• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rayrays build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Couple more questions i have is how much of a difference does it make that my motherboard has a 970 chipset when i always see 990. And my ram timing is default at 11,11,11,28 and i see everyone else at 9,9,9,24. My ram packaging also showed 9,9,9,24 so is that hurting me

If you will go back to post #20 where you show the several CPU-z tabs and if you will look at the SPD tab down towards the bottom you will note that manufacturer recommendations are given for the RAM timings and voltage at various frequencies within it's operating range. The smaller the timing numbers, the shorter are the pauses that the data experiences in being handled by the RAM. In other words, smaller timing numbers mean less delay and better performance.

Look under the column to the far right in that SPD tab pic - the XMP-1600 column. That's the quickest timings the manufacturer says will be stable for that RAM (XMP means "Xtreme Memory Performance" or something like that). Your motherboard may have an "XMP" setting in bios and if you select it the memory should run at that frequency and those timings. If you do not select XMP, the bios will choose a mode with less aggressive timings which is your current profile. Also, if your bios does not have an XMP option then you would need to manually configure the timings to XMP level.

It also looks like you are using the FSB to overclock so that will increase the RAM frequency and may make it necessary to use more relaxed timings.

Couple more questions i have is how much of a difference does it make that my motherboard has a 970 chipset when i always see 990. And my ram timing is default at 11,11,11,28 and i see everyone else at 9,9,9,24. My ram packaging also showed 9,9,9,24 so is that hurting me
If you're going to continue using the the Cpu Ratio/FSB, "which there is nothing wrong with doing so", to overclock then leave the timings loose. You may even want to drop the Ram multiplier down 1. This will help keep the Ram from causing instability when pushing further. After you find a daily Cpu OC that you're comfortable with, you can then try working on the ram to see what speed and timings are optimal. In general AMD chips like tighter timings over raw speed.

ok so ill leave it at what its at ill go back in for now and switch it back to what it was. And it is actually running at around 1760mhz on the ram i turned it down one percent on the ram multiplier and it put it at 1428mhz for now.

Ok so ram is back how it was. I did drop the multiplier one like I said in the last post for the ram and went up to 4.4. Basically what I am going for is the highest I can go on stock voltage. I have been told once you start upping voltage temps go up which is pretty much common sense. When I get better cooling I'm going to go more if possible but for now I am just trying to see where I can go till I get a fault.

The way I am doing it is up the fsb then come in and run prime then run heaven just for good measure. Does that sound about right.

Ok so tried at 4.5 and during the prime test it just restarted so does that mean it's my limit on this voltage or did I do something wrong to cause that

Ok so tried at 4.5 and during the prime test it just restarted so does that mean it's my limit on this voltage or did I do something wrong to cause that

Yes, probably. Your vcore is still pretty modest but as you say, more vcore means more heat. But your temps are fine right now and it looks like to me you have some temp room for more vcore. How long are you running the stress test. Use a 20 minute Prime95 blend test or a 10 minute Intel Burn Test on "high" setting.

The temp guidelines are a max package temp of 60-65c and a max socket temp (TMPIN2) of 65-70c.

I've been running prime for about 15 minutes each. It's running right now again at the 4.4 setting. Is it normal for my vcore to fluctuate from 1.344-1.392 when I switched from auto and set it at the default? Also noticed vcore load line setting is on normal. Choices for that are standard, medium low and extreme. Should I change that?

And at 25 minutes on a prime blend test with teams holding steady. So if tmpin2 is socket is tmpin 1 the nb or which one would that be? I was thinking it was socket but I didn't know for sure

Rayray, in all the above tests was the CPU V set on auto or was it manually set?
The voltage fluctuation is normal to a point, it could be caused by the voltage being set on auto if that is the case. It is also caused by the CPU LLC, what we try to do with the CPU LLC is set it where it doesn't allow the voltage to droop and at the same time not let it spike too much higher then the manually set CPU voltage. The best way to find the best setting for your setup is by testing it.

At some point you are going to want to test from true stability. I usually find that if my rig can pass two hours of prime blend it's stable for anything I throw at it. This is helpful because as you push higher it will be more difficult for you to find a daily stable OC if that is your goal. Additionally, having a known stable point to fall back on if you lose your way when pushing higher is helpful. A word of advice take notes of all your changes because it can get frustrating when you start crashing, which eventually happens when pushing hard.

Ok i think i finally got it stable at 4.5mhz here are the pics

4.5 at 15 min.PNG

Capture4.5.PNG

Capture4.5spd.PNG

Now my next question(last one promise) is about the HT link speed and NB speed. Should I try and get it back to 2200 and 2600?

Rayray, in all the above tests was the CPU V set on auto or was it manually set?
The voltage fluctuation is normal to a point, it could be caused by the voltage being set on auto if that is the case. It is also caused by the CPU LLC, what we try to do with the CPU LLC is set it where it doesn't allow the voltage to droop and at the same time not let it spike too much higher then the manually set CPU voltage. The best way to find the best setting for your setup is by testing it.

At some point you are going to want to test from true stability. I usually find that if my rig can pass two hours of prime blend it's stable for anything I throw at it. This is helpful because as you push higher it will be more difficult for you to find a daily stable OC if that is your goal. Additionally, having a known stable point to fall back on if you lose your way when pushing higher is helpful. A word of advice take notes of all your changes because it can get frustrating when you start crashing, which eventually happens when pushing hard.

that was with it manually set at the default. and all i am wanting is 4.5 daily oc which I think I may have unless you think i need to change something else.

You probably should try and pass two hours prime at these settings to see if it's truly stable. As far as the nb and ht no you can leave it here. You may need to bump the CPU Nb voltage though at some point but leave it be for now and see if you can pass two hours.

Ok sounds good. Should I sit at it for the whole two hours and keep eye on it? I would assume so right.

that was with it manually set at the default. and all i am wanting is 4.5 daily oc which I think I may have unless you think i need to change something else.

Some one familiar with Ram teaking and overclocking should step on in here.

AMD will respond much nicer to a tighter timings set while running under that 800mhz speed.

From my perspective, your Ram is just way loose even JDEC at Cas 10 800mhz is crazy loose.

I try and point people to Cas 6/7/8 at certain frequencies with certain modules. Yours I'm not familiar with but looks like "value ram".

I'd try a set up of 8-8-8-x-x 2T, might take an increase in Ram voltage to get them to go. A most common timing set would be 8-8-8-24-32 2T 1.5 - 1.6v

Ok I'll make a note of that and start working with ram once I run prime for a couple hours. I appreciate all the help with all my questions.

Shrimpy, because the Rayray was using the fsb I told him to drop the multi for now so a stable oc could be found. I was trying to eliminate the possibility of the ram causing instability. After a stable oc is found I said to them try and tighten the timings and possibly speed up the ram.

Ok I'll make a note of that and start working with ram once I run prime for a couple hours. I appreciate all the help with all my questions.

Any time.

Remember you can always just tweak one timing at a time. Cas latency would be the most major teak besides the command rate 1T or 2T.

You might not get Cas 8 or even 7 But you could try something like 9-8-9-22-32 2T at 1.55v for example. I think Cas 8 is doable with any decent set of ram sticks.....

Back