• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston (w/SF-2281) SSD & M5A88-M Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimlau

Registered
I have the ASUS M5A88-M motherboard. I have used 3 different SSD's of size 120GB successfully. I now have had a problem with 3 separate, new Kingston 240GB SSD's (not seen by computer, or intermittently).

ASUS help was minimal, but it was suggested perhaps this motherboard is incompatible with an SSD of that large size.

Any legitimacy to that idea?

I think the controller is Sandforce SF-2281.

Thanks.

Don't know about that for sure but I do know some chipsets can be incompatible with the newer controllers. Have seen that before.
Maybe a bios update??

I tried to download a bios update. it's a zip file containing 1 file, of type .rom.

what do I do with it?

Read your manual on how to flash a bios. I think it would be far safer to see how in front of you than depend on someone many miles away to tell you how to flash bios. Most of those boards have more than one way to flash a bios and you need to decide on which one best suits you.
RGone...

which kingston ssd's?

a few of us are using the v300's in 128 gig with no issues.

yesterday I got 5 new in the box, crucial m500, 240gig ssd's.
talked with rgone on the phone this evening about the issue at hand and decided to see if issues arose.
I put my chv-f-z rig together on the slab, breadboard fashion, that is just the bits on a flat surface, no case.
got it together with the old ocz 60 gig and the kingston, v300,128 gig as the boot drive as i used to run the rig. played with it a bit and other than the cooling it's just it's sweet self.

pulled the ocz off, and rounded up cables and hooked all 5 new crucial ssd's up and..... no seeum???????
ok here's what I had to do.
start/control/panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management.
from here I initalized each drive and formated each drive and the the system would see them in my computer and I could clone my smaller drives.
bios is 1801 dated 11/25/2013, the bios is not the issue

Back