• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

32nm Core i3, i5 Already shipped.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overvolting

Registered
Saw on google news the 32nm core i3, i5 with on-chip intel graphics has shipped.

I'm thinking core i3 might be a nice system to build.
Best case scenario you can add a HD, case and PSU to make a $500 system with a 4.5ghz dually and free vid card. Should be pretty fast.

The turbo boosted 32nm core i5 might make a nice laptop too.

Whats the point to that? I've been out of the loop since the "i" CPU's came out

The lines between CPU and GPU are blurring and they want to eventually merge them. Right now it's on the same package but they're two separate dies.
182233arrandaleintelchi.jpg

Supposedly, this integrated gpu can play world of warcraft / quakelive no problem so it's better than the stuff they integrate on the motherboard.

Hopefully you can still overclock either or both separately.

Last edited:
Yeah but they'll never be able to compare to a dedicated GPU would they?

Yeah but they'll never be able to compare to a dedicated GPU would they?

Well I wouldn't say never, but it'll be a LONG time. Look at the amount of circuitry, power and heat on a current graphics board for your answer.

Is this a new netbook and laptop solution to keep nvidia out of Intel's pockets? Hell yes.

Hmm you really think these 32nm's would run better or on par with laptops that have discrete/dedicated Nvidia cards in them?

The lines between CPU and GPU are blurring and they want to eventually merge them. Right now it's on the same package but they're two separate dies.
182233arrandaleintelchi.jpg

Supposedly, this integrated gpu can play world of warcraft / quakelive no problem so it's better than the stuff they integrate on the motherboard.

Hopefully you can still overclock either or both separately.

Boy does that look like fun to play with :comp:

The real question is: What GPU is it?

If it's yet another incarnation of the late 90's tech 4500hd, it's still no good.

The real question is: What GPU is it?

If it's yet another incarnation of the late 90's tech 4500hd, it's still no good.

I'm sure it is based on the OLD tech, however I read that it plays WoW no problem.
It's also pretty good at playing blu-ray stuff apparently.

I'm sure it's goal is to be low power and cheap first, with entry level performance. There's a reason why a 5870 takes up so much space and power.

The i3 dual cores will make nice cheap gaming machines.

(Well, they will will once 1156 motherboards come down in price. Last I looked I think the cheapest was $120?)

That puts it in the 9300 bracket. A huge step up for intel, but still not really a gaming machine. Still slower then AMDs embedded stuff too. I'm hoping AMD steps it up a notch and puts a 320core(or at least 160) 5xxx die onboard the 890gx chipset, if they can sell one with built in graphics on par with a 4670 they have it made.

That puts it in the 9300 bracket. A huge step up for intel, but still not really a gaming machine. Still slower then AMDs embedded stuff too. I'm hoping AMD steps it up a notch and puts a 320core(or at least 160) 5xxx die onboard the 890gx chipset, if they can sell one with built in graphics on par with a 4670 they have it made.

Yeah but. Except for the part where intel already shipped this and AMD has nothing atm.
Watch out for the price too, with the cpu being 32nm intel might be able to ship this sub $100 and turn a profit.

with the cpu being 32nm intel might be able to ship this sub $100 and turn a profit.

This is exactly the thing I think is going to start making things interesting. As manufacturing process's get smaller the chip yield per wafer increases offsetting the increased cost of R&D and manufacturing, im sure by a large margin. Im really anxious to see what cpu prices are going to be like this time next year or after.

Hey overvolting, how a bout a link to that article please!!!! I had no idea these were out. In fact, I didnt expect anything with built in GPU on die until 3Q 2010...

Will the on chip GPU need a special motherboard to be used with it? Or will it use current IGP motherboards, disable the IGP and pass the video signal through the IGPS I/O ports?

Overvolt... AFAIK 890 chipsets are due out the same time as these.

Back