• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

256MB Graphics Cards Standard Soon!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its going to take some time for 256 mb cards to become mainstreamn and it won't happen when they are charging $80 more for $7 worth of ram.

It will probably be nice to have since you will probably own the card for 2+ years, I wouldn't put it too high on the priority list just yet and not at the current prices. What is the difference between 64 mb and 128 mb? $20-30? Once its runs about that is when I'll do it.

I'd say if you want to get a few good years out of a graphics card then get at least one with 128MB. The higher the safety margin from texture swapping, the better.

Come on folks, it's an exponential ramp. Remember in the voodoo days when people said there was no reason to ever get a 64MB graphics card? :rolleyes:

Ffats said:
256 is overboard. No one hardly uses 128 fully.

256 is over-rated IMO.

Give it three years and then we will see. I always say what you are saying and I am always proven wrong. I truly believe that if there is the ability, programmers will push the limit on what they require.

Look at it this way (or not). Up until a couple of months ago games didn't even make use of 128 mb of ram (hardly) and how long have 128 mb cards been out?

I would expect it to take about as long for 256 mb cards to become mainstream.

Back