• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600+ to utilize 333mhz FSB? xbit thinks so

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

blantantly ripped from www.xbitlabs.com
As we know, AMD eventually planned to utilise its 333MHz system bus with the Athlon XP 2700+ processors and above. However, not is appears that the company will also supply its Athlon XP 2600+ models, also utilising the higher-speed FSB.

The company originally promised to supply 100 thousands of the CPUs with 333MHz processor bus this quarter. As we have reported a lot of times, the company has a lot of problems with increasing the core-clock of the current line of the chips, as a result, it becomes a really tough task for them to launch the high-speed processors in mass-production. Currently the company only manages to supply its Athlon XP 2400+ running at 2000MHz in mass-quantities and the products are not very widely spread on the market yet so to speak. I am not even talking about the 2600+ and 2700+ models that should come later this year. Considering the fact that only the more powerful Athlon XP 2700+ makes use of the faster system bus, we may doubt that AMD will be able to supply 100 thousands of such CPUs on the market due to the present problems with the low yield for the high-speed chips. Nevertheless, AMD may provide some processors with lower frequency, but higher FSB core-clock. This may be the reason why AMD has decided to offer the Athlon XP 2600+ CPUs with the 333MHz FSB.

The official evidence of the Athlon XP 2600+’s existence for the high-speed PSB can be found here at AMD’s web-site. Unfortunately, they do not declare the actual core-speed of the device, but it is likely that it will be a bit lower compared to 2133MHz of the “original” Athlon XP 2600+. It is quite logical to assume that the processors will run at either 2083MHz (x12.5 multiplier) or 2000MHz (x12.0 multiplier).

With the introduction of the Athlon XP 2600+ CPUs with 333MHz system bus AMD will be able to achieve two goals at the same time: to deliver the announced quantity of processors with 333MHz FSB support and to provide more high-speed CPUs without increasing the actual core-speed.

so what you guys think? i personally think that they will release the 2600+ w/ 266mhz fsb first and then later the 333mhz fsb one... i doubt they will scrap the 266mhz one.

itll be 266 for one big reason.amd needs product on shelves!
yeh the 2600 can do 333fsb but it takes time and money to do the extra reaserch and verification of it.

but not long after i think we will see it. most likly same time as the 2700-2900 stock shows up.god ill be 62 years old when i finally get one.

Monarch computers is taking pre-orders for 333 FSB Athlon XP 2600+'s that will ship out on November 7. Good thing I held out from buyin a 266 FSB XP 2400+. I'll probably pick one of these up from Newegg whenever they get them. *sigh* Still waiting for Epox 8rda+ nforce2 mobos but in the meantime prices are dropping so that's a plus I guess.

Last edited:
Monarch actually have a good reseller rating - but I guess its a matter of time will tell - interesting that they have it rated at 2075MHz - which doesnt fit any convention for a 333 (166) FSB - maybe they mean 2083 (x12.5)? The AMD code is also correct as it is coded as a D which is a 333FSB

Yeah I was curious about that too Detective. However I was reading the Athlon 2600+ with 333MHz FSB imminent article from The Inquirer and it says that "The chip runs at an actual clock speed of, 2.133GHz we're told." so I guess Monarch just made a mistake or something.

deathstar13 said:
itll be 266 for one big reason.amd needs product on shelves!
yeh the 2600 can do 333fsb but it takes time and money to do the extra reaserch and verification of it.

but not long after i think we will see it. most likly same time as the 2700-2900 stock shows up.god ill be 62 years old when i finally get one.

hey don't worry, you're 61.5 now aren't you?? 6 more months, :D

According to Maximum PC. The 2600+ will be a 266 FSB running at 2.13GHz and a 0.13 chip as a Throroughbred B.The 2700+ will be the first 333FSB chip to come out.

