• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7-3770K Temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WilliamP

Registered
Tweak Town ran overclocking tests on some CPU's including the Ivy Bridge I7-3770K and noted the high temp of the 3770K. I have seen this mentioned before and it has me confused and worried. I was planning a new build with a 3770K. First of all the Ivy Bridge is a lower wattage processor. In electricity, wattage equals heat. They did not indicate what cooler they were using. Hopefully it was the stock cooler.

Tweak Town ran overclocking tests on some CPU's including the Ivy Bridge I7-3770K and noted the high temp of the 3770K. I have seen this mentioned before and it has me confused and worried. I was planning a new build with a 3770K. First of all the Ivy Bridge is a lower wattage processor. In electricity, wattage equals heat. They did not indicate what cooler they were using. Hopefully it was the stock cooler.

I hope it was the stock cooler. It wouldn't make sense for there to be more heat.

In electricity, wattage equals heat. They did not indicate what cooler they were using. Hopefully it was the stock cooler.

Number of transistors can equal heat too AFAIK. I don't think Ivybridge is going to run way cooler than Sandybridge. It has more transistors and is only 4nm smaller process. I could be wrong on the transistor thing but even if that's so, being only 4nm smaller and a little bit lower wattage shouldn't make for a cpu that's way way cooler. Just a little. Also it's not out yet so it could have been a bad binned overclocked chip you were looking at?

Keep in mind that Ivy bridge uses a 3D gate design. You must consider transistor density when comparing silicone temps as well as total wattage. Were seeing a ~18w TDP reduction but its also in the neighborhood of a 30% die shrink WITH more transistors than the previous generation. This has the makings of a hot little chip.

So its possible ivy bridge won't overclock any better than sandy due to heat?

Electricity consumed = watts of heat generated.
The temperature of the chip has remarkibly little to do with how many watts of power it is drawing however. The core temps depend on a variety of things, including but not limited to the watts being consumed, the core design, the location of the sensors in the core, the thermal interface between core and heatspreader, the thermal interface between heatspreader and heatsink, the heatsink, the airflow over the heatsink, the motherboard temp, the number of pins in the socket, the material the socket pins are made out of, and so on.

An excellent example is comparing the temp of a 140w PhII 965 to the temp of a 130w i7 950 on the same cooler. The PhII draws 10 more watts but runs significantly cooler.
Why?
Core temp probe placement and core heat dissipation abilities.

In my personal opinion there needs to be a specifier attached to any time anybody says "hot cpu" or "runs hot". The 140W CPU eats more power and puts out more heat, as heat is measured in watts. Having cooler core temps doesn't mean it puts out less heat than the 130w i7, it actually has little to do with heat production.

The 3770k is guaranteed to be a lower heat production CPU.
The 3770k may well have higher core temps for a given heat output. In fact I would be very surprised if the temps were not higher for a given heat output.
If we're all lucky the lower heat production will be a large enough factor that they don't overheat constantly.

Bob that sounds impressive but I'm having a hard time getting my head around it. The only thing I can see is heat being created in a smaller area consequently being harder to cool.

Yeah that's the long and short of half of it.
The other half can be summarized thusly:

100w of heat into a dinky heatsink runs "hot".
100w of heat into a beefy water loop runs "cool".
Both are the same amount of heat, 100w.

So its possible ivy bridge won't overclock any better than sandy due to heat?

I just heard that IB will overclock almost the same on air/water as SB. For more you will need sub zero. I just wouldn't count on 5.5GHz+ IB on air/water ;)

About temps ... for some users 90*C is hot ( Bloomfields ) for others 60*C+ ( most AMD users ;) ). I mean like who cares if it's 10*C more or less when it's stable and won't kill your chip ? I don't really care about temps as long as IB won't degrade so easily as SB.

Back