• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are there hidden files, or will it work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys.

Today i ordered a Samsung 120gb Evo SSD, main reason is because my laptop SSD has died.

But, i thought, well, im not happy with the speed of my Kingston SSD, that i use for games, so what i want to do, is swap those 2 SSD's.

The kingston for the Samsung, i have Origin and steam installed on the Kingston, aswell as a few games.

What I want to do is, install and format the Samsung, then directly move all the files (copy/paste) from the kingston to the Samsung, and then remove the Kingston, set the Samsung to the same drive letter as the kingston was.

Will this work?

You can try...I think it will work. Your worst case is to restore from a backup of Steam and Origin (take the backups first).

yea mine worked, it will have to "update" some of the files on first run but it will be fine

I did not see where he was going to image the current SSD and then put the image on the new SSD. Copying the operating system seems headed for failure but an image will do fine. I could be missing something.
RGone...

He doesn't appear to have an OS on that drive...I think his OS is on the Samsung also listed in his sig.
Kingston SSD, that i use for games, so what i want to do, is swap those 2 SSD's.

The kingston for the Samsung, i have Origin and steam installed on the Kingston, aswell as a few games.
That said, if there is an OS, that advice is, as per usual, spot onster!

As long as there is no operating system on the drive, the files get placed in the same spot, and the drive letter stays the same, nothing should be able to tell the difference.

As long as there is no operating system on the drive, the files get placed in the same spot, and the drive letter stays the same, nothing should be able to tell the difference.

This.

Do the copy, remove the Kingston drive, then assign the Samsung the old letter.

Yup. Or you can use something like gparted to turn the drive into an image and then use clonezilla to load the image on the new drive.

Yup. Or you can use something like gparted to turn the drive into an image and then use clonezilla to load the image on the new drive.

Or just skip GParted and use Clonezilla to go drive to drive...

Or skip GParted completely. Clonezilla makes images too...

lol I got that backwards, I meant to say use gparted to format it and then use clonezilla to backup/restore the image (or do disc-to-disc)

I believe the Samsung EVO comes with cloning software that is done for this exactly.

I just copied steam to a different drive today as a matter of fact. First time you run the games you will have to do it from WITHIN steam, at least I did, (I.E. open steam, select game from library, click play), not the game.exe shortcut thingy that steam makes in the app folder. Also moved NMM over along with steam, which didnt work quite right, but the drive I moved it to didn't have the same drive letter. In order to keep my NMM mods intact I installed NMM on the new drive where steam is, then merged the old NMM from C:/ to the new drive. Worked like a charm.

I can say that I just copied the folders from my Kingston, to my SSHD, then replaced the kingston with the Samsung, copied them back, and everything worked perfect.

Back