• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet Another NES PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is champion sir. I had considered all of these for my recent build before settling on the old cd player. Still have a gutted Saturn.

The optical drive, you could get a slim heatsink like the Sythe 40mm jobby or thermalright axp thing. raise the board and put the drive underneath. Possibly looks like you could get it on the HD side if that was moved to the other side, get a slot loading drive, or out the back.

I have been planning an NES PC for a while now and the winning move is to not install one and just use a USB slim driver, you can even get kit to make one with an old laptop drive. I almost never use to disk to install or play my games any more.

Looks great. The only thing I might do is put some I/O ports under the door up front. Not really a fan of the dongle cord personally, but I love that you're using the original ports to do it.

I love the psu, I stared at the pictures for the longest time wondering what in the world was plugged into the 24 pin connector, over all great job!

Out of all the NES PC's this is probably the simplest and nicest usually they come out totally brutalized and ugly/chopped up.

Thanks! My goal was to try to make it look as close to original as possible. I was going to try to put a slim optical drive disguised as an NES cartridge in the loading bay but found that the need for added airflow would probably be more important.

Besides, who uses optical drives nowadays anyways?

Looks great. The only thing I might do is put some I/O ports under the door up front. Not really a fan of the dongle cord personally, but I love that you're using the original ports to do it.

Not a bad plan. It would be pretty easy to implement and there's plenty of space for it. As long as I don't damage the overall look, it would work nicely.

I love the psu, I stared at the pictures for the longest time wondering what in the world was plugged into the 24 pin connector, over all great job!

Yeah, that's a picopsu.

I think there's a bit of an issue with the picopsu, the 12v power source, or maybe my electrical. When the system is not fully powered on the speakers buzz like crazy due to dirty power. Once the system is up and running the noise dies down though.

I'm going to get a nicer power strip with a power conditioner pretty soon here to see if that helps. I've had some major issues with that particular electrical outlet in the past so I suspect there may be some funky wiring going on.

Back