking in the future. I am not planning to do major upgrades for at least 3-4 yrs.

I have had experience with Gigabyte boards but not with ASRock ones, even though I know they got good rep lately (i.e. ASRock z68 Extreme 3, which was my initial choice before I convinced myself after reading reviews and posts that a z77 motherboard would be a smarter choice even when not running an Ivy Bridge setup.
The GIGABYTE z77x-UD5H is $30 more expensive on NCIX than the
ASRock z77 Extreme 4, which can be had for $139 CAD after MIR.

Which one of those two motherboards is better?
I am on a budget, but I think I'll be ok with spending an extra $30 for a better product, especially taking into account that I will not be upgrading for 3-4 yrs.

Thanks.

Hi,

I would like some help choosing between these two motherboards for an
i5-2500k setup and Radeon 6850 with maybe possible mild overcloking in the future. I am not planning to do major upgrades for at least 3-4 yrs.

I have had experience with Gigabyte boards but not with ASRock ones, even though I know they got good rep lately (i.e. ASRock z68 Extreme 3, which was my initial choice before I convinced myself after reading reviews and posts that a z77 motherboard would be a smarter choice even when not running an Ivy Bridge setup.
The GIGABYTE z77x-UD5H is $30 more expensive on NCIX than the
ASRock z77 Extreme 4, which can be had for $139 CAD after MIR.

Which one of those two motherboards is better?
I am on a budget, but I think I'll be ok with spending an extra $30 for a better product, especially taking into account that I will not be upgrading for 3-4 yrs.

Thanks.

Mild OC. Both are fine but the details are what you need to look at. Decide what features you need.

should be in the mobo section.

Quick response: I'd pick the ud5h all day.

However, if you don't need all those extra accessories/connectivity on the ud5h, you can save money and get the ud3h.

oops, sorry, can't believe I posted it in the CPU section.

I will repost it in the motherboard section to get more responses.

I like the ud5h more due to better audi codec sound quality. I listen to music a lot on my PC.

MODERATOR: PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD, I WILL REPOST IN MOTHERBOARD SECTION.

you need to realize that the ud5 and extreme4 are targeted at different user types. the x4 is a $140 board where the ud3 is a $200 board. The ud5 just happens to have the pch heatsink heatpipe connected to the mosfet sinks and that is a huge plus to me as the pch get very hot

I went with the Gigabyte z77 UD5H, even though its an overkill for my purposes. Before purchasing, my 2nd choice became the AsRock z68 Extreme 3 and not the Asrock z77, which got some mixed reviews.
The AsRock z68 Extreme 3 costs $145 CAD. I got the GIGABYTE, since it was only $169 CAD.

Back