• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper-X pc3500 problem ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KGH

NF7-2 v2.0
2100+ AUIHB (Tb-B)
Hyper-X pc3500

I got this stick of 256mb few days ago and seem like it's not so great. And here is how I ran those fsb and timing tests:

8.5 x 230 5-2-2-2 or 7-3-3-2.5 <== no post
10.0 x 225 NO POST
10.0 x 220 not stable ( got in windows and crashed often)

currently at 10.5 x 217 ( 2280mhz) @8-2-2-2 @1.760V

Is there a good sequence of fsb/timing to test out this stick to find its max speed. I know this ram should run at 230+ and that is average if cannot pass the 220 then this is about pc3200 ram.

SeanOMatic said:
Your timings are too tight. 2-2-2-8 is a lot, try going 2-3-3-8

yes but it seems very stable at this timing @217fsb.
Been running all night and do all kind of thing w/o crashing.
What Iam interested in is ..able to raise higher fsb.

Are you sure that this is a ram topping out problem and not the board? Have you increased the vdd? Vdimm voltage?

PC3500= ddr434=217fsb

yes PC3500 = ddr433 = 217fsb indeed. However I have seen more PC3500 hyper-X able to hit 15fsb+ at least with this series.
which is 225-240fsb
the board is NF7-S version 2.0 which max out at 250fsb
I tried vdd at 2.8V and coreV at 1.85V
anymore suggestion of settings would be highly appreciated.

you tried vdimm @ 2.8 not vdd

vdd is th voltage to the NB and you might need to up it be able to hit a higher fsb also vdimm might need 2.9 if the bios allows it. Are you using stock cooling on the NB or aftermarket what about the mosfet are you cooling them and what about the SB?

NB and SB is using stock cooling I havent added or modded anything
So you saying up the VDD umm I will try now and see

thnx

ADDED:
Ok now it is running at 222fsb @8-3-3-2.5 @2.9V
[email protected] and Chipset voltage at 1.7V ( that is the max in BIOS setting I see )

10.5x222@2338mhz
so far so good
but the timing does not seem fast
I will run some test for few hrs under this speed

Last edited:
There is a problem with the Hyper X 3500 and the V2.0 board. Mine wouldn't run 190 stable. Go to the Abit page and go to the Forums. I had to RMA back to Newegg and get the Corsair you see in my sig.

P.S. Do a search for Hyper X and NF7 problems and you will find a ton of posts.

I am able to get to 210Mhz with my setup, butr no go after that. I was wondering the same thing, but I figured it was the problem with the board and memory together. If you find anything out, let me know...I would like to fix the problem myself.

I can go past 230 on my revision 2 without any problems. There is an issue with the NF7 and HyperX, but you seem to be doing too well to be suffering from it. Your timings are very relaxed, though. 8-2-2-2 is quite tight, though. Try for some middle ground, like 6-3-3-2, or 7-4-4-2. It's really the CAS latency that matters the most.

Crap! This is not good news for me, hearing that the Hyper-X PC3500 has compatibility issues with the NF7.

I've been running 2x256 GeIL PC2700 (that does a very nice 360MHz at 2-3-3-6 at stock voltage) for almost a year now, and I recently picked up an NF7-S 2.0
I love the board, but the PC2700 memory is holding me back, so I have been looking at getting some PC3200 or PC3500 for a while now. I had a gift card for Best Buy for roughly $295, and it just so happened that some Best Buy's starting carrying select Hyper-X in store. I got them to match their online price for the memory, and picked up 2x512 Hyper-X PC3500 (supposedly the newer low latency version). I haven't had time to put it in yet, but I was looking foward to some high FSB goodness. Maybe in the 200MHz to 220MHz range.

Guess I'll have to read about the problems, and hope that I don't experience it.:D

I guess I have to keep this stick then ..for $49 I cannot complain :)
right running at 11 x 218 which is 2.4ghz mark.
been up 2 days :)

thnx for timing tips I will lower it later see if i can push any further.

if no matter at what setting multiplier and fsb, your system cannot go beyond 2.4ghz stable ..that is not becuase of the RAm right ? but the cpu I believe

$49?!?!?!?

Dude, for that price you should be extremely happy with the memory. And it's not like 218fsb is bad. In my book that's a nice systemwide fsb and a good overclock. It may not go beyond 218mhz (433 fsb) but it DOES at least run at the speed that it's rated to run at. ;)

kevinN said:
NF7-2 v2.0
2100+ AUIHB (Tb-B)
Hyper-X pc3500

I got this stick of 256mb few days ago and seem like it's not so great. And here is how I ran those fsb and timing tests:

8.5 x 230 5-2-2-2 or 7-3-3-2.5 <== no post
10.0 x 225 NO POST
10.0 x 220 not stable ( got in windows and crashed often)

currently at 10.5 x 217 ( 2280mhz) @8-2-2-2 @1.760V

Is there a good sequence of fsb/timing to test out this stick to find its max speed. I know this ram should run at 230+ and that is average if cannot pass the 220 then this is about pc3200 ram.

Reading your last statement, i thought I would point out that most ram manufacturers PC3500 is just PC3200 that has been verified to run at PC3500 speeds. Considering that all the memory has to do to be rated PC3500 is run at 217Mhz stable, and i assume yours does, then you got PC3500 ram. How much it runs past 217 is just how lucky you get.

Now on to the real issue of your problem. You might need to use Bios 1.4 to eliminate a compatibilty issue that has been known to exist between your ram and MB. Also, you won't like to hear this, but the problem is most likely your Northbridge. Some people get lucky and can run their NF7 past 220 without mods, but the majority of us can NOT run 220+ without doing a Vdd mod.

Hammer

Arghh the NB heating problem ..I heard you

The reason I posted this question is that most of my friends They're using this PC3500 HyperX and hit 230ish and some even 240ish and I just wonder why mine does not.

Now I recall they did something about applying the AS to the NB which let them run at higher FSB ..

Is there a instruction page about apply AS3 to NB and VDD mod ? i dont want to blow up my board hehehe :)

thnx

Back