• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate 6TB $300 available at Newegg now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom10167

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178520

Seems very reasonable given
-omg huge jump
-other drive pricing

2TB drive is $100
3TB drive is $140
4TB drive is $180

The 4TB is the best value purely on GB/$, just edging out the 3TB.

Does anyone think that 6TB drives will fall closer in line with their current pricing? If so, any guesses as to when?

They're adding $40/TB so maybe they'd drop it down to $260? Before Christmas?

$300 is the sale price, looks like $350 is the "true" price.

As for when they drop in price? Well, 4TB drives have been out for a few years now, right? And if I remember right, they were up in that $300-$400 range when they first hit as well. So I'm guessing the 6TB drives will probably take about the same amount of time to settle.

Will they settle to $260 by Christmas? Regular pricing, maybe not, but I'm sure at least some will drop close to that through holiday sales.

A brand new, cutting edge product does not go on sale the day it comes out. If it's $300 today count on it being $300 from here forward.

That's true, but then again Seagates reputation hasn't exactly been shiny recently and there are reports of a 6TB HGST drive dropping pretty soon. This might be an attempt to get some of that high end market penetration back before competition hits.

Yeah, surely. I don't think when competition hits the prices will go up, though.

To me at least HGST drives are irrelevant. It's neat to see but they are $650. Even if they came down to $500 it's still not worth it to me. Server-grade hardware isn't anything I need, I'd rather just buy more Seagates and leave them in a safe deposit box. The helium tech is pretty darn neat, though.

Who's next on the way? I imagine WD will soon bring a consumer-grade drive, hopefully it'll come in lower than Seagate and force Seagate to go even lower.

The biggest problem will be seeing if I can wait that long. :)

Ain't got nuthin' on my IBM 3390.

I'm just playing the waiting game, see how long I can last with out my dataset growing larger than what I already have.

Seagate is so confident of the quality of the new 6tb drive, they gave it a whole one year warranty.

LOL

I hope it comes down soon as I need some 4TB drives for my NAS box and I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for them. Its relatively new so I'd guess about a year or so before prices start to fall.

Back