• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED CPU or Motherboard problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluezero5

Winner, Rig-o'-the-Quarter, Fourth Quarter 2012
Alright, I will like some second opinion here.

I was invited to fix my friend's computer, and I realize his computer will just start for a 'split second' then turn off. I immediately told myself.. oh.. feels like something is shorting the circuit and PSU protect came on..

so I started to strip down EVERYTHING.. until only CPU is there... same.

then out of curiousity, I removed the CPU again.. and viola.. Motherboard stays ON without turning off, indicates 00 on the ASUS indicator...

I haven't seen a dead CPU for a LONG WHILE...
can I conclude it is his CPU that needs replacement?

the Mobo CPU slot looks like it is in MINT condition, nothing bend, nothing out of ordinary... but there's STILL a chance that it is a faulty mobo that just cannot boot up a CPU...

mobo ASUS z97-deluxe
cpu 4770k

what you guys think?

Last edited:
Honestly it sounds like how my last CPU that died on me acted, although it took part of the motherboard also lol

Yep, check the CPU in another mobo and/or check the mobo with another CPU.

You've definitely eliminated the rest of the components.

I will go buy a new CPU for him to try it.

to be honest though, my previous experience tells me that 90% of the time it is the mobo.. but this time.. since the mobo will stay on without the CPU .. and not with it... I will go and bet my money on the CPU dying..

been a while since I see a dead CPU... that's why I am doubting msyelf a little. :)

Answer to my question is:

CPU problem.

the 4770k he has died a mysterious death, since he told me he doesn't even know how to OC. I got him a 4670k as replacement, (more suitable for him anyway) and now everything works fine.

... hated having to strip EVERYTHING, to find out in the end it was the CPU itself that's dead.

Answer to my question is:

CPU problem.

the 4770k he has died a mysterious death, since he told me he doesn't even know how to OC. I got him a 4670k as replacement, (more suitable for him anyway) and now everything works fine.

... hated having to strip EVERYTHING, to find out in the end it was the CPU itself that's dead.

Why didn't you get him a 4690K? Just curious.. :shrug:

Why didn't you get him a 4690K? Just curious.. :shrug:

Not out yet in Japan.

and he ain't gonna OC it pass 4.0Ghz anyway.
there's literally no difference at all for him between 4670k and 4690k

Im right there with you, although it has simply been a very long time since I have heard of this.

SAME HERE.

That is why I was sooooo split about blaming the Mobo instead.
I have been torturing CPUs for YEARS, almost none have perished..
but then, maybe my friend is an idiot and killed it without knowing... still.. there are no burnt, no damage on the CPU... just... quiet death.

My better judgement tells me it is the CPU that's dead.
but my experience for the last 15 yrs tells me motherboard. :p

hence this thread, and I need to thank those that concured with me it was CPU, I really needed the confidence for making that call then.

anyone want pictures of the dead CPU?

SAME HERE.

That is why I was sooooo split about blaming the Mobo instead.
I have been torturing CPUs for YEARS, almost none have perished..
but then, maybe my friend is an idiot and killed it without knowing... still.. there are no burnt, no damage on the CPU... just... quiet death.

My better judgement tells me it is the CPU that's dead.
but my experience for the last 15 yrs tells me motherboard. :p

hence this thread, and I need to thank those that concured with me it was CPU, I really needed the confidence for making that call then.

anyone want pictures of the dead CPU?

i wanna see pics with a viking burrial of it(floating on a raft while on fire) maybea vid with highway to hell in the background. Nice ideea eh?

i wanna see pics with a viking burrial of it(floating on a raft while on fire) maybea vid with highway to hell in the background. Nice ideea eh?

OMG that would be epic! Would be best if you could shoot a flaming arrow at it but i think it would sink! lol Either way a vid of this would be epic!

Back