Well, if you do some math you'll see its either 12.5x166 = 2075 or 13x166 = 2158, I having hard time to believe its the later, so that's propably why they list them as 2075... coz they are.

dont listen to maximum pc especially on such a old and outdated article...

this is looking VERY good for amd fanboys! finally amd is surprising us w/ something good!

finally amd is surprising us w/ something good!
I wouldn't say that much. AMD is finally catching up to Intel, but these new processors are not that surprising to me. I want the damn Barton to come out already, 512KB L2 cache AND a 333 FSB would be a nice surprise!

Emericana said:
dont listen to maximum pc especially on such a old and outdated article...

this is looking VERY good for amd fanboys! finally amd is surprising us w/ something good!

Well to tell you the truth. The article came out of the November 2002 issue.

Well, this may be already been asked 100 times, but I still don't get it. The 166FSB chip are great for the general public, but for us OCers, 99% of us are already running in 166-200 FSB, so there is nothing special waiting for us, right?:confused:

This info about the 333fsb 2600's is also on Amd's web site. Some vendors are saying that they will have the chips on 11-7:)

I pre ordered one from Monarch. Use my AMX card so it will be easy to return if it isn't a 333 model.

Kato said:
Well, this may be already been asked 100 times, but I still don't get it. The 166FSB chip are great for the general public, but for us OCers, 99% of us are already running in 166-200 FSB, so there is nothing special waiting for us, right?:confused:

To tell you the truth. The reason they up it to 333 is because of us overclockers. " AMD says there's a big difference in squeezing out 333MHzduring random overclocking escapades and actually manufacturing 100,000CPU's and corresponding core-logic chipsets that are guaranteed to run a 333MHz bus."

AMD's marketing is killing themselves anyway. 2600's are just now starting to hit shevles in full, and they've already released 2 more chips since then.

I don't get the flooding the market with a new chip, then 3-4 weeks later, before that chip is even mainstreamed to vendors, releasing a faster one, making it obsolete. Then people are waiting 2-3 more weeks before buying chips.

the new fsb wont let us oc any more at all than 266mhz.

just lower the mult and you can get as high a fsb you want as long as your harddrive can handle it.

Klownin79 said:

Well to tell you the truth. The article came out of the November 2002 issue.

Yea, but would you trust an article that was probably made in September (PC mags usually come out the month before the one listed on them), or from AMD's website that was probably made a few days ago here?

Emericana said:
the new fsb wont let us oc any more at all than 266mhz.

just lower the mult and you can get as high a fsb you want as long as your harddrive can handle it.
Exacly. All AMD is doing is dropping the multi and raising the FSB. For mom and pop, this will be a pretty good increase from 133 to 166, but the CPU's themselves are actually NO DIFFERENT. It wont matter if you but the 133 or the 166 CPU if you plan to OC it. If there IS a price premium on the 166 model, that will be a joke and you can be sure I would choose the 133 givin the choice. Think about it, ANY AMD CPU can be 166, just drop your multi and raise the FSB. The reason they are doing this NOW, is cause the KT333 and KT400 Mobo's support a 1/5 divider at 166 so everything is in spec.

nikhsub1 said:

Exacly. All AMD is doing is dropping the multi and raising the FSB. For mom and pop, this will be a pretty good increase from 133 to 166, but the CPU's themselves are actually NO DIFFERENT. It wont matter if you but the 133 or the 166 CPU if you plan to OC it. If there IS a price premium on the 166 model, that will be a joke and you can be sure I would choose the 133 givin the choice. Think about it, ANY AMD CPU can be 166, just drop your multi and raise the FSB. The reason they are doing this NOW, is cause the KT333 and KT400 Mobo's support a 1/5 divider at 166 so everything is in spec.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the assumption that the 266's and 333's were manufactured differently and that the 333's were able to achieve better stability at higher FSB. So what you're saying is that a 266 is able to achieve the exact same FSB as a 333? I guess there's no point in paying an extra $100 for a 333 fsb 2600+ than a 266 fsb 2400+. All you get is an extra 75 mhz and both can get to the same FSB.

Back