• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so i went to mexico....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtkxhom3r

so i went to mexico to visit my grandparents and saw something really interesting/fun...

there was a guy with a small wooden box hanging from his neck with a bunch of people around him so i went to see what was up

pretty much he gives you 2 metal sticks with some wires attached to them and when he turns on the machine you start getting shocked...at first its a small tingle then he starts turning it up until you cant hold it anymore and you let go..

really fun stuff so i want to make my self one and i figured some circuitry guru here must have an idea of how to make one...

it looked something like this
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/gimages/vintage_shock.jpg

not a very accurate pic but you get the idea...

it looked like he was using some kind of 12v battery....

so does anyone have any idea how i can make a machine like this??? please help me!!

something i've done in the past involved a relay and a 9v battery, and some wire. wire the battery through the NC contacts on the relay to the coil, and a couple wires hanging off of the coil. as soon as the coil is energized, it opens the NC contacts and removes power to the coil. no power, contacts close, and it repeats. the inductance in the coil makes the voltage go way up, giving a nice shock you can feel.

this might get you started in a good direction, i never played with adding more inductance or a transformer or anything like that, but i'm pretty sure it could get dangerous pretty quick if you do.

i think the best i have ever done is taken one of those disposable cameras, ya kno the cheapie 3 dollar film throwaways... opened it up, and modded it to use the capicatator circuit for the flash to shock the **** out of an unsuspecting friend takin a picture. A coupla paper clips exposed on the outside but hidden to make contact with the persons hand... thing was genius... and hurt like a son of a *****.

Ok, this made me laugh so hard :D If you make one let us know, better yet, make a tutorial :p

@nd4, I'm pretty sure the current for the flash in a camera can be dangerous to play with, so I wouldn't advise that to the OP.

I've seen what you're talking about in an episode of wild boys. I'm guessing its got some kind of step up transformer / inverter or some kind of adjustable transformer.

so you went to mexico and you come back with this as the only experience mentioned lol.

lmao there isnt much to say about MX...

i go there all the time and this is the only new/interesting thing i saw...

@nd4, I'm pretty sure the current for the flash in a camera can be dangerous to play with, so I wouldn't advise that to the OP.

I've seen what you're talking about in an episode of wild boys. I'm guessing its got some kind of step up transformer / inverter or some kind of adjustable transformer.

well looks like the only way ima get my hands on one of those is to go back and buy it from the guy lol...

unless someone can make me some kind of diagram on how to make it and ill gladly make it and try it out lol

Hook up negative and positive and stick a variable resistor in. Not much to diagram...

so i went to mexico to visit my grandparents and saw something really interesting/fun...

there was a guy with a small wooden box hanging from his neck with a bunch of people around him so i went to see what was up

pretty much he gives you 2 metal sticks with some wires attached to them and when he turns on the machine you start getting shocked...at first its a small tingle then he starts turning it up until you cant hold it anymore and you let go..

really fun stuff so i want to make my self one and i figured some circuitry guru here must have an idea of how to make one...

it looked something like this
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/gimages/vintage_shock.jpg

not a very accurate pic but you get the idea...

it looked like he was using some kind of 12v battery....

so does anyone have any idea how i can make a machine like this??? please help me!!

If you want help constructing a machine to electrocute yourself, you might want to go do one of those sado-masochism/BSDM sites and see if they have any pre-built ;)

Take on old garbo power supply, run it for awhile, immediately disassemble, then rip the fat caps out and touch them with a wet hand.

Good times

Seriously though, no offense, I like your posts they are well informed and useful and I think they're great contributions but this thread is :screwy:

:santa:

Back