• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 990FXA-GD65 990FX or Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, if you don't mind waiting a few days, I should receive my 990FXA-GD65 early next week.

I've read on many forums that this board, with latest bios, is one of the best bang for bucks and the powerful VRMs should not hold any FX back.

Well, if you don't mind waiting a few days, I should receive my 990FXA-GD65 early next week.

I've read on many forums that this board, with latest bios, is one of the best bang for bucks and the powerful VRMs should not hold any FX back.

I seriously have my doubts about that board being so good for FX processors. Have worked for days with user in the AMD cpu section and it does not look like there is a bios choice for disable APM. I have not seen his bios only pictures but I did not find it either. Without it, maxing an FX processor out is gong to be a real effort before the VRMs throttle.

Maybe there is a 'brand-new', days old, bios that fixes the lack of APM disable issue. I do not know since I don't and don't plan to have MSI with their odd happenings.
RGone...

+1 RGone if I remember right he was even having issues at stock speeds.

That is a crazy thread. No one so far but MSI has had such an issue. From the swapping to Deneb processor and working it seems only an FX processor thing. When such stuff as that begins to happen, it just alerts me to the possibility of more potential issues. It is often tough enough to get these rigs to run fast without potentially shooting my ownself in the foot. I guess only time will tell. Luck man.
RGone...

Well, my GD65 won't hold an FX but a 1075t (and remain like that lol!).

I could borrow a 8XXX in a near future to check though...

Well this thread became interesting! :)

Wait a few days for what? :p
Anyways, I've ordered the Sabertooth motherboard, but since it was out of stock on the site I'm buying from I have to wait ~1 week for it :)

As much as I love the sabertooth I would actually say a cheaper board is likely your better choice. I see that you already ordered though.

This is basically my oppition on the subject though. If you plan on getting a Vishera CPU within the next year the sabertooth is not a bad choice. However, if your going to keep that 965 for a year or posibly longer then your best bet is to go for a mid range board and keep your cash.

The primary reason is that AMD is releasing a new line of CPUs next year, and the probably wont use the same motherboard.

The problem is AMD says alot of things. Last fall they said that the vishera won't be the last AM3+ chip. They also said Steamroller was coming out this year. We all know that isn't going to happen( apu form maybe) At this point I think it's still a crap shoot as to what they're gonna do. I have my fingers crossed though.!!

The problem is AMD says alot of things. Last fall they said that the vishera won't be the last AM3+ chip. They also said Steamroller was coming out this year. We all know that isn't going to happen( apu form maybe) At this point I think it's still a crap shoot as to what they're gonna do. I have my fingers crossed though.!!

Thats pretty much my point. However, given the changes to the architecture, and the history / reputation of there new lead CPU designer I would put my money on a new socket for Steamroller. Either way spending money into a high end board right now when the CPU he has can be clocked to the moon and back on any decent motherboard with 6+ VRM phases, but especially since we dont know that the board will be viable over the next generation is kinda wasteful..

@balyn
Now all of that aside the Sabertooth R2.0 is one of the most solid AMD motherboards around, you wont be disappointed.

However, given the changes to the architecture, and the history / reputation of there new lead CPU designer I would put my money on a new socket for Steamroller. .

Good point Wizzy, Either way I know I'll have to see what it can do first hand :salute:

@balyn
Now all of that aside the Sabertooth R2.0 is one of the most solid AMD motherboards around, you wont be disappointed.

That's great to hear. I should get it either tomorrow or by friday due there's a "red day" here in sweden, which means there's like no one working besides Police/Hospital and such things, and no school for those who's still in school :)

So by friday at least it should arrive!
Thanks a lot again guys!

Actually the whole thread has a strange flavor to it. We have a 965BE at 3.8Ghz seemingly stable and yet we are willing to buy a motherboard to "try" and run it at 4.2Ghz. That is the part that is considerably iffy. But he did say he wanted to be able to go FX within the first few posts and that gave the nod to the Sabertooth 990FX over an MSI board.

So what happens if the 965BE is a dud and won't go 4.2Ghz. Are we going to go ahead and get an FX Vishera processor? I mean we are willing to buy a mobo on the outside chance a 965BE will go faster. So if we miss 4.2Ghz what is next? There is not a lot of real power to do work between 3.8Ghz and 4.2Ghz. Certainly not to warrant even $100 for another mobo.

An M5A97 R2.0 should clock the fool out of the 965BE but I doubt the 965BE will do 4.2Ghz on air. Cheap enough board. But the M5A97 will be only good enough for a 4 core FX at about 4.4Ghz on water.

