• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Problem with FX8350 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monodoggie

Registered
Hi all! So i was trying to get some high clocks off my FX8350 but i encountered a strange problem. I tried 5Ghz @ 1,525 volts. It booted up nicely, but when i tried to put some load on the CPU it seems the PSU shut down everytime (atleast i think so). I had to turn the PSU off for a while and then turn it back on to get up and running. I tried higher voltages, but it only made it worse. Then i tried lowering the volts to 1.48, and it ran prime95 with some errors but didn't shutdown. At 1.5v i ran prime95 for about 20 minutes without any errors(didn't bother to continue longer for now). But if i go anything over 1.5v it seems the PSU shuts down. The temps are in the low 50's to high 50's so 5Ghz is enough for me now. I am just wondering what is going on here? This prevents me from even trying to go further. I took a few screenshots of CPU-Z in case they offer some usefull info.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
I have not looked to see the actual maker of the Chieftec 650watt power supply nor how its individual rails are rated, but some of these FX 8 core configurations can draw some serious current from a marginal power supply.
RGone...

Yeah, thats why i am doubting my PSU. Rating for rails as follows:

12v: two 12v rails 25A each, 46A combined output.
5V: 25A
3,3V:25A

Your CL4 1600mhz ram is probably something to do with it... slow the ram down, thats ridiculous dude lol

I've kept the ram at the stock 1600Mhz. I tought about lowering the ram, but usually when i've had problems with ram it just crashes and reboots. At the moment the PSU dies until you turn it off for a while and back on. I'll lower the ram speed tomorrow and give it a shot tho.

EDIT: I accidentally had the rams in wrong slots, thats why it was Single channeled. Switched the rams to the right slots but had no effect. Even one notch above 1.5v and PSU cuts off when CPU is under load, quess its time to buy new PSU and try with that.

Last edited:
You are at serious risk for damaging other components such as motherboard, CPU and RAM if you continue to use that failing/failed PSU.

Simple answer - Too much CPU voltage!

The CPU is getting way too hot, I can't run my 8320 like that on water much less air without it having problems. Under load the problem is even worse, that's why it's shutting down/locking up.
An 8 core chip is a challenge at times to keep cool and I can tell you anything at or above 1.50v's is best left to really good watercooling or better such as DICE for example. It's possible to get 5.0 from it since these chips are really responsive to voltage used but you'd best have enough cooling for it to handle the thermal load it's putting out.

My cooling for my chip is a triple rad setup with a custom watercooling system and it has a hard time keeping temps in check while under load at those voltages. However since I have an open res ( 2.5 Gal capacity) I can ice it down and run it that way with voltages as you've described but only when I do that.

See how little voltage you'd need to reach 5.0, then monitor temps under load to see what the chip is doing while running Prime 95 - I'd bet on you seeing temps spiking hard when it begins it's run.
BTW when you say it's at 50-55C, it that before you begin a run? Temps under load is what's important, not temps at idle.

I'll also throw in using mostly CPU multi instead of a good blend of CPU multi/bus speed for a desired clockspeed will make one run a little hotter as well since the CPU is doing most if not all the work of hitting the desired clock. Spreading this stress load between the CPU and bus will help things.

Last edited:
Haven't we already spoken about your timings being too tight?

Also, it is highly doubtful your neptune is going to be adequate for anything near 5.0 "stable" McCoy make some very good points above.

Additionally as Rgone said when these chips start being pushed into the 5.0 range they really start taxing the Psu. I had a Seasonic X 650 gold unit on mine and once I started getting above 5.0 on 3D benchmarks using my GTX 580, my whole rig would shut down. If that Chieftech isn't putting out the specs it is supposed to then it could also be the issue.

First things first Fix the timings on the Ram then try overclocking it to a more reasonable overclock such as 4.7 and see if you can get it two hours prime stable there. Watch the temps 70c on the Cpu and 62c on the core. Open HWmonitor while running Prime Blend and then post a screen shot of Hwmonitor here.

I fixed the timings allready, they were so tight cause it was single channel. Now its dual channel and CL10. It had no efect what so ever. The temps are around 50-59C under load,goes to 60-65 for a sec but comes back down. My PSU is alleady 5 years old so i am pretty sure its the problem. Even all my peripherals shut down even tho i configured USB ports to be on even when the system is not running so i can use them for charging my phones and such. I'll order a decent PSU and give it a shot with that when it arrives. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here is the how and what of what we need to see...

need to see to really make suggestion when we are not at the keyboard.

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

In bios disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, TurboCore (if there), Disable APM and in windows power manager set to "performance mode". Then do as below.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

You can attach more than 3 pics at one time by going back up to browse another file and uploading it.

I just ordered Chieftec 1250w 80+gold certified PSU. 12v rail is rated 104A on that. Should also suffice my plans of gtx800 series SLI. If all goes well i should have it tomorrow. I dont want to risk anything by running prime95 on my current psu if it just keeps cutting off.

@ Monodoggie. That Chieftec stuff is likely to all be way underpowered stuff and likely over-rated. Most of the sites showing that power supply were not in English but yes, I could still see the ratings given.

Here is the kicker. I found a 1000watt Chieftec for sale in Usa for $69.99 Usd but discontinued. Less than $70.00Usd for a 1000watt power supply just shows they are not much power supply.

I don't doubt the single rail 1250watt model you are buying will be more likely to run the FX-8350 without cutting off but I surely have my doubts of it being good for later Nvidia 800 gpus in SLI and an overclocked FX 8 core processor. They just look too cheap to be good power supplies. FYI.
RGone...

The Chieftec cost me 258$. I've had no problems with my current chieftec until now. I quess i just gotta hope for the best and fear for the worst as i allready bought it ;)

EDIT: Chieftec does also have cheaper line of PSUs, but also some more expensive ones that should be much better.

I guess you're already committed, so here's hoping for the best.

Yeah, i probably couldn't cancel the order anymore as its shipped allready. I'll let you know how i do with the chieftec. I was considering the Leadex SuperFlower 1k platinium like you have Johan. But i was unable to find any reviews for it =/. So i just bought the chieftec as i have been pretty pleased with my current one for the past 5 years.

There's one good review by JohnnyGuru, it's a great PSU.

Back