The four core deneb at 3.8Ghz will game about the same as 4.2Ghz. So what is the whole project about? We are likely a year off from steamroller. I could do a lot playing with an FX-6850 between now and then if I buy a good board for FX today.

The whole idea of overclocking and buying to overclock is sort of out there for most mainline folks. If you cannot run with the big dogs, then better stay up on the porch. That is why I buy the best board at first. Then I am not faced with spending more money for an iffy 400Mhz. Get 'R Done.
RGone...

Actually the whole thread has a strange flavor to it. We have a 965BE at 3.8Ghz seemingly stable and yet we are willing to buy a motherboard to "try" and run it at 4.2Ghz. That is the part that is considerably iffy. But he did say he wanted to be able to go FX within the first few posts and that gave the nod to the Sabertooth 990FX over an MSI board.

So what happens if the 965BE is a dud and won't go 4.2Ghz. Are we going to go ahead and get an FX Vishera processor? I mean we are willing to buy a mobo on the outside chance a 965BE will go faster. So if we miss 4.2Ghz what is next? There is not a lot of real power to do work between 3.8Ghz and 4.2Ghz. Certainly not to warrant even $100 for another mobo.

An M5A97 R2.0 should clock the fool out of the 965BE but I doubt the 965BE will do 4.2Ghz on air. Cheap enough board. But the M5A97 will be only good enough for a 4 core FX at about 4.4Ghz on water.

The four core deneb at 3.8Ghz will game about the same as 4.2Ghz. So what is the whole project about? We are likely a year off from steamroller. I could do a lot playing with an FX-6850 between now and then if I buy a good board for FX today.

The whole idea of overclocking and buying to overclock is sort of out there for most mainline folks. If you cannot run with the big dogs, then better stay up on the porch. That is why I buy the best board at first. Then I am not faced with spending more money for an iffy 400Mhz. Get 'R Done.
RGone...

Well I get what you mean. But since this is basically the start of my career as a(an?) overclocker I don't want my motherboard to stop me. I know every chip is different, but hey, the motherboard I have right now have this annoying coil whine anyway, and I'll most likely get my money back for it, so basically I only pay ~half of the price.

And even though I may upgrade CPU lateron, I'm not the person who stands in line to get the newest mobo/cpu/gpu or whatever. But again, if now I can't get it higher than 3.8GHz with a new mobo; That's fine. I know my CPU is a great one and it performs very well. :)

Good deal man. I just wanted the best picture painted we could get. I agree if this is your AMD beginning to overclock, the Sabertooth 990FX will be a good choice. Everything else you seem to have a good 'handle' on. Luck man.
RGone...

PS: An overclock to 4.0Ghz is a real possibility with that better Sabertooth board. I am pulling for you to get that anyway.

Well I get what you mean. But since this is basically the start of my career as a(an?) overclocker I don't want my motherboard to stop me. I know every chip is different, but hey, the motherboard I have right now have this annoying coil whine anyway, and I'll most likely get my money back for it, so basically I only pay ~half of the price.

And even though I may upgrade CPU lateron, I'm not the person who stands in line to get the newest mobo/cpu/gpu or whatever. But again, if now I can't get it higher than 3.8GHz with a new mobo; That's fine. I know my CPU is a great one and it performs very well. :)

Hello again guys! I love the Sabertooth motherboard so far. I've had it for about a week but I haven't had the time to overclock, besides today.

So I started off from my 3.8Ghz clock and moved up to 4.0Ghz straight away > More Volt to CPU > Bluescreen > more volt > Until I get this error in Prime95 Blend: "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4".

I've googled around and this basically means: If it happens on Small FFT's, I need to increase the Vcore further, but if it happens on Blend it most likely is because of your memory?

Anyway, I added up the volt on my memory from 1.5 to 1.55v and I'm still getting this error, only on one core though. Core 4. It usually happens after 5-10 minutes.

The current settings I'm using:
LLC 75%
CPU Vcore: 1.524v
CPU/NB volt: 1,3*something*
Memory: 1.55v

How do you suggest I move from here?
My full-load temps in Small fft's are: 57c at most, but pendling between 55-56 and around 53-56 on blend.

Edit: These are my mem sticks: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=ct2kit25664ba1339

Last edited:
Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

This is in blend-testing:
Here you go:
Untitled.png

Edit: okay so 14 min after I started blend it gave me the error again. No bsod, just the error.

Last edited:
